Skip to Main Content

International Programs & Global Engagement Academic Affairs

Support Page Content

The Passport Place


Our office now accepts both appointments and walk-ins. To book an appointment, please visit the "Book Appointment" section. Starting March 28, 2024, our summer hours are as follows:

  • Office hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Walk-ins: 8:30 am to 2:00 pm, Monday through Thursday
  • Walk-ins: 8:30 am to 12:00 pm on Friday

For appointment inquiries, call (916) 278-7940.


California State University, Sacramento

Sacramento, CA 95819

International Programs & Global Engagement Office

Library 1001 (across from the main library entrance)


Book an appointment

Before you book...

We provide passport services in the following cases:

1. New applicants

2. Minors age 0-15 (new or renewal)

3. Adult renewals (16+) only in one of the following cases:

  • Your passport has been expired over 5 years
  • You are going from a minor to an adult passport (passports which are valid for 5 years are considered minor passports)
  • Your previous passport was lost or stolen (include DS-64 in your application or complete it online) or if it's been damaged or mutilated.

All other renewals must be done by mail directly to the National Passport Processing Center. See instructions below under Form DS-82.

At the moment, our appointments are only bookable 1 month out. We recommend booking early in the morning as slots fill up quickly and there often isn't availability on a Saturday or Sunday unless someone cancels their appointment.

Information about your appointment

Topic Details
Location? We are located in the Library Building room 1001 (across from the main library entrance) on Sacramento State's campus. If you've never been to our office, please give yourself up to 30 minutes to pay for and find parking, walk to our office and check-in. Sac State is a big campus and it takes at least 10-15 minutes to walk to our office from the student parking lots. Please call us or email us if you're running late.
Parking? We recommend paying for parking from yellow kiosks ($4 for 2 hour parking and $7 for daily parking). Applicants should only park in student lots (indicated on the campus map link). University parking enforcement is independent of our office, so please see this campus map to see where we're located and where to park.
Applicants All applicants must be present for the application process. This includes minors. No exceptions.
We DO NOT provide photo services It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure their photo meets passport photo requirements. Please see the requirements here. If you're not sure where to go get your photo taken, search "passport photo services near me" 
We DO NOT take cash or card Please bring checks or money orders with you. Each application requires it's own check or money order. The fees made payable to Sacramento State can be combined into 1 check or money order. Please visit the website for more information on fees, use the fee chart or send us an email at
Applications for children under 16 All of the parents listed on the child's birth certificate must be present for the application process (with valid photo ID) and sign for the child(ren) application. If one parent cannot come, you can submit a notarized DS-3053 for the non-applying parent. Parental consent is required each time a passport is issued to a minor under 16. A parent with sole legal custody or if a parent is deceased is the exception provided original documentation is submitted (i.e. original court order or death certificate). 
Children's behavior  We ask that parents keep watch of their children and monitor their behavior. If your child or children are too disruptive, we'll ask that they step outside with a family member. 
Applications for 16 and 17 year olds Applicants who are 16 or 17 can apply without a parent present if they have a valid government issued ID (implied parental consent is recommended which takes the form of using a parent's check or a parent listed as the emergency contact). If the applicant does not have a valid government issued ID, only one parent should accompany the applicant (with a valid government issued ID), but the applicant should bring a school ID or any form of recent photo ID. 
Expedited Processing If you'd like expedited processing, include it in the check or money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State (see the fee chart)
Damaged passport? If your passport is damaged, you will need to bring in the damaged passport in addition to a form of citizenship evidence. (see the required documents section to see citizenship evidence that is accepted). 
Rush My passport services is not availabe at this time We are temperately not providing this service.
More information The final decision to process a passport is given to the U.S. Department of State. We verify identity and mail the documents to the Passport Agency. After submitting the application: all inquiries should be sent to the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) 1-877-487-2778. Once the application leaves our facility, we cannot check the status or assist with the processing. 
Questions?  If you have questions on the passport process, please email our office as soon as possible to prevent any delays or complications. Our email is 

Required Documents

Document needed Details
DS-11 Please bring the application with you. Applications must be typed or filled out in black ink. (see under Passport Forms for this document)
Original Citizenship Evidence Please bring one of the following: Original or Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (and a photocopy) OR an Original Naturalization Certificate (and a photocopy) OR Previous U.S. passport book or card, in good condition.   *For under 18 years old, you must submit a documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport. e.g., birth certificate.
Valid Photo ID Government issued ID (and a photocopy - front and back)(for minors, both parents should bring a valid photo ID)
Passport photo Applicants must bring their own passport photo.  
1 check or money order (per application) made payable to the U.S. Department of State (see fee chart for price tier)
1 $35.00 check or money order (per application) made payable to Sacramento State (include 25 cents per page for photocopies, if needed)


Please bring at least two checks or two money orders with you, one payable to the U.S. Department of State and the other payable to Sacramento State.

If you are submitting multiple applications, the Department of State requires individual checks or money orders per application. The fee made payable to Sacramento State can be combined into 1 check or money order.

Please see the Department of State fee chart.

We offer photocopy services for 25 cents per page. This charge must be included in the fee to Sacramento State. We do not take cash or card.

Passport Forms

  • Form DS-11: Apply for a U.S. passport book or card for the first time, or if your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
  • Form DS-64: Report the loss or theft of a valid U.S. passport book or card.
  • Form DS-3053: Completed by the non-appearing parent for minor applicants under the age of 16.
  • Form DS-82: To renew an existing, 10-year passport
  • Form DS-5504: To request a name change, to correct data errors (typos), or to replace limited validity passports (if eligible).

Not sure which form to complete? Use the Department of State Passport Wizard.