Support Page Content
CSU Grad Slam Competition-May 6th
Congratulations to our Grad Slam winners!
Kristin Mills hits a Grand Slam as CSU Sacramento’s finalist in the Three-Minute Thesis competition. Awards provided to the top 3 students:
• Kristin Mills -Grand Award
• Donna Walters -2nd Place
• Marcia Harris Brim -People’s Choice
WHAT IS GRAD SLAM?
Can Your Research Make An Impact in 3 Minutes or Less?
Sac State Grad Slam competition celebrates the exciting research conducted by graduate students. The competition supports their capacity to effectively explain their research in three minutes, in a language appropriate to a non-specialist audience. For some, it helps to develop an "elevator speech" for their research. Participation showcases communication abilities – an essential skill. Eligibility Active master's and doctoral students who are soon to submit or have recently defended their thesis or dissertation are eligible to participate in Grad Slam competitions at all levels. Entrants must be current graduate students at the time of competition.
Eligibility: Active master's and doctoral students who are soon to submit or have recently defended their thesis or dissertation are eligible to participate in Grad Slam competitions at all levels. Entrants must be current graduate students at the time of competition.
Grad Slam – Important Dates
- March 1: Grad Slam Information Session.
- March 7: Grad Slam Information Session.
Optional Public Speaking Workshop Sessions: March 16-30, 2022
- March 16 & 17/ Session A: Organizing and Tailoring Content
(This session will be an interactive workshop where participants will learn through examining other successful three-minute student research presentations).
- March 16, 2022- Wednesday /12:15-1:15 PM
- March 17, 20220 Thursday / 2:00-3:00 PM
March 29 & 30/ Session B- Speech Delivery & Recording This session will be an interactive workshop where participants will learn through evaluating successful speakers and giving short speeches themselves).
- March 29, 2022- Tuesday/ 12:00-1:00PM
- March 30, 2022-Wednesday /12:00-1:00PM
- Register for Workshops here
- April 6: Deadline for Grad Slam registration (including video submissions)
Register for Grad Slam Competition
- April 8-11: Semifinalist 3 Minute Video Submission (Before noon) by April 11, 2022.
- April 18 &19 -One on One: Personalized feed- back Session
(30 minutes appointments will be held, time slot will be sent to qualifying semi-finalist)
- Awards provided to the top 3 students: Grand Award| 2nd Place| People’s Choice
- April 21: 5:00-6:30PM /Finalist presentations: Virtual event of Grad Slam finalist presentations and announcement of selected delegates. Register to attend Grad Slam Finalist Presentations
- May 6: CSU Grad Slam: Virtual 2nd Annual CSU Grad Slam competition hosted by CSU Bakersfield. The preliminary rounds from 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m., where students will deliver their presentations before an initial panel of judges. Then, attend the final round at 1:00 p.m. to see top-scoring presentations from each of the preliminary rounds and find out the winners, including the Audience Choice award. You may attend the preliminary rounds, the final round, or both for the fullest Grad Slam experience.