Based on real user feedback and statistics, no longer supports Microsoft’s Internet Explorer browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

California State University, Sacramento

Skip to Main Content

International Student & Scholar Services International Programs & Global Engagement

Support Page Content

International Visiting Research Scholar Program

Sacramento State welcomes International Research Scholars (Also known as Exchange Visitors, or EVs) to conduct research. Visiting foreign scholars and faculty are participants in the "Exchange Visitor Program" regulated and operated by the U.S. Department of State. As a Program Sponsor, Sacramento State is authorized by the State Department to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program. A variety of regulations limit the conditions and circumstances under which Sacramento State can invite an Exchange Visitor as well as severely restrict the activities of the Exchange Visitor and dependents while in the United States.

Procedures and Forms

Prospective faculty hosts and Exchange Visitors should read the following documents for detailed information about the program:

Procedures for Hosting International Research Scholars

EV1 Form (To be completed by hosting department)

EV2 Form (To be completed by EV)

Required supporting documents to be submitted to faculty host:

  1. An official letter of support for the Exchange Visitor from his/her home institution
  2. Exchange Visitor's Curriculum Vitae
  3. Photocopy of Exchange Visitor's diploma or academic degree certificate
  4. An official copy of the final transcript to accompany the degree certificate
  5. Photocopy of photo/bio page of Exchange Visitor's passport
  6. Photocopy of photo/bio page for spouse or children who will accompany Exchange Visitor
  7. Evidence of funding to support Exchange Visitor's visit. The documentation must meet the minimum requirements (see Part V of form EV2)
  8. Evidence of English proficiency determined using an objective measurement of English language proficiency. English proficiency documentation must be available for inspection by Department of State upon demand. Regulations state "The exchange visitor (must possess) sufficient proficiency in the English language, as determined by an objective measurement of English language proficiency, successfully to participate in his or her program and to function on a day-to-day basis." 22 CFR 62.10(a)(2) [20]. The University requires that prospective visiting scholars provide scores from a recognized English language test as proof of English proficiency. The minimum scores required are outlined below:

Exam Minimum Score
IELTS 7.0 Band Score
PTE Academic Score 65
J-Check 3.8

Prospective J-Scholars unable to submit a TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or TOEIC score may utilize J-Check Testing Services. Please note, a score of 3.8 or higher is required on this option. Please see this link for more information on using J-Check.The University will receive an official report within 24 hours of testing. .

The English language requirement may be waived if the applicant is a native of or studied in full time status for at least one academic year within the last five years in the U.S., the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or English-medium universities in Canada or South Africa. Evidence such as transcripts or degree(s) associated with these studies must accompany this request in order to be considered for the waiver.

Once IPGE receives these forms and supporting documents from the hosting department we will review for eligibility. If eligible, we will issue an invitation letter and form DS-2019 (“Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status”) that will allow the Exchange Visitor to apply for a visa at the US Consulate in their home country.

If you have any questions, please contact:

Alex Shigenaga, Coordinator of International Student and Scholar Services
(916) 278-7470