Name: Dr. Dian Baker
Office Location: Folsom Hall Room 2029
Office Phone: (916) 278-7243
Mailing Address: Sacramento State - School of Nursing 6000 J Street Sacramento, CA 95819-6096
- Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Davis,
- Ph.D., Nursing, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- M.S.N., California State University, Sacramento
- M.A., Childhood Development, California State University, Sacramento
- B.S.N., California State University, Chico
Certifications and Credentials
- Credential for School Nursing Services, California State University, Sacramento
- Pediatric Nurse Associate/Practitioner certification program. University of California, Davis, extension
- Public Health Nurse Certification
- School Audiometrist
- Public health disaster response and preparedness certification
- Multi-hazard response training of trainers certification
Courses & Role
- College of Continuing Education Coordinator for the Paramedic Program
- NURS 209: Advanced Role Development in Nursing
- NURS 210: Research as a Foundation for Advanced Nursing Practice
- NURS 214: Education Program Development
- NURS 294: Practicum in Educational Program Development in Nursing
- NURS 215: Community Health and Health Policy
- NURS 213: Seminar in Organizational and Systems Leadership
- NURS 293: Practicum in Organizational and Systems Leadership
- NURS 500: Thesis Proposal and Development
- NURS 170: Foundations for Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
- NURS 171: Transitional Concepts: The Baccalaureate Nurse
- NURS 174: Community Health Nursing: Concepts and Practice
- NURS 170: Foundations for Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
- NURS 179: Professional Communication and Reasoning Development
International Teaching Experience
- Visiting professor. Japan Schools of Nursing.
- Kochi Prefectural University. Hyogo Prefectural University, and Women’s University in Tokyo. Consultant Japan National School Nurse Education Program.
- Volunteer Visiting Professor. University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Taught graduate level education, health promotion and community health courses for the first master’s in nursing program in Vietnam. Face to face and online courses.
- Volunteer consultant and teacher. American Samoa. Health, chronic conditions, education and disabilities.
- Quality Improvement and Health Policy
- Hospital-acquired Infections
- Persons with Development Disabilities
- Community-Academic Partnership Research
- International Nursing Education
- School Health and School Nursing
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Health
- Volunteer Clinical Faculty, Pediatrics, University of California, Davis Medical Center
- Consultant, Sutter Health System Hospital-acquired Pneumonia
- Consultant, Veterans Health Systems, Non-ventilator Hospital-acquired Pneumonia Prevention
- Consultant, Orlando Medical Center, Hospital-acquired Pneumonia
- Member, Sacramento Rescue and Restore Human Trafficking Coalition
- Member, U.S. Attorney General's Hate Crime Task Force for Northern California
- Munro, S., & Baker, D. (2019). Dental involvement in hospital-acquired pneumonia prevention. Michigan Dental Society. In-press.
- Munro, S., & Baker, D. (2018). Reducing missed care opportunities to prevent non-ventilator hospital-acquired pneumonia at the Department of Veterans Affairs. Applied Nursing Research, 44, 48-53.
- Baker, D. Quinn, B., Ewan, V., & Guiliano, K. (2018). Sustaining quality improvement: Long-term reduction of non-ventilator hospital-acquired pneumonia. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 10(47).
- Baker, D., & Quinn, B. (2018). Hospital acquired pneumonia prevention initiative-2: Incidence of hospital-acquired pneumonia in the United States. American Journal of Infection Control, 46(1), 2-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2017.08.036 https://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553(17)31042-8/pdf Manuscript was described in the Wall Street Journal as a feature article on health.
- Lagnado, Lucette. (2018). In hospitals, pneumonia is a lethal enemy. Wall Street Journal, February 2018. This study was also presented on several professional web pages and blogs.
- Giuliano, K., Baker, D., & Quinn, B. (2018). The epidemiology of non-ventilator hospital-acquired pneumonia in the US. American Journal of Infection Control,46(3), 322-327. https://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553(17)31056-8/pdfBaker, D.,Anderson, L., & Johnson, J. (2017). Building student and family-centered care coordination through ongoing delivery system design: How school nurses can implement care coordination. NASN School Nurse, 31(6),42-49. Podcast included with publication.
- Baker, D., Anderson, L., & Johnson, J. (2017). Building student and family-centered care coordination through ongoing delivery system design: How school nurses can implement care coordination. NASN School Nurse, 31(6),42-49. Podcast included with publication.
Baker, D. (2016). Developmental disabilities and human equity in Japan’s schools. Japanese Journal of School Health.
- Quinn, B., & Baker, D.(2015). Comprehensive oral care helps prevent hospital-acquired nonventilator pneumonia. American Nurse Today, 10(3), 18-23.
- Baker, D., Hebbeler, K., Davis-Alldritt, L., Anderson, L., & Knauer, H. (2015). School health services for children with special health care needs in California. Journal of School Nursing.
- Knauer, H., Baker, D., Hebbeler, K., & Davis-Alldritt, L. (2015). The mismatch between children’s health needs and school resources. Journal of School Nursing.
- Quinn, B., Baker, D. L., Cohen, S., Stewart, J., Lima, C. A., & Parise, C. (2014). Basic nursing care to prevent non-ventilator hospital acquired pneumonia. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 46(1), 11-19.
- Fang, D., & Baker D.(2013). Barriers and facilitators of cervical cancer screening among women of Hmong origin. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 24(2), 540-555.
- Selekman, J., Pelt, P., Garnier, S., & Baker, D.(2013). Violence in schools. In J. Selekman (Ed.). School Nursing: A Comprehensive Text. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis. American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year Award.
- Baker, D.,& Niederhauser, V. (2012). Improving immunization rates using a social determinants of health framework. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(37), 46-52.
- Niederhauser, V., & Baker, D.(2011). What’s new in childhood and adolescent immunization? The Journal for Nurse Practitioners,36(10),39-44.
- Baker D., Ly, M. Y., & Pauza, C. (2011) Hmong nurses in Laos during America’s secret war, 1954-1974. Women’s History Magazine(England), 65 (ISSN 1476-6760), 18-25.
- Baker, D.(2011). Conceptual Parameters of Acculturation within the Asian and Pacific Islander American Populations: Applications for Nursing Practice and Research. Nursing Forum, 46(2), 83-93.
- Morris, P., Baker, D., Belot, C., & Edwards, A. (2011). Examination of California’s school preparedness for anaphylaxis: School nurses perspective. Journal of School Health, 81(5), 471-476.
- Baker, D., Miller, E., Dang, M. T., Yaangh, C. S., & Hansen, R. (2010). Developing culturally responsive approaches to Southeast Asian America families experiencing developmental disabilities. Pediatrics, 126(S146-150).
- Baker, D., Dang, M., Ly, M.Y., Diaz, R. (2010). Perception of barriers to immunization among parents of Hmong origin. American Journal of Public Health,100(5), 839-845.
- Baker, D., Melnikow, J., Ly, M. Y., Shoultz, J., Niederhauser, V., & Diaz, R. (2010). Translation of health surveys using mixed-methods. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 42(4), 430-438.
- Dang, M. T., Warrington, D., Tung, T., Baker, D., Pan, R. J. (2007). A school-based approach to early identification and management of students with ADHD. The Journal of School Nursing, 23(1), 2–12.
- 2014. Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health. Issue Briefs: (1) Children with special health care needs: Lost at school? (2) Children with special health care needs: Who is caring for them at school? (3) Children with special health care needs: Underfunding leaves children without services
- 2013. Baker, D., & Jennings, M. Regional Assessment Survey on Assisting Victims of Human Trafficking in Sacramento. (Community report available from Sacramento Employment and Training Agency, Del Paso Blvd, Sacramento, CA.)
College of Health and Human Services Dean’s grant. Interventions to Improve Acute Care Outcomes for Persons with Intellectual and Other Disabilities. (Academic-service partnership). Co-investigator.
College of Health and Human Services Dean’s grant. Technology and application design to enhance healthcare leadership. (Academic-service partnership). Co-investigator.
College of Health and Human Services Dean’s research grant. E-leadership in the 21st Century. Partnership with Kaiser Permanente (academic-service partnership). Co-investigator.
- Care Coordination and the Health Care Home Curriculum Development. American Academy of Pediatrics. Principal Investigator.
- National Institutes of Health, Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities, R-24 grant. Principal Investigator. Improving Hmong Health through Community Based Participatory Research.
- Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities, UC Davis MIND Institute. Principal Investigator. Project to support research and teaching for Intellectual and other Developmental Disabilities.
- Dean’s Leadership Circle College of Health and Human Services. Principal Investigator. Diabetes among the Hmong Community.
- Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health. Principal Investigator. Schools’ Role in Systems of Care for Children with Special Health Care Needs.
Investigation of the Effectiveness of Oral Care for Prevention of Pneumonia. Co-Investigator
- Team member and researcher with Sutter Health for the C. Duane Dauner Quality Award from the California Healthcare Quality Institute. The award recognizes outstanding achievement in the area of patient safety, quality improvement and experience. 2015. Pathfinder Award for service with the Hmong Community
- Quality and Safety Research and Program Award for Non-ventilator Association Hospital-acquired Pneumonia Improvement Project. Sutter Health Systems
- Outstanding Faculty Award for Scholarly and Creative Activities, California State University, Sacramento
- Book of the Year Award. Authored chapter on School Violence. School of Nursing: A Comprehensive Text, 2ndEdition
- Outstanding Faculty Award for Community Service, California State University, Sacramento
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and Associates Foundation scholar award
- Pathfinder Award for service with the Hmong Community