The Department of Art introduces students to the expressive world of the visual arts. Students are able to explore art through courses in art education, art history, ceramics, drawing, new media art, painting, printmaking, and interdisciplinary sculpture.
The Department’s undergraduate program offers courses in four general areas Art History, Studio Arts Methods, and Art Studio, while the fourth prepares students to teach with a Master of Arts degree in Studio.
Art Events Calendarhttps://www.trumba.com/calendars/sac-state-department-of-art.json
Areas of Emphasis
- Ceramics offers a foundation in historical forms and techniques fused with the opportunity for individual artistic growth.
- Drawing & Painting courses introduce direct-observational drawing from the model, still life and landscape using a mix of techniques, approaches, and non-traditional media.
- New Media Art Digital imaging, 2D and 3D animation, 3D modeling, digital fabrication, video art and installation, interactive media, and generative art.
- Sculpture Classical materials and methods meet contemporary practice.
- Printmaking Explore the relationship between content and process across a range of techniques: Intaglio, Relief, and Monotype, Screen Printing, Lithography.
- Art History Critical analysis and research, visual literacy, curatorial and art-making practices, with specialties in Early Modern, Asian, Art of the Americas, or Modern and Contemporary art.
- Art Education The 48-unit program presents a range of courses specific to Art Education, providing students with an understanding of visual arts education in the 21st century.