Skip to Main Content

Department of Physical Therapy College of Health & Human Services

Support Page Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the DPT program at Sacramento State Accredited?

Yes. The Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) has awarded full accreditation to our program through December 2025. For additional information visit the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education website at

How long is the program?

The DPT program is 3 years in length including summers (9 semesters).

Do you offer part‐time evening classes?

No. The program is entirely full‐time, with no option for part‐time enrollment.

How much does it cost to attend Sacramento State's DPT program?

Tuition is charged as a flat rate per semester fee (not based on credit hours) and remains the same throughout the academic year. Currently tuition is $9469 per semester, which includes the mandatory campus fees, for a total of 9 semesters. Non‐resident students pay the same fees, plus an additional $396 per unit. The minimum required units for the 3 year program is 105 units.

There will be additional costs for textbooks, campus parking permits, background checks, living expenses, major medical health insurance (required during clinical experiences), and travel to clinical sites that are the students' responsibility.

Tuition and campus fees are subject to change. For a detail listing of all tuition and campus fees visit the Bursar's Office website.

What are the graduate's passing rates on the licensure exam?

Our graduates are highly successful in passing the licensure exam, with rates consistently well above the state and national average rates. The 2019 and 2020 graduates had a 96.8% first‐time pass rate, compared to the U.S. average of 93.1%. Our ultimate pass rate as a DPT program is 100%.

In what area of study should I get my baccalaureate degree?

You can get your degree in any area of study as long as you meet the minimum requirements needed to apply.

I don't have my bachelor's degree yet, can I still apply?

Although a bachelor’s degree is required for entrance into the program, you can apply prior to receiving your degree. The physical therapy program is an entry‐level doctorate program and requires that all students have a bachelor’s degree when they matriculate in August. We will accept students with bachelor’s degrees in any field.

How many students do you accept?

We accept 32 students each Fall Semester.

Do you have an early decision process?

No. The DPT program does not have an early decision process.

Do you require the GRE?

Yes. All applicants to the DPT program must submit their GRE scores with their PTCAS application. The PTCAS GRE code for Sacramento State is 7588.

Do you have minimum scores for the GRE?

Yes. We require a minimum Analytical score of 3.5 and a minimum Quantitative score of 29th percentile. We do not have a minimum requirement for the Verbal section.

If I take the GRE more than once, what scores will you use?

We use the highest score earned in each section of the GRE, within the previous five years, if multiple scores are available.

What is the last date I can take the GRE?

The last date to take the GRE is October 1st.

Does my application need to be verified by PTCAS by the deadline?

No. Although you must submit your PTCAS application by the application deadline, we will not begin reviewing your materials until PTCAS has verified your file and that process can take several weeks. We do encourage you to submit your application before the deadline, if possible.

When will I find out if I have been selected for an interview?

All applicants will be notified if they will receive an invitation to interview by mid‐December. Interviews are generally held late January or Early February.

Where can I find information about financial aid and scholarships?

Visit the Financial Aid website for information on the financial aid and scholarships. In addition, the Department of Physical Therapy has a few scholarships that are available to students enrolled in the program.

Will I be required to have health insurance?

All students are required to maintain major medical health insurance coverage prior to beginning their clinical education experiences. This includes coverage beyond the scope of the basic campus student health center coverage.

Will a background check and/or drug screening be required?

Level I criminal background screens will be required of all students during the program, and results are made available direct from the student to affiliating hospitals and clinics that require them for clinical externships. The 10‐panel drug screens are often required of students in the program, prior to their clinical education experiences, and are given on a case‐by‐case basis. Some facilities, in addition, may require additional or different drug screening prior to the beginning of clinical education experiences.

Will I need to be CPR certified?

Current CPR certification for mandated responders is required from all students in order to participate in clinical affiliations. This must be a certification course designed for people who have a duty to respond ‐ such as lifeguards and other health professionals ‐ and must be maintained throughout the term of your studies and clinical externships. The required American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers course includes infant, pediatric and adult CPR, the bag‐valve‐mask and use of an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED). Online courses are not acceptable.

Will I be able to work an outside job while enrolled in the DPT program?

Working while pursuing your degree is discouraged. There is very little time available outside of class and study time.

Can I apply if I already have a Bachelor's Degree in Physical Therapy?

I received my Bachelor's Degree in Physical Therapy and would like to get my DPT. Can I apply to your program?

No, Sacramento State is an entry‐level program for students seeking their first degree in physical therapy. The program does not accept applicants that already have a degree in physical therapy. We recommend applicants contact the American Physical Therapy Association at for information on programs that offer a post‐professional degree.

I am a foreign trained physical therapist. Can I apply to your program?

I am a foreign trained physical therapist and wish to be licensed in the United States. Can I apply to your program?

No, Sacramento State's program is an entry‐level program for students seeking their first degree in physical therapy. We recommend you contact the Physical Therapy Board of California for information regarding your situation on how to become licensed in California.