Diversity Awards Committee
Office of Graduate Studies
Faculty Representatives: 7
- Ben Fell, Civil Engineering (ECS), term ends 2014
- Deidre Sessoms, Teacher Education (EDUC), term ends 2014
- Joseph Palermo, History (A&L) - term Spring 2014
- Nick Ewing, Biological Sciences (NSM), term ends 2014
- Sun Jin Jez, Public Policy and Administration (SSIS), term ends 2015
- Yvette Farmer, Criminal Justice (HHS), term ends 2015
- Michele Foss-Snowden, Communication Studies (A&L), term ends 2015
Term of Service: 2 years
The Committee provides oversight for three system-wide programs.
- The Graduate Equity Fellowship Program
- Forgivable Loan/Doctoral Incentive Program
- Pre-Doctoral Program
The committee also provides oversight for the campus based program: Probationary Faculty Development Grant
To develop guidelines for the programs, to coordinate the implementation of various programs, to recommend participants or proposals and evaluate the program’s effectiveness: and make recommendations for change when necessary.
The committee’s charge is to develop implementation guidelines, review and recommend participants or proposals, make recommendations for changes when necessary, and evaluate the program’s effectiveness. Each fall the committee meets to review applications for the Probationary Faculty Development awards. In the spring the committee meets to review the diversity programs as well as review the applications and forward recommendations for the Graduate Equity Fellowship, the Chancellor’s Doctoral Incentive Program, and the Sally Casanova Pre-doctoral Program awards.
- 7 Faculty members recommended by the Faculty Senate
- 1 Staff member
- 2 Students
- Associate Vice President and Dean of Graduate Studies, ex-officio (Convener)
- Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Officer, ex-officio
- Assistant Vice President, Educational Equity & Student Retention, ex-officio
The recommendations and updates of the over-sight committee are made to the President through the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.