Support Page Content
Apply for the Ed.D. program
Thank you for your interest in the CSUS Doctorate in Educational Leadership Program! Please read all instructions carefully and thoroughly before completing the Fall 2022 application process. Applicants must submit ALL application documents by the due date to be considered for admission. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The GRE requirement is temporarily suspended—if applicants send in GRE scores, the scores cannot be taken into consideration when making admissions decisions.
Begin accepting applications: October 1, 2021
Priority Admissions Deadline: December 1, 2021 at 3:00pm
Regular Admissions Deadline: March 1, 2022 at 3:00pm
Review the Admission Requirements supplemental document.
I. Complete the University Graduate Application (Cal State Apply)
Create an account at Cal State Apply online. This step must be completed before proceeding with other steps.
There is a $70.00 non-refundable application fee that must be paid at the time the application is submitted. (Application information for International Students). In the process of completing the university application, you will need to select your specific education program and specify whether your focus will be PK-12 or Community College.
II: Activate SacLink Account & Submit Official Transcripts
Your confirmation email from the Office of Graduate Studies will note your Sac State ID number and instructions to set up your SacLink Account at www.saclink.csus.edu. Please make sure that your email provider is set up to accept email from csus.edu.
The Office of Graduate Studies (OGS) at Sacramento State will confirm they have received your Cal State Apply application by email. See these frequently asked questions.
In the meantime, request all academic transcripts you will need to complete your application:
Non-Sac State students:
- One (1) set of official transcripts (sealed) from ALL community colleges, colleges, and universities attended.
- For electronic transcripts submissions systems that allow you to enter an e-mail address, please use email@example.com. Physical transcripts for those institutions that do not send official transcripts electronically can be addressed to:
Office of Graduate Studies
California State University, Sacramento
Riverfront Center, Room 215, MS 6112
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819
Sac State students:
- If you graduated/are graduating from Sacramento State, you do not need to submit any additional transcripts to OGS unless you attended another college after graduation.
III. Program Materials to upload to Cal State Apply
1. Statement of Purpose
Provide a 1-3 page statement of purpose (12 point font, single-spaced) that describes your reasons for pursuing doctoral study and that reflects your understanding of the challenges facing the public schools or community colleges/post-secondary institutions in California.
2. Supplemental Questions
Provide a total response no longer than three pages (12 point font, single-spaced) to the following.
- What preparation and experiences make you well qualified to benefit from an Ed.D. Program?
- What two or three accomplishments demonstrate your educational leadership potential and skills? You may consider successful achievements in school, in post-secondary institutions, in your community, and/or more generally in policy leadership.
- Please provide evidence that demonstrates your ability to succeed in a rigorous program of doctoral studies in education. Please include evidence concerning (a) your problem-solving ability, (b) your interest in critically assessing and improving educational policies and practices, (c) your proficiency with technology, and (d) your ability to devote significant time and attention to doctoral program study.
3. Professional Resume
Detail education and professional experience
4. Writing Sample
Please provide 1 writing sample, at least 10 pages but not exceeding 20 pages. Any of the following are satisfactory:
- Previous Undergraduate/Graduate/Honors paper;
- An excerpt from a Master’s Thesis;
- A solo-authored report (something from work that you created/produced); or
- An original/new 10-page academic paper on a particular topic –with APA citations.
While this option is not ideal because it means more work, it will give the review committee a way to assess your writing capabilities.
5. Statement of Support
A brief statement of support for your doctoral studies from your employer. This statement can come from one of your references, however, it is a separate requirement. If this is not available, an indication of your plan for meeting the program demands and your professional responsibilities. In particular, explain how you will balance the demands of the program with your professional and personal life?
IV: Three Letters of Recommendation
There are two required components to the recommendation section, an online evaluation and a formal letter of recommendation. Use the CalState Apply portal to request the online evaluation from your three recommenders. Once each recommender has submitted their online evaluation, the Ed.D. office will be notified and will request a formal letter of recommendation from them to complete the recommendation section.
As the complete recommendation process can take several weeks, be sure to request the online evaluation from each recommender well in advance of the admissions deadline.
Only 3 letters of recommendation are required and only 3 will be reviewed. If more than 3 are submitted, the committee will review the first 3 received.
Below is the Deadline for submissions of formal letters of recommendation:
Priority Admission: December 1, 2021—3 pm
Regular Admission: March 1, 2022—3 pm
Thank you for applying to the Ed.D. program at Sac State! We look forward to reviewing your application!
Contact the doctorate office:
Doctorate in Educational Leadership Program
California State University, Sacramento
College of Education
6000 J Street - Eureka Hall 318
Sacramento, CA 95819-6079