|| Kevan Shafizadeh, Ph.D., P.E., PTP, PTOE
| Direct Phone:
|| (916) 278-5348
| Office Phone:
|| (916) 278-6366 (ECS Dean's Office)
| E-mail Address:
| Office Location:
2014 Riverside Hall (ECS Dean's Office)
| Mailing Address:
College of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Sacramento
6000 J Street, Mailstop 6023
Sacramento, CA 95819-6023
- Interim Dean, College of Engineering and Computer Science, California State University, Sacramento, 2021 - present.
- Associate Dean, College of Engineering and Computer Science, California State University, Sacramento, 2016 - 2021.
- Interim Associate Dean, College of Engineering and Computer Science, California State University, Sacramento, 2015 - 2016.
- Chair, Department of Civil Engineering, California State University, Sacramento, 2012 - 2015.
- Technical Director, California Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP) Center, 2013 - present.
- Director, Summer Transportation Academy (STA) for Undergraduate Students, 2012 - 2016.
- Professor, Transportation Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, California State University, Sacramento, 2004 - present:
- Full Professor (with tenure), 2014 – present.
- Associate Professor (with tenure), 2009 – 2014.
- Assistant Professor, 2004 – 2009.
- Post-Doctoral Research Engineer and Instructor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of California, Davis, 2002 – 2004.
- Doctoral Research Engineer and Lecturer, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Washington, 1998 – 2002.
- Independent Transportation/Traffic Engineering Consultant and Subject Matter Expert, 2003 – present.
PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION AND LICENSURE
Courses Taught and Supervised
- Applied quantitative or statistical analysis of transportation engineering issues related to planning, opereations, or design, including (but not limited to):
- Multimodal traffic safety
- Active and sustainable transportation
- Travel behavior, demand, and associated impacts
Medurya, A., O. Grembek, A. Loukaitou-Sideris, and K. Shafizadeh (2017). “Investigating the Underreporting of Pedestrian and Bicycle Crashes In and Around University Campuses - A Crowdsourcing Approach,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, August.
Schneider, R.J., K. Shafizadeh, and S. Handy (2015). “Method to Adjust Institute of Transportation Engineers Vehicle Trip-generation Estimates in Smart-growth Areas,” Journal of Transport and Land Use, 8(1), pp. 69 - 83.
Schneider, R., K. Shafizadeh, B. Sperry, and S. Handy (2013). “Methodology to Gather Multimodal Trip Generation Data in Smart-Growth Areas,” Transportation Research Record 2354, pp. 68 - 85.
K. Shafizadeh, R. Lee, D. Niemeier, T. Parker, and S. Handy (2012). “Evaluation of the Operation and Accuracy of Available Smart Growth Trip Generation Methodologies for Use in California,” Transportation Research Record 2307, Washington, D.C., pp. 120 – 131.
Fitch, J., K. Shafizadeh, W. Zhao*, and W. Crowl (2011). “Rational Models for Setting All-Red Clearance Intervals,” ITE Journal, Institute of Transportation Engineers, February, pp. 16 - 20.
Fugitt, B.* and K. Shafizadeh (2010). “Measuring Land Use Diversity and Correlating Its Relationship with VMT,” Paper#10-4039, Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Proceedings, Washington, D.C., January.
Horton, J.* and K. Shafizadeh (2009). “Identifying Sites with Targeted Crash Types for Engineering Investigations in California,” Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) Western District Annual Meeting Proceedings, Denver, CO, July.
Choo, S., K. Shafizadeh, and D. Niemeier (2007). “The Development of a Prescreening Model to Identify Failed and Gross Polluting Vehicles,” Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 12(3), pp. 208 – 218.
Shafizadeh, K., D. Niemeier, P. Mokhtarian, and I. Salomon (2007). “A Monte Carlo Simulation Model Incorporating Telecommuter, Employer, and Public Sector Perspectives,” ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 13(1), pp. 12 – 25.
Shafizadeh, K. and F. Mannering (2006). “Statistical Modeling of User Perceptions of Infrastructure Condition: Application to the Case of Highway Roughness,” Journal of Transportation Engineering 132(2), pp. 133 - 140.
Shafizadeh, K. and D. Niemeier (2004). “Analysis of Gross Polluter Cutpoints Based on In-Use Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance Test Data in California,” Urban Transport X: Urban Transport and the Environment in the 21st Century, [Ed: C.A. Brebbia], WIT Press, Ashurst, U.K., pp. 761 - 771.
Shafizadeh, K. and F. Mannering (2003). “Public Acceptability of Pavement Roughness on Urban Highways: An Empirical Analysis,” Transportation Research Record 1860, pp. 187 - 193.
Shafizadeh, K. and Niemeier, D. (1997). “Bicycle Journey-To-Work: Travel Behavior and Spatial Attributes,” Transportation Research Record 1578, pp. 84-90.
* - Student.