Skip to Main Content

Army ROTC Forged Gold Battalion

Support Page Content

Transferring or Graduate Students

Army ROTC Scholarship Opportunities:

Make sure you look into all scholarship options available to Sacramento State Students! Visit the Army ROTC National Scholarship site for a comprehensive listing and information on how to apply! Applications generally run from June 12 through Feb 14.

High School Student Scholarships

College Student Scholarships

National Guard Scholarships

Reserves Scholarships

Green to Gold Scholarships

Sac State University Scholarship Opportunities:

LTC Jeffery L. Tally, USA (Ret.) & Mrs. Janet Tally Scholarship

LTC Vance Hansen (USMC) Memorial Scholarship

Program Information

Contact our Recruiting Operations Officer (ROO), Mr. Jarrett Halverson, with any questions and to talk about the opportunities available for your situation.

Army ROTC Scholarship benefits include:

  • Full Tuition & Fees OR $10,000 for Room & Board
  • $1,200 Book Stipend per academic year
  • $420 Stipend per month (10 months / 12 months)

Program Curriculum

A transferring Cadet begins with a weekly 1-hour classes and is encouraged to participate in our physical training (PT) and our tactical labs. PT is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week from 0630 - 0730. Labs are every Wednesday from 1500-1700 (3 pm to 5 pm). The department provides transportation for off-campus activities.

Participation in Basic Camp and Advanced Camp over the summer permits a condensed 2-year completion timeline. View our curriculum overview and note that year one and two content is covered during Basic Camp.

Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP)

"Simultaneous" means students who are at the same time:

  • full-time college students (sophomore, junior, senior, or grad students)
  • currently serving (or willing to enlist) in the USAR or ARNG
  • enrolled in Army ROTC

In the SMP you participate in unit training with your USAR or ARNG unit one weekend a month, while earning your commission through ROTC. Upon college graduation, you will be commissioned as an officer in the Army, and have the option of either serving full-time on Active Duty, or part-time in the Army Reserves or Army National Guard.

To get into the SMP, students with no prior military service will attend Basic Combat Training (BCT) and Advanced Individual Training (AIT) during the summer and will be assigned to a local National Guard or Reserve unit upon completion of training. (Prospective cadets with prior military experience may simply be assigned to a unit.)

  • It is possible to join the ARNG and enroll in ROTC without going to Basic Training, but without Basic Training and AIT you are only eligible for a fraction of the tuition benefits available.
  • In most cases, completing BCT and AIT will take longer than the summer break and cause you to skip a semester, or half semester of classes. However, many students see this as a good bargain for the amount of financial aid it makes you eligible for.
  • Program Benefits:
    • Up to 100% tuition and fees paid
    • Cash enlistment bonus, depending on MOS
    • $300-$500 monthly ROTC stipend
    • $274.84 monthly drill pay
    • $309/month GI Bill (requires completion of BCT and AIT)
    • $350/month GI Bill Kicker (requires completion of BCT and AIT)
    • Basic soldier skills (BCT) and job skills (AIT)
    • Hands-on military experience by participating in your unit training

When you enlist in the USAR or ARNG you may choose an enlistment period of up to 6 years. However, as soon as you graduate college and get commissioned through ROTC (usually on the same day as graduation), your enlistment contract is terminated—no matter how much time is left on your enlistment.

Upon commissioning, you start a brand new career as an Army officer. That means that even though you were enlisted in the USAR or ARNG while going to school, you have the option of serving as an officer either full-time on Active Duty, or staying part-time as an officer in the USAR or ARNG.

Also, the job specialty (MOS) you had while enlisted has no bearing on your career options as an officer. If you like the field you were in as an enlisted soldier, you can choose that field as an officer. If not, you can pick any of the other 16 basic branches.

SMP does not lock you into--or out of--any commissioning options. You can still go on Active Duty, or switch from having been enlisted in the USAR to an officer in the ARNG (or vice versa). You can stay in your enlisted career field, or switch to something totally different.

Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD)

Cadets who know that when they graduate they only want to serve in a reserve component (USAR or ARNG) can request a GRFD contract. A GRFD contract means that you will not—either voluntarily or involuntarily—be given an Active Duty assignment after commissioning. By signing a GRFD contract, you agree to pick either a USAR or ARNG assignment upon commissioning.septemberccfa.png

It is not necessary to sign a GRFD contract in order to get a USAR or ARNG commission; you can request USAR or ARNG at the same time (the end of your junior year) as you request your career branch and other commissioning options. SMP participation is not required for GRFD contracting.