Support Page Content
Directed Self-Placement (DSP) is a program designed to help entering students determine which first-year composition course is the right choice for them.
Am I required to participate in Directed Self-Placement?
- Yes! All first time freshmen must participate in Directed Self-Placement.
- The directed self placement activities will be available beginning the last week of February. You will log into a Canvas course using your Saclink.
- Please plan to complete these activities as soon as possible.
You need a Sacramento State email account to log in to My Sac State.
How do I complete Directed Self-Placement?
The Directed Self-Placement program is a series of online activities within your Canvas account. You will read information about Directed Self-Placement, our composition course offerings, and how we view academic reading and writing. You will then complete four reading, writing, and self-reflective activities.
We believe these activities will take about 2-3 hours of your time. Once you complete this work, you will select which first-year writing course best meets your needs. Your choice will be used to inform the structure of your class schedule.
Exemptions for DSP
Only a small number of students will be exempt from the Directed Self Placement Activites. The following students may be exempt:
- Students who earned of score of 3 or above on either the Language and Composition or Composition and Literature examination of the College Board Scholastic Advanced Placement Program (AP exam)
- Students who took a college-level English course (this does not include high school AP English) and earned a C- or better in a course equivalent to CSUS ENGL 5.