Skip to Main Content

Liberal Studies Social Sciences & Interdisciplinary Studies

Support Page Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Advising Questions

Besides teaching, what can I do with a Liberal Studies degree?

The major is excellent preparation for careers in public service, business, management, counseling, law, psychology, librarianship, medicine, and professional or graduate school. We have information on graduate school programs and resources as well as job search engines and resources. Come on into our office and we'll help you get the resources you need!

Should I be a Liberal Studies major if I want to teach only at the high school level?

No, it's best for you to major in the subject you want to teach in high school. Once you receive your Bachelor's degree in the major you studied, you will then go into a single subject teaching credential program.

I attended Orientation, I saw an advisor last semester, my degree plan is not changing, and/or I am graduating this/next semester, do I still have to come in for in-person advising?

Yes, every student must see an advisor at least once a semester.

How soon during the semester can I come in for advising?

Students are encouraged to come in for advising as soon as the semester begins! Our office puts registrations holds on all students that have not come in for advising after the fourth week of instruction.

I have a registration hold on my account and I want to register for classes next semester, but the advisors in EAB are booked. What should I do?

Find the next available slot with the same or different advisor in EAB. It is faster and more convenient to check for any cancellations in EAB or you can call the office, (916) 278-6342, to check. Here in the office, we have the same process to look for cancellations, we check EAB as well. We cannot lift your registration hold unless you meet with an advisor.

I would like to change my major to Liberal Studies, what do I do?

Make an appointment with any of our Liberal Studies Advisors on EAB. Bring a Change of Major form with you to your advising appointment. The advisor will talk to you about the program and classes you will need to take, and from the advisor will sign off on the form. Once the advisor and the Liberal Studies Chair signs off on the form, you have to bring the Change of Major form to the Registrar's Office, Lassen Hall 2000, for final processing.

I don't want to be a Liberal Studies major anymore and there is a registration hold on my account, what is the process of getting the hold removed?

The Change of Major form has to be signed off by your new major advisor and department chair and turned into the Registrar's Office. You can either come into our office, Lassen 2008, to show us that the form has been signed or email a scan of the signed Change of Major form to our Director and Liberal Studies student assistant.

If you want to change to Undeclared, a Deletion of Major form, must be completed. Ultimately, both the Change of Major and Deletion of Major form must be turned into the Registrar's Office for final processing. Once you have showed our office in person or via email of the signed copy, we will check your account, and remove the hold.

I'm running late to my advising appointment, can my advisor still meet with me?

Department appointment policy: Students can be late up to 10 minutes before their appointment is canceled. It is up to the advisor's discretion to meet with you if you are 10 minutes late.

Can I call to schedule a meeting with an advisor over the phone?

No, if you are a current Sacramento State student, you schedule the appointment in EAB. If you're not a Sacramento State student, please call our office, (916) 278-6342, and we will schedule an appointment for you in EAB.

I need to cancel my advising appointment, can I cancel over the phone and reschedule?

No, we ask all students to cancel at least 24 hours in advance in EAB if they cannot make their appointment so another student can take the appointment slot in the system. If you're canceling less than 24 hours in advance please call our office (916) 278-6342.

I don't want to take the ALEKS PPL and I know I'm not strong in math, which math class should I take?

You can take Math 9 for remedial help, Math 9 will prepare you for Math 17. The final for Math 9 is essentially the ALEKS. However, if you want to skip Math 9 and go straight into Math 17, you'll need to pass the ALEKS.

I passed the IAD (Intermediate Algebra Diagnostic) and I am in MATH 107A this semester, do I still have to take the ALEKS PPL (Placement, Preparation and Learning) and show my IAD score to my math instructor?

No, you do not have to take ALEKS PPL if you already passed the IAD. However, you may need to show your math instructor your IAD score. ALEKS PPL is the new assessment that incoming Fall 2017 first year and transfer students need to take.

I accidentally lost my IAD (Intermediate Algebra Diagnostic) score that was printed and given to me, what do I do?

Contact the Mathematics & Statistics Department and ask if they could reprint your score, their contact number is (916) 278-6534 and they are located in Brighton Hall 141. The Liberal Studies & Social Science Programs Office does not get or keep IAD scores.

I need my Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) form signed, can any advisor in Liberal Studies sign it?

Yes, make an appointment with any of our Liberal Studies Advisors on EAB. Make sure to check the SAP Policy if you have questions.

I would like to meet with an advisor during the summer or winter intersession, can I schedule an appointment?

Yes, during the summer our Lead Advisor, Kristen Anderegg, can help our students in August after student orientation concludes. Current SacState students will be able to see advising appointments in EAB in late July for August. If you are not available to come in for in person advising during the summer or winter intersession, and are not a current student at Sacramento State, email her your situation along with unofficial transcripts from all of the community colleges and universities you have attended and she can advise you over email.

Do I have to complete General Education requirements in addition to the Liberal Studies traditional and non-traditional major requirements?

No, Sacramento State's General Education requirements are incorporated into the Liberal Studies traditional and non-traditional programs. Separate graduation requirements include the Writing Intensive (WI) course and foreign language requirement.

Is there a blended program, where I can get my Bachelor's degree and teaching credential in a certain amount of years, at SacState?

No, not at this time.

Do I have to major in Liberal Studies to become an elementary and/or special education teacher?

No, a student must have a bachelor's degree (any major) and must also demonstrate subject matter competency in multiple subjects by taking the multiple subject CA Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET). However, if you major in the Liberal Studies traditional route, you will receive a Subject Matter Program Completion Verification form so you are exempt from taking the CSET exam!

Once a student receives their Bachelor's degree, the student applies to a CA multiple subject or special education credential program. Once the student has completed the CA multiple subject or special education credential program, the student is now authorized to teach elementary to special education.

What's the difference between a minor and concentration?

A concentration is a mini minor, a cluster of course within a subject matter. To complete a minor, a student must complete 9-15 units (depending on the concentration). A minor focuses on a specific discipline but in more depth, in order for the minor to be shown on the transcript 18-21 units (depending on the minor) must be completed. A concentration is not notated on transcript.

What concentrations can I choose from in the traditional Liberal Studies program? Can I do a minor instead?

Students can choose from 14 different concentrations. A concentration is a 12 unit area of focus in which the student will develop knowledge in a discipline of special interest. Concentrations are linguistics and composition, literature, mathematics, natural science, world history, US history, American studies, California studies, multicultural studies, art, theatre, music, physical education, and human development. Students can choose to minor instead of a concentration, however a minor is a pattern of courses similar to the major, but less comprehensive. Units for the minor varies, but most minors require 18 - 21 units. A minor is posted on the official transcript, not on the diploma.

I typed in to make an advising appointment, but I'm getting an error message, what do I do?

If you're using your phone to make an appointment, we recommend you try making an appointment on a computer. If you're still having issues making an appointment using a computer, please call our office (916) 278-6342.

CSET Waiver Questions

I submitted a CSET Waiver form, who do I contact to find out where it is in the process?

Kristen Anderegg, our lead advisor, reviews, completes, and mails the Waiver form to the Credential Office (College of Education) in 3 business days. To contact the Credential Office, call (916) 278-4567 or go to Eureka Hall 414. Once the Credential Office has approved your form, they will mail it to the address that is listed on the Waiver form. Liberal Studies does not get any copies nor are we aware if your Waiver has been signed.

Co-Curricular Questions

Is there a Liberal Studies club/student organization?

No. Students are encouraged to join and get involved with various student organizations based on your interests. Please visit Student Organizations & Leadership for more information. Some students will join the Sacramento State Student California Teachers Association (SCTA).

Orientation Questions

I am a transfer/first year student and I cannot come to my designated Liberal Studies orientation, what do I do?

Contact the Orientation Office and email our lead advisor Kristen Anderegg about your situation so they can further assist you.

Currently I am signed up to attend orientation for Liberal Studies majors, but I want to switch to another major, how do I switch my Orientation date to the major I want?

Contact the Orientation Office and they can help get in the proper major advising when you come in for Orientation

Registration Questions

I have taken the Writing Placement for Juniors (WPJ) Exam, received a score, but I'm not sure what the scores mean and which English class to take. What English class am I supposed to take?

If you score 60/50, you have to take ENGL 109W or ENGL 109M and then pass a Writing Intensive (WI) course with a C- or higher, and this will complete the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) for your bachelor's degree.

If you score 70, you have to take and pass a Writing Intensive (WI) course with a C- or higher and concurrently take 109X, and this will complete the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) for your bachelor's degree.

If you score 80, you can take a Writing Intensive (WI) course and have to pass with a C- or higher to complete the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) for Sacramento State for your bachelor's degree.

If you score 90, placement was fulfilled by another CSU campus. You must pass a Writing Intensive (WI) course with a C- or higher to complete the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) for your bachelor's degree.

The system isn't allowing me to register for EDUC 124A/B and/or EDUC 170 and it says it's reserved. What do I do?

You can call the College of Education's Office at (916) 278-6639 or visit them in Eureka Hall 401. These classes are managed by the College of Education, and they have these classes reserved for Credential students first.

I am enrolled in Geol 8, but I could not get into the Geol 8T lab. Do I have to take it in the same semester?

No, you can take Gelo 8T the semester after Geol 8, but you cannot take 8T before 8.

I took 3 years of a language course in high school, but it has been years since I have practiced or been in that class. Will that be a problem?

No, students at Sacramento State need 3 years of the same language (either taken high school and/or community college) to meet graduation requirements. It does not matter how recent those courses were taken.

I haven't taken the WPJ yet, can I enroll in ENGL 116A or ENGL 116B? I have taken the WPJ and I received a passing score of 70, can I take ENGL 116 A and ENGL 116B in the same semester?

If you haven't taken the WPJ, you will not be able to enroll into ENGL 116 A or B. If you have passed the WPJ (minimum score of 70), yes you can take ENGL116 A and B in the same semester.

SacState Credential Program Questions

I have questions about the Teaching Credentials Program at Sacramento State, who should I contact?

You can visit the Teaching Credentials office in Eureka Hall 401 or you can call them at (916) 278-6639.