Requesting a Letter of Recommendation from Dr. Gow
I am happy to write letters of recommendation for current and former students. In order for me to be able to do so, you must have completed at least one course with me with a good grade, and you should have spoken with me in office hours on a number of occasions.
The first time you request a letter of recommendation, you should ask me at least three weeks in advance. If I have written a letter on your behalf before, you should ask me at least two weeks in advance. If you don't ask me with enough time, I will have to decline your request. When requesting a letter of recommendation please send me an email with the following included:
- Your major or minor (if you have declared them yet).
- A brief description of the class or classes you have taken with me along with the semester(s) in which you took the course.
- A paragraph describing the program or opportunity to which you are applying, how your prior life experiences have prepared you for this opportunity, and how this opportunity fits into your personal goals.
- A brief description of your personality and how you see personality relating to this opportunity.
- A paragraph describing your academic achievements, grades, special projects, extra-curricular activities, and any barriers or challenges you have faced in becoming a student at Sac State. For example, are you the first in your family to go to college? Do you work a part-time job while going to school, etc.
- Any other information you would like me to include in my letter of recommendation.
Along with these, please include:
- Your most recent resume/ academic CV.
- Links to any forms that need to be filed out and instructions on how they should be submitted.
- The deadline by which I must submit your letter.
Please send me all of this information in one email and then send me a follow up email five days before the deadline. Writing letters of support so that students can obtain jobs, scholarships, and internships is one of the most rewarding parts of my job. If you are able to complete the above requests, I would be honored to write a letter of support on your behalf.