Support Page Content
Campus Mail Service
Change in Service during COVID-19
Effective April 1, 2020, University Mail will no longer be delivering mail to department offices. Departments must now schedule an appointment to pick-up and drop-off their mail from the University Mail Center.
The University Mail Center will be open between the hours of 10:30 a.m - 2:30 p.m. Please call University Mail at 916-278-6783 to schedule an appointment during these hours. Scheduling appointments will enable the mail team to limit the number of individuals at the counter and allow them to prepare the mail for an expedient pick up.
Sacramento State operates a full-service campus mail center, processing official University business mail and printed materials for departments and approved University programs. This includes intra-campus mail as well as mail for delivery to the U.S. Post Office. University Mail also offers USPS, UPS, and FedEx shipping services, as well as express mail. University Mail also provides list certification, inserting, tabbing and addressing services.
Department Office Closure Notice
In the event that your department will be closed during the normal business hours, (M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.) please click here to Notify us of your Department Closure This will enable us to better prepare for deliveries that may be coming to your department.
To prepare mail for on-campus delivery (intra-campus mail)
- Only intra-campus manila or plain manila envelopes should be used for your intra-campus mail.
- When possible, you should band it separately from outgoing First Class mail.
- When using intra-campus envelopes, please remember to cross out the previous address and name.
- If you use regular white envelopes for this mail, your intra-campus mail could be processed as regular mail and your department charged for postage.
- When addressing intra-campus mail, the individual's name and campus mail stop are sufficient. You do not need to use the building, room number, or telephone extension when addressing intra-campus mail.
By following these guidelines, you ensure that your mail will experience the quickest possible processing time and expedited delivery to its final destination.
May I use a white envelope for on-campus (intra-campus) mail?
Use only manila colored envelopes when sending mail to campus mail stops. White envelopes go off-campus; manila envelopes stay on-campus (except large flats or clasp). This approach expedites sorting and speeds your mail on its way to the intended recipient. Mixing white business-size envelopes (#10) directed to on-campus addresses with your other out-going mail could result in the on-campus envelopes being metered with postage. Those postage fees will be charged to your department's budget.
University Housing Services
Student mail should not be addressed to the general campus address. Each residence hall has a unique street address. If you are sending mail to a student in University Housing Services, please see below for the correct address to use for your students' residence hall.
U.S. Postal Service Mail
The following is general information about the U.S. Postal Service mail. For information about specific mailings, consult the U.S. Postal Service online guide or contact University Mail at x86783.
U.S. Postal Rates
|First Class Letter
|Postcard||Express Mail||First Class Flat
|Certified Mail||First Class Parcel
U.S. Postal Service Size Standards
|Media||Max. Size||Min. Size||Max. Thick||Min. Thick||Max. Weight|
|Postcards||6 x 4.5 in.||5 x3 .5 in.||.007 in.|
|Letters||11.5 x 6.125 in.||5 x 3.5 in.||.25 in.||.007 in.|
|Flats||12 x 15 in.||.75 in.|
|All postcards, letters, and flats not standard in size, will be charged a surcharge of 10¢ each, in addition to normal postage charges.|
|Priority & Parcel Post||108 in. (length and girth combined)||70 lbs.|
|Folded Self Mailer||6 x 10.5 in.||3.5 x 5 in.||.007 in.||3 oz.|
- Postage is charged to each department through the use of its postage account number (speedchart). University Mail is not responsible for monitoring individual use of account numbers. All valid speedcharts will be processed. Mail without speedchart account numbers will be returned to the department.
- Postage account numbers (speedchart) must appear in the upper left-hand corner of all outgoing envelopes or packages as the last line of the return address. Postage charges are reflected on the department's monthly Cost Recovery Report generated by IRT and located in the Financial Data Warehouse (FDW).