Support Page Content
The Chancellor's Office of the California State University has granted the Psychology Department impaction status for its undergraduate major program. Students applying to the major are required to submit a supplemental application. New applicants, including transfer students, must be admitted to the University prior to applying to the major.
Admission of majors to the Psychology program is based on a rank ordering of eligible applicants according to their overall GPA and departmental capacity.
Psychology Major Application Requirements
- Applicant must be admitted to the university in order to have access to the application.
- Applicant must be in “Good Academic Standing.”
- PSYC 2, Introductory Psychology, (or equivalent) completed with a C or better within 3 attempts (for those who took the course in Spring 2020, a grade of CR (“credit”) will be accepted for the purpose of eligibility to apply to the Psychology major).
- Note: Psychology Advanced Placement Test score of 3 or above will count as the PSYC 2 equivalent.
- Completion of 30 or more college level units.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.30 in all college level units.
- All college-level transcripts must be in the system at the time of application.
If you are applying to the Psychology major and have questions or need assistance, please:
- Start by watching the Spring 2024 Recorded Information Session.*
- Drop in to the SSIS Student Success Center. Be sure you are logged in to Zoom with your Sac State credentials.
- Email PaHoua Lee with questions or concerns at email@example.com.
* The application due date has been changed to Monday, October 16th at 11:59 p.m.
Q&A Information Sessions: Spring 2024 Admission
Session 1: Friday, September 8, 2023; 9:30am-10:30am; Virtual
- Invite Link: https://csus.zoom.us/j/84106297441
- Meeting ID: 841 0629 7441
Session 2: Thursday, September 21, 2023; 3pm-4pm; Virtual
- Invite Link: https://csus.zoom.us/j/85385342029
- Meeting ID: 853 8534 2029
Session 3: Wednesday, October 4, 2023; 1pm-2pm; Virtual
- Invite Link: https://csus.zoom.us/j/88984993292
- Meeting ID: 889 8499 3292
Associate of Arts / Associate of Science for Transfer
- A supplemental application must still be submitted to be considered for the major.
- For the AA-T or AS-T to be considered in the Psychology admission decision, the applicant must be pursuing the approved AA-T or AS-T in Psychology at the time of application and must be on-track for completing the approved program prior to their first semester at Sacramento State.
- If the above is met, PSYC 2 - Introductory Psychology equivalent will be accepted in progress at time of application.
- Incoming transfers and first-time applicants with an ADT in Psychology in progress at time of application will receive a 0.1 GPA boost to their cumulative GPA.
Local Admission Priority Policy
- A supplemental application must still be submitted in order to be considered for the major.
- Local area applicants are not guaranteed admission to the major.
- Students identified as a local area applicant by the university will be awarded a 0.1 GPA boost to their cumulative GPA.
- The following community colleges is considered to be local admission area: American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake, Lake Tahoe, Sacramento City, Sierra, San Joaquin Delta, Solano, Woodland, and Yuba.
- Continuing Sac State students/applicants will be awarded a 0.1 GPA boost to their cumulative GPA.
*GPA boosts are only applied to those who meet the minimum eligibility criteria, including the 2.3 GPA (prior to the boosts)
The Psychology Undergraduate Supplemental Application for Spring 2024 will open on September 1, 2023 and close on October 16, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. To access the application:
- Log into MySacState
- Click on your Student Center
- Click on Supplemental Application