Support Page Content
Foreign Language Graduation Requirement (FLGR)
Undergraduate students are required to meet a foreign language requirement for the baccalaureate degree.
The policy requires proficiency to be demonstrated at an intermediate-level comparable to the second semester of college-level language classes (all 1B language classes, SPAN 1C & SPAN 7), including American Sign Language (ASL)*. However, some majors have been given an exemption from the FLGR. Those programs are listed below and are also noted in their catalog section. Students who change majors and are no longer in an exempt program will be subject to the University’s Foreign Language Graduation Requirement.
* For more information on how American Sign Language (ASL) fulfills the Foreign Language Graduation Requirement, please visit the American Sign Language & Deaf Studies website or contact:
Office: Eureka Hall 437
Before Sacramento State Enrollment
The FLGR may be met by any one of the following:
- completion of the third year of a foreign language in high school (grade of “C-” or better);
- graduation from a secondary school where the language of instruction was not English;
- advanced Placement Foreign Language Examination scores of 3, 4, or 5 or by earning CLEP & IB credits; or
- completion of two semesters of a foreign language at a community college or university, with a grade of “C-” or better.
After Sacramento State Enrollment
If the FLGR has not been completed through one of the above options, students must complete one of the following options:
- passing elementary-level proficiency tests in two of four skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking. One of the tests passed must be in reading or writing. A proficiency test is given in Spanish (see below) and other languages (see below).
- completing the second semester or equivalent (1B) of a college-level language (including ASL) course with a grade of “C-” or better.
Proficiency Testing: Spanish
A Spanish Proficiency Test (SPT) is offered by this department in a group setting, in an online format, multiple times per semester (Fall and Spring only). This test may only be taken once. The fee for the SPT is $25. Students will be tested on the following elementary-level skills equivalent to SPAN 1B:
- Reading Comprehension, Reading Grammar & Writing – they must pass two of these skills in order to meet the FLGR for Sac State.
Spanish Proficiency Test Dates
The Fall 2020 test dates have yet to be determined.
Transferring A Fulfilled Requirement
Students will be required to submit official high school or college transcripts or other admissions documents to verify the completion of this requirement to:
- Students applying to Sacramento State are required to send official transcripts from all previous schools attended to:
Attn: Incoming Transcripts
6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6048
- Current students attending another school concurrently or during summer are also required to send official transcripts to:
Office of the University Registrar
Attn: Additional Credit
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819-6056
Proficiency Testing: All Other Languages
Update: Due to the interim measures based on the Coronavirus (COVID-19), please submit completed Foreign Language Proficiency Testing Evaluation forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is recommended to complete this evaluation this semester (Spring 2020) only if you are graduating in Spring or Summer 2020. When contacting an approved evaluator for a meeting, we recommend using an online platform such as ZOOM Video Conferencing (https://zoom.us/) to complete the evaluation. If this does not apply to you, please wait until Fall 2020 to complete this evaluation.
Approved Evaluators - all evaluators on this list do not require any additional documentation other than the official department form.
Qualifications for Evaluators
If the evaluator* is located within the Department of World Languages & Literatures or is employed by the university or its affiliates, then the completed evaluation form is the only documentation necessary for submission.
If the evaluator is not included on our list of recommended and approved evaluators or employed by the University, they must provide an additional written statement printed on company, agency or institutional letterhead briefly describing their qualifications as well as all skills were tested and an overall assessment. The evaluator’s contact information must be accurate and up-to-date in the event that the University Registrar chooses to contact them for verification or clarification – this responsibility lies solely with the student. The evaluator must not be realted to the test taker and it is reccomended that they have some experience in the teaching field and be in good standing with their community.
Please submit all completed proficiency test forms and supporting documents to our office in Mariposa Hall 2051. If the office is closed, completed forms and couments may be deposited in the department "Drop Box" located in the front door of MRP 2051 - be sure to make a copy for yourself first.
*All evaluators must have Sac State email and extention in case the Registrar needs to make contact.
If you have declared any of the following majors, then you are EXEMPT from the Foreign Language Graduation Requirement:
- Business Administration - all concentrations
- Computer Science - all concentrations
- Chemistry - B.S. only
- Engineering - all concentrations
- Health Sciences - all concentrations
- Kinesiology: Athletic Training, Exercise Science
- Nursing - all concentrations
- Physics - B.S. only
- Recreation, Parks, Tourism Administration