Support Page Content
The Chancellor's Office of the California State University has granted the Psychology Department impaction status for its undergraduate major program. Students applying to the major are required to submit a supplemental application. New applicants, including transfer students, must be admitted to the University prior to applying to the major.
Admission of majors to the Psychology program is based on a rank ordering of eligible applicants according to their overall GPA and departmental capacity.
Psychology Major Application Requirements
- Applicant must be admitted to the university in order to have access to the application.
- Applicant must be in “Good Academic Standing.”
- PSYC 2, Introductory Psychology, (or equivalent) completed with a C or better within 3 attempts (for those who took the course in Spring 2020, a grade of CR (“credit”) will be accepted for the purpose of eligibility to apply to the Psychology major).
- Note: Psychology Advanced Placement Test score of 3 or above will count as the PSYC 2 equivalent.
- Completion of 30 or more college level units.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.30 in all college level units.
- Meet that semester’s GPA cut-off.
- All college-level transcripts must be in the system at the time of application.
If you are applying to the Psychology major for Fall 2022 admission and have questions or need assistance with your application, please:
Q&A Information Sessions: Spring 2022
Watch Spring 2022 Recorded Information Session. Bring your questions to one of the listed sessions below!
Below are the scheduled Q&A Information Sessions for the Spring 2022 semester.
Session 1: Wednesday, February 2, from 3:30pm – 4:30pm
- Meeting ID: 820 0483 1193
- Invite Link: https://csus.zoom.us/j/82004831193
Session 2: Thursday, February 17, from 9:00am - 10:00am
- Meeting ID: 868 1915 5231
- Invite Link: https://csus.zoom.us/j/86819155231
Session 3: Friday, March 4, from 1:30pm - 2:30pm
- Meeting ID: 844 5060 8691
- Invite Link: https://csus.zoom.us/j/84450608691
Associate of Arts / Associate of Science for Transfer
For the AA-T or AS-T to be considered in the Psychology Major decision, the applicant must be pursuing the approved AA-T or AS-T in Psychology at the time of application and must be on-track for completing the approved program prior to their first semester at Sacramento State.
If the above is met, PSYC 2 - Introductory Psychology equivalent will be accepted in progress at time of application.
Local Admission Priority Policy
- A supplemental application must still be submitted in order to be considered for the major.
- Local area applicants are not guaranteed admission to the major.
- Students identified as a local area applicant by the university will be awarded a 0.1 GPA boost to their cumulative GPA.
- The GPA boost will be in addition to and/or separate from the GPA boost that students completing an ADT in Psychology will receive.
The Psychology Undergraduate Supplemental Application for Fall 2022 will open on February 1, 2022 and close on March 15, 2022. To access the application:
- Log into MySacState
- Click on your Student Center
- Click on Supplemental Application