Name: Jonathan Kaplan
Office Location: Tahoe Hall Room 3017
Office Phone: 916-278-4367
Mailing Address: Sacramento State 6000 J Street Sacramento, CA 95819-6043
Office Hours: Please check with Economics Department
Courses that I teach
- ECON 1B: Introduction to Microeconomic Analysis
- ECON 100B: Intermediate Microeconomic Theory
- ECON 123: Resource Economics
- ECON 145: Research Methods
- ECON 241: Applied Econometric Analysis
- ECON 265: Cost Benefit Analysis
“Stay-at-Home Orders during the COVID-19 Pandemic Reduced Urban Water Use.” (with Dongyue Li, Ruth A. Engel, Xiaoyu Ma, Erik Porse, Steven A. Margulis, and Dennis P. Lettenmaier.) Environmental Science & Technology Letters 2021, DOI: 10.1021/acs.estlett.0c00979.
"Long-Term Benefits of Protecting Table Grape Vineyards against Trunk Diseases in the California Desert." (with Gispert, Carmen, Elizabeth Deyett, and Philippe E. Rolshausen). Agronomy 10, no. 12 (2020): 1895.
“Managing Grapevine Trunk Diseases in California’s Southern San Joaquin Valley.”(with K. Baumgartner, V. Hillis, M. Lubell, and M. Norton) American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, 2019. https://doi.org/10.5344/ajev.2019.18075.
“Preventative Disease Management and Grower Decision Making: A Case Study of California Wine-Grape Growers.” (with K. Baumgartner, V. Hillis, and M. Lubell). Phytopathology (2017) 107(6): 704-710. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-07-16-0274-R.
“Identifying Economic Hurdles to Early Adoption of Preventative Practices: The Case of Trunk Diseases in California Winegrape Vineyards.” (with K. Baumgartner, R. Travadon, M. Cooper, V. Hillis, and M. Lubell). Wine Economics and Policy, (2016) 5(2): 127-141.
“The role of pest control advisers in preventative management of grapevine trunk diseases,” (with V. Hillis, M. Lubell, D. Doll, and K. Baumgartner), Phytopathology (2015): http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-10-15-0250-R.
“Testing the efficiency of dry--‐year water options with market experiments”, (with K. Hansen and S. Kroll), GWF Discussion Paper 1405 (2014) Global Water Forum, Canberra, Australia.
“Assessing the returns to R&D on perennial crops: the costs and benefits of Pierce’s disease research in the California winegrape industry,” (with J. Alston, K. Fuller, and K.B. Tumber) Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics (2014): DOI 10.1111/1467-8489.12045.
“Valuing Options in Water Markets: A Laboratory Investigation,” (with K. Hansen and S. Kroll) Environmental and Resource Economics (2014): DOI 10.1007/s10640-013-9659-6.
“Economic Consequences of Pierce’s Disease and Related Policy in the California Winegrape Industry,” (with J. Alston, K. Fuller, and K.P. Tumber) Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 38:2 (2013): 269-297.
“Multiple Environmental Externalities and Manure Management Policy,” (with N. Key) Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 32:1 (2007): 115-134.
“Policy Design and Conservation Compliance on Highly Erodible Lands,” (with K. Giannakas), Land Economics 81(1) (2005): 20-33.
“Nonpoint Source Pollution Control under Incomplete and Costly Information,” (with Y. H. Farzin) Environmental and Resource Economics 28(2004): 489-506.
“The Manure Hits the Land: Economic and Environmental Implications for US Agriculture when Land Application of Manure is Constrained,” (with R. Johansson and M. Peters) American Journal of Agricultural Economics 86(2004): 688-700.
“A Carrot and Stick Approach to Environmental Improvement: Marrying Agri-Environmental Payments and Water Quality Regulations,” (with R. Johansson) Agricultural and Resource Economics Review 33(2004): 91-104.
“An Information-Theoretical Approach to Budget Constrained Nonpoint Source Pollution Control,” (with R. Howitt and Y. H. Farzin) Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 46 (2003): 106-130, doi:10.1016/S0095-0696(02)00035-9.
“Estimating Nonpoint Source Pollution: An Application of a Sequential Entropy Filter,” (with R. Howitt), Water Resources Research 38(3) (2002): 10.1029/2000WR000088.
Standardized Regulatory Impact Assessment (SRIA): Proposed Regulations for Manufacturers of Adult-Use and Medical Cannabis (with E. Eschker, J. Zender, F. Krissman, J. Meisel, and A. Silvaggio) Report prepared by the Humboldt Institute for Interdisciplinary, Humboldt State University and submitted to the California Department of Public Health, April 2018.
The Economic Impacts of Central Valley Salinity, (with R.E. Howitt, D. Larson, D. MacEwan, J. Medellín-Azuara, G. Horner, and N.S. Lee) Final Report to the State Water Resources Control Board Contract 05-417-150-0, March 20, 2009 retrieved from ftp://swrcb2a.waterboards.ca.gov/pub/swrcb/cvsp.
An Economic Evaluation of a Rigs-to-Reefs Program for California Coastal Waters Kaplan, (with S. Kroll), Center for Strategic Economic Research, Sacramento, CA, June 2007
The Monetary Value of Wetland Benefits in the Sacramento – San Joaquin Delta, (with B. Currier) Office of Water Programs, California State University Sacramento, December 2006.
“Water-Air Tradeoffs at the Farm Level” (with N. Key) in Managing Manure to Improve Air and Water Quality Economic Research Report No. 9 (ERR9), Economic Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, 65 pp, September 2005 https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=46351.
“National Analysis: Industry Effects of Manure Management,” (with R. Johansson and M. Peters) in Manure Management for Water Quality: Cost of Land Applying Nutrients from Animal Feeding Operations,” Agricultural Economic Report, Economic Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, July 2003. https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=41587.
"Maine's Household Garbage," (with G. Criner, S. Juric, and N. Houtman), Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station, University of Maine, Bulletin 841, February 1994.
"An Agent Based Model of ACP/HLB in California Citrus - Preliminary Results on the Effects of Insecticide and Coordination on the Spread of HLB" (with S. Haynes and A. Singh), Research Note 2021-2, December 2021.
- Economics of Grapevine Trunk Diseases
- Economics of Huanglongbing and Asian Citrus Psylid Management and Control Options
- Developing Strategies for Increasing Marketable Yield in California and Florida Pomegranate Orchards
- Economic Impacts of Urban Water Use Efficiency Measures in California
- Economic Consequences of Yolo Bypass Salmonid Habitat Restoration and Fish Passage Project
- Economic Hurdles to Adoption of Wood Canker Disease Controls in California Grape Production
- Quantifying the Cost of Regulation for California’s Manufactured Cannabis Industry
- Testing Financial and Environmental Governance Institutions in the Economics Laboratory
- Financing Stormwater Control in Economically Disadvantaged Communities
- An Experiment on Alternative Water Market Structures and Organizations
- A Laboratory Investigation of a Congestion Externality: Commuter Parking and Responsive Pricing
- Adaptive Water Quality Management of a Heterogeneous Watershed
- Economic Effects of Central Valley Salinity on California Animal Feeding Operations
- Water Salinity Control and Household Labor Productivity in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam
- Economic Valuation of Wetlands in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Estuary
- Compliance with Environmental Policy when Enforcement is Costly
- The Effect of Manure Nutrient Constraints on Water and Air Quality Improvements
- Non-Point Source Pollution Control under Incomplete and Costly Information