Support Page Content
“Believe” Campus Murals with Wide Open Walls
Six artists will be selected from the Sacramento State community, including students, faculty, staff, and alumni. In addition, WOW will curate one professional artist.
Murals measuring approximately 7' x 30' will be displayed for one year on Santa Clara Hall and painted over annually. Each year will be a continued show of commitment to campus antiracism and inclusivity with a related but new theme that will grow with our campus.
This event is being coordinated by University Communications, the Division of Inclusive Excellence, the College of Arts and Letters, Facilities Management, and other campus stakeholders.
Mural Location: Santa Clara Hall
This theme is inspired by the AICP Action Plan, which outlines the goals and steps the entire campus community will take to achieve them. Understanding where we are and believing in what we can become serves as the foundation of our collective effort to become a more just and inclusive campus community.
No mural experience is necessary, but painting experience and an available portfolio is preferred.
All entries must include:
- Artist portfolio, website or social media links (if applicable)
- Examples of three completed artworks with a brief description, 50 words maximum, for each piece.
- A written statement of interpretation of the theme “Believe” as it applies to our region and campus in terms of antiracism and inclusivity, 250 words maximum.
- Proposed sketch/design concept for the mural to be painted
Submissions will be accepted online between August 12 – September 19, 2022.
Submit Your Entry Here
Entries will be scored on:
- Originality and artistry of completed artworks submitted
- Impact of the written interpretation of the theme
- Adherence to the theme in the proposed sketch
- Creativity, uniqueness, and originality in the proposed sketch
- Overall impression of the completed artworks and proposed sketch
A selection panel will independently score the submissions and the artists with the top scores will be invited to participate.
A minimum of two artists selected will be current students. The remaining four will be selected from the student, faculty, staff, and alumni applicant pool.
Selected artists will be notified by email and phone, on or about October 4.
Participating artists must confirm participation within three (3) days of notification to secure their spot. If the spot is not confirmed, WOW will contact the next qualified artist to fill the spot.
In the case not enough qualified entries are received from Sacramento State students, faculty, staff, and alumni to fill the six Sac State panels, the WOW curator may select local artists to participate.
Each Sac State student artist will receive a stipend from WOW upon completion of their murals.
The mural painting on campus will take place in mid October.
More information will be posted here as it becomes available. If you have questions, please email email@example.com.
*Dates are subject to change.