Support Page Content
Apply To Become a McNair Scholar
To be eligible to participate in the California State University, Sacramento McNair Scholars Program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be a first generation college student and meet federal low-income guidelines; OR be a member of a group traditionally underrepresented in graduate education (African American, Hispanic/Latino, Pacific Islander, or American Indian/Alaskan Native). A first generation college student is someone whose parent(s) or guardian(s) did not earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Have Completed 60 units prior to summer research program.
- Be nrolled at California State University, Sacramento on a full-time basis (minimum 12 units).
- Express a demonstrated commitment and desire to seek a Ph.D. in an academic discipline and/or a career in university teaching.
- Must have a minimum 2.8 GPA and must be making satisfactory progress toward a baccalaureate degree.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be willing to commit to program requirements. There is approximately a two-year commitment required for the program and a 10 year tracking requirement.
Application Package Checklist
To apply for the McNair Scholars Program, please submit the following:
- Compete application
- Personal Statement
- Writing Sample
- A copy of ALL college transcripts (including community colleges, other universities and CSUS)
- Three letters of recommendation along with the Faculty Recommendation Forms (two must come from faculty members referencing your academic capabilities and one personal i.e., employer, counselor, etc.)
- A copy of a current tax return and financial aid award summary; or documentation of income
How To Apply
- Completely fill out the application form.
- Obtain 3 letters of recommendation attesting to potential for study at the graduate level.
- Write a statement of purpose.
- Secure academic transcripts from all colleges attended.
- Submit a writing sample.
- Submit income documentation; copy of most recent tax statement and financial aid award summary.
Benefits Of The Program
- Opportunity to work with a faculty mentor;
- $2,800 stipend for summer research;
- Research training and scholarly experiences, including free attendance and participation in national conferences;
- Counseling through the graduate school graduate admission process;
- Fee waivers for application to numerous participating graduate schools and programs;
- GRE preparation;
- Publication of your research in the McNair Scholars Journal;
- Cultural Events;
- Funding to travel to travel and preview graduate programs;
- Strengthening of academic and research skills;
- National recognition as a McNair Scholar.
- Attend all mandatory workshops
- Complete the research methodology course
- Maintian communication between the McNair Program staff members and faculty mentors to discuss personal and academic needs
- Maintain academic progress and increase your GPA to a 3.0 or above by the time you are ready to graduate and apply to graduate school
- Participation in statewide and national conferences to present your research findings
- Participation in the McNair Scholars Symposium at Sac State
- Apply to and attend a graduate program upon completion of your undergraduate studies