Support Page Content
The Chancellor's Office ofCalifornia State University has granted the Psychology Department impaction status for its undergraduate major program. Students applying to the major are required to submit a supplemental application. New applicants, including transfer students, must be admitted to the University prior to applying to the major.
Admission of majors to the Psychology program is based on a rank ordering of eligible applicants according to their overall GPA and departmental capacity.
To apply to the undergraduate psychology major, you must meet all of the following supplemental admission criteria:
- New and transfer students must meet the CSU admission requirements and must be in good academic standing.
- Current students must be in good academic standing.
- Students must have completed PSYC 2 (Introductory Psychology; 3 semester units), or its articulated equivalents, with a grade of “C” or higher within 3 attempts.**
- Courses in progress at the time the supplemental application is submitted are not accepted.
- Students must have completed at least 30 college-level units.
- Students must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.3 in all college level courses.
**The department will accept a “CR” (credit) grade for PSYC 2 for those who took the course in Spring 2020 for the purpose of eligibility to apply to the Psychology major.
If you are an Expressed Interest Psychology student seeking academic advising, please schedule an appointment with Tina Souza:
- Visit Campus EAB Scheduler
- Choose “Advising” for type of appointment.
- Choose “Academic Advising” for location.
- Choose "Expressed Interest" for service.
If you are applying to the Psychology major for Spring 2021 admission and have questions or need assistance with your application, please:
Information Session - Spring 2020
Associate of Arts / Associate of Science for Transfer
For the AA-T or AS-T to be considered in the Psychology Major decision, the applicant must be pursuing the approved AA-T or AS-T in Psychology at the time of application and must be on-track for completing the approved program prior to their first semester at Sacramento State.
If the above is met, PSYC 2 - Introductory Psychology equivalent will be accepted in progress at time of application.
Local Admission Priority Policy
- A supplemental application must still be submitted in order to be considered for the major.
- Local area applicants are not guaranteed admission to the major.
- Students identified as a local area applicant by the university will be awarded a 0.1 GPA boost to their cumulative GPA.
- The GPA boost will be in addition to and/or separate from the GPA boost that students completing an ADT in Psychology will receive.
The Psychology Undergraduate Supplemental Application for Spring 2021 will open on September 1, 2020 and close on October 15, 2020. To access the application:
- Log into MySacState
- Click on your Student Center
- Click on Supplemental Application