Support Page Content
Grants Academic Affairs
Summer and Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 UPDATES:
The Academically Related Activities (ARA) Grant and the Student Academic Development (SAD) Grant are available to students to help reimburse travel (hotel, airfare, etc.) and registration expenses for attendance and/or participation in conferences, workshops, exhibitions, competitions, or other academically related activities. Please see below for information and how to apply for these grants. This grant funding opportunity supports activities that extend students’ educational experiences beyond the normal instructional environment. We encourage students from all academic disciplines to apply.
1) Applications will be accepted in the Summer/Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 for conferences attended after July 1st, 2022 until May 1, 2023. If only virtual attendance at conferences is allowed, we will reimburse for registration to those conferences, if in-person attendance at conferences is allowed we will be able to reimburse for registration and travel expenses (flights, hotel, etc.). If you attend a conference this summer, make sure to save all receipts, conference badges, and other materials to show your attendance. Grant applications will start to be reviewed at the beginning of the Fall semester.
2) Currently all applications must be submitted electronically. The completed application must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Since an advisor needs to sign the application, please discuss with them the best way to get their signature. It can be an e-signature, or another method that confirms they are "signing" the grant application form (attached email from them, etc.).
Theses fund support Academic Related Activities (ARA) and Student Academic Development (SAD) and are for reimbursement only.
Must be an active student at Sacramento State during the semester when attending the conference to be eligible for grant funding. Students that have graduated prior to attending a conference are not eligible for funding.
Funds are distributed as applications are submitted on a first come, first served basis. There is no guarantee funds will be available throughout the year. Students should apply for funds as soon as they know they will be attending the conference, and are encouraged to do so as early as possible to maximize the chance of funding.
Note: California Government Code Section 11139.8 prohibits the use of state funds, which include the ARA and SAD grants, for travel to the states listed on the CA state travel ban list. ARA and SAD grants will, therefore, not be approved for travel to the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and West Virginia.
The complete list of affected states is maintained on the California State Attorney General's website.
- ARA awards will not exceed $300 for in-state conferences and $500 for out-of-state conferences.
- SAD awards will not exceed $300. The SAD Grant will not cover the cost of out-of-sate transportation, but you will be reimbursed for lodging and registration.
- Applicants are eligible for the maximum amount requested (within the parameters of the program guidelines) between the two grant programs.
- Full funding is not a guarantee.
- The Academic Affairs staff will place applicants into the appropriate program to maximize applicant's potential reimbursement amount.
- Group projects: Groups of students attending a conference together are NOT considered "group projects" and must submit individual applications.
- Budget: Do not include the cost of food, textbooks, membership fees, clothing, etc. (broader list included in "Program Agreement" page). The SAD Grant will not cover the cost of out-of-sate transportation, but you will be reimbursed for lodging and registration.
- Receipts: Receipts do NOT need to be turned in with application. However, failure to turn in receipts by deadline may result in a forfeit of awarded funds.
- Award Process: All applicants will be notified via email with the status of grant funding. These are reimbursement grants and will only be awarded if original receipts are submitted.
- Combined Booking: If you are using a travel agency or booking online, lodging and transportation must be listed separately.
- Failure to List Item: Expenses not listed in the budget will NOT be reimbursed.
- All applicants will be notified by e-mail as soon as possible after these deadlines, usually within 6 weeks.
- All receipts must have your name on the receipt (if applicable) and must indicate the expense has been paid.
- Special arrangements for reimbursement after the deadlines can be requested. Exceptions are not guaranteed.
- Original receipts, boarding passes, name tags, copies of credit cards used, and final statement MUST be submitted to be reimbursed from the ARA grant.
- If notified by the Academic Affairs staff, please complete a Vendor Data Form.
- Grant reimbursement is subject to University policy and reimbursement guidelines.