Support Page Content
Covid-19 Long-Hauler Research Projects
- Assess cognitive-communication skills in those with Covid Long-Hauler syndrome.
- Develop cognitive-communication treatment for this syndrome to improve quality of life, independence, return to prior activities.
What is Covid Long-Hauler syndrome?
Post-COVID conditions include a wide range of new, returning, or ongoing health problems, usually lasting four or more weeks after first being infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. It can also affect people who had little or no initial symptoms. There are different types of long-hauler syndrome, and can combine with existing health problems and last different amounts of time.
Since July 2021, Long COVID is considered a disability under the ADA https://www.hhs.gov/civil-rights/for-providers/civil-rights-covid19/index.html
What are the Symptoms of Covid Long-Hauler syndrome?
Symptoms can include:
- Shortness of breath or dyspnea
- Cough, Atypical Chest Pain, Fever
- Loss of smell (anosmia) and taste (ageusia)
- Depression and/or anxiety
- Cognitive functioning, including memory and concentration problems
- Quality of Life
Cognitive-Communication Issues Reported by Covid Survivors
Long-covid cognitive communication issues that have been reported by survivors include:
- Feeling “foggy”
- Slowed processing
- Executive Functions
- Significantly reduced cognitive reserve and overall cognitive endurance
Support for those with Covid Long-Hauler syndrome:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/403253670593600
- Support groups https://covidsurvivorsforchange.org/survivor-resources/
- Resources: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/odep/topics/coronavirus-covid-19-long-covid
- Long Covid SOS: https://www.longcovidsos.org/
- Body Politic Support Group: https://www.wearebodypolitic.com/covid19
- BIPOC Women Long Covid ‘Long Hauler’ Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/612996309629250/
Do You have Long-Haul COVID Symptoms? Seeking Volunteers for Study
Did you have Covid-19 and now have persistent issues, sometimes called “Long-Hauler Covid”?
Do you have thinking changes in memory, attention, how fast you can think, and/or coming up with words?