Support Page Content
Staff Talent Appreciation & Retention (STAR) Awards
Purpose And Goals
The Staff Talent Appreciation & Retention (STAR) Awards Program acknowledges the exemplary performance and contributions of staff members within the Division of Student Affairs. The program provides an opportunity to recognize and celebrate the extraordinary performance of staff throughout the division. The primary goal of the program is to contribute to a positive, healthy work environment where staff members are valued and appreciated. The program also promotes a sense of community and aids in the retention of a diverse and talented workforce. This program consists of monthly and annual awards that emphasize the values and priorities of the Division of Student Affairs.
These awards acknowledge and recognize exemplary performance and contributions by staff to departments, the Division, the University, and the wellbeing of students at Sacramento State. Each academic year, the program celebrates the extraordinary performance of staff across the division promoting a sense of community and retention.
All full-time, classified staff (non-MPP) working in the Division are eligible to receive an award. Award recipients are selected from eligible nominees and anyone can submit a nomination as follows:
- All full-time, classified staff (non-MPPs) in the Division are eligible for nomination.
- Anyone (staff, students, management) can submit a nomination - divisional affiliation is not required.
- An online nomination form is available in the table at the bottom of the page.
- An individual staff member can be nominated for multiple award categories.
- Self-nominations are accepted for monthly and team awards, but not for the other awards.
STAR of the Year Award
This award is presented yearly to an individual in the division whose actions or work performance stands out as an exceptional reflection of our divisional values (Integrity, Wellness, Innovation, Inclusivity, Collaboration, Service). This award is presented by the Student Affairs Council (SAC Team) from the Monthly Shining STAR Winners.
- Selected at the end of the year from the 11 monthly Shining STAR of the Month award winners
- Nominations are not accepted for this award
Shining STAR of the Month Award
This award is presented monthly to an individual in the division whose actions or work performance stands out as an exceptional reflection of our divisional values (Integrity, Wellness, Innovation, Inclusivity, Collaboration, Service). This award is selected by the STAR Committee from nominations (including self-nominations).
- Collaboration - emphasizes the expression of ideas through shared information, stays informed, and works together to achieve a common set of goals that leads to a results-oriented approach
- Inclusivity - commits to developing and sustaining an environment of inclusivity that enriches the experience of all through feedback and a process of continuous improvement
- Integrity - serves students with soundness of character, purpose, and through an unwavering commitment to being of service
- Service - provides students with a high level of genuine compassion, care, support and assistance as they navigate the many challenges they face in their college life
- Innovation - enhances the quality of, and pride in, the Sacramento State student experience through new and creative initiatives that promote student success
- Wellness - contributes to the multidimensional process of achieving a healthy balance throughout one’s lifetime (Intellectual, Emotional, Environmental, Physical, Career/Financial, Spiritual, Socio-cultural)
Nominations are evaluated on alignment with the identified value(s), the scope of impact on the division or campus, and the timeliness of the work included in the nomination. The nominee selected as the STAR of the month will be presented with an engraved crystal star and an award certificate. Winners of the Monthly STAR award are eligible for the annual STAR award. All eligible nominees receive a certificate of nomination. Nominations not selected for the STAR of the month award are archived. However, a nominee can be renominated (new nomination form submitted) in another month.
Examples of Shining STAR Recognition Can Include:
- Provides exceptional service to students or colleagues
- Develops a creative or innovative idea
- Persists in completing a task
- Shows determination to meet program goals
- Motivates students or colleagues
- Solves a complex and or challenging problem
Individual Excellence in Student Service Award
This annual award recognizes the contribution of a staff member who works to make procedures, services, facilities, programs, and/or the general Sacramento State learning environment a welcoming, efficient, and high-quality experience for students. The recipient goes above and beyond to enhance students’ experience while thoughtfully balancing educational needs and customer service. Others, especially students, may comment on the helpfulness, professionalism, and assistance of these individuals or groups and on their willingness to create a positive, active, and inclusive learning community. This award is presented by the Student Affairs Council (SAC Team) from nominations.
- Impacts student lives in positive ways
- Contributes to the retention and graduation of students
- Motivates students and providing opportunities for students to achieve their goals
- Exemplifies the core values of Sacramento State in daily interactions with students
- Serves as a role model for students and staff in Student Affairs
- Nominations by others are required (no self-nominations)
Team Excellence in Student Service Award
This annual award recognizes innovative contributions of a team in developing procedures, services, facilities and programs contributing to the quality of life for students at Sacramento State. This award is presented by the Student Affairs Council (SAC Team) from nominations.
- Collaborates as a team in developing an innovative response to student needs
- Receives outstanding feedback from students who were impacted
- Implements outstanding new program, project or use of technology
- Develops a new program, project or use of technology to meet specific outcome(s) in accordance with divisional core values
- Nominations are required, a team member may nominate one’s, own team
Diversity and Inclusion Award
This annual award recognizes the effort of staff who strive to promote understanding and appreciation of diversity in its multitude of forms. The award recipient helps build an environment of inclusivity and awareness and supports the education of issues of diversity and social justice. This award is presented by the Student Affairs Council (SAC Team) from nominations.
- Presented to an individual or team
- Provides educational and/or professional development opportunities to students and/or staff about diversity, multiculturalism, and social justice
- Nurtures an environment of openness, tolerance, and inclusion
- Celebrates the unique qualities within the student population and the Division
- Incorporates diverse perspectives into program planning and implementation
- Promotes an appreciation, understanding, or celebration of differences through the delivery of a program and/or through personal actions
Outstanding Mentoring Award
This award recognizes efforts to support others in a way that maximizes potential, develops skills, improves performance and encourages one's talents and potentialities. This award is presented by the Student Affairs Council (SAC Team) from nominations.
- Demonstrates versatility in appropriately consulting, collaborating and coaching to purposefully develop the mentee’s capacity to generate information
- Models problem solving, instructional processes, and reflective practice
- Demonstrates outstanding commitment by an individual to the mentoring process for another Sacramento State staff member or student
- Provides a mentoring relationship that enhances the educational experience/professional development for an individual(s) at Sacramento State
- Nomination by others is required (no self-nominations)
Outstanding New Professional Award
This annual award recognizes a full-time professional in the Division who has had exemplary performance in their role. This award is presented by the Student Affairs Council (SAC Team) from nominations.
- Currently employed full-time within the Division of Student Affairs for three years or less
- Demonstrates pride in work and displayed a positive attitude toward responsibilities and people
- Engages in actions that support department, Division, and University values, and/or engaging in collaborative efforts across the University
- Transitions into their professional role successfully
- Commits to one’s own professional development, as demonstrated through participation in committee work, training sessions, workshops, and conferences
- Performs all aspects of the position in an exemplary manner
- Promotes and maintains professionalism in his or her position
- Provides the highest level of service to SA and the University and willingly goes the extra mile
- Demonstrates strong, progressive leadership and accepts responsibilities with a positive attitude
- Nomination by others is required (no self-nominations)
Vice President’s Award
The annual Vice President's Award is selected by the Vice President for Student Affairs. This award is presented to a staff member within the division who has performed admirably in some capacity. Nominations can be submitted specifically for the Vice President’s Award, especially if the achievements or accomplishments of the nominee does not fit neatly into one of the other award categories. A nomination is not required to receive this award, as such; an employee may receive the award via “wildcard.” All nominations received for all awards are also considered for the Vice President’s Award.