About The Department
The English department of California State University, Sacramento, is a community of teachers, scholars, writers, and support staff whose primary mission is to promote learning in composition, creative writing, English education, linguistics, literature, and the teaching of English as a second language.
We offer two Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees: a B.A. in English and a B.A. in English-Precredential. Minor programs include Creative Writing, English, and TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages); we also offer TESOL and Professional Writing certificates.
- English M.A. (with concentrations in Creative Writing and Literature): For students who wish to further their understanding of literature or their creative writing talent; preparation for teaching at community colleges, a career in writing, and/or admission to a Ph. D. or MFA program.
- MA in Composition Rhetoric, and Professional Writing: Offers preparation for careers in fields such as education, journalism, publishing, law, technical writing, advertising, arts administration, or civil service; or to pursue study at the doctoral level. We also offer certificates in Teaching Composition.
- TESOL M.A.: Recommended for candidates wishing to teach ESL in community college programs or in university programs in the US or overseas. We also offer certificates in TESOL.
Student & Faculty Resources
- Student Employment
- Faculty Office Hours - Spring 2022
- 2022 Bazzanella Literary Award
- Fall 2022 Course Description Booklet
- Spring 2022 Course Description Booklet
Graduate Student Resources
Advising and Program Worksheets
Prospective Students: If you are a prospective student looking for information on our undergraduate and graduate/MA curricula, please see the University Catalog.
Undergraduate Advising Worksheets: Current English majors and English faculty can access UNDERGRADUATE advising worksheets (ENGL BA and ENGL BA Pre-Cred).
Graduate/MA Advising Worksheet: Current English majors and English faculty can access GRADUATE advising worksheets for our English; Composition, Rhetoric, and Professional Writing; and TESOL MA programs and certificates.
Undergraduate Minors and Certificate Worksheets: Current English majors and English faculty can access advising worksheets.
Current students who cannot access the links above, please send your name and student id# to email@example.com and request access to the English Department Student Portfolio and Advising site.