About One World Initiative
Welcome to One World Initiative!
The One World Initiative (OWI) launched in 2012 and is designed to directly respond to the University’s call for Curricular Global Engagement:
Sacramento State is committed to developing, sustaining, and promoting global studies, international educational exchanges and research initiatives, in support of the University's commitment to the preparation of informed world citizens. The University strives to provide students and faculty with the multidisciplinary, intercultural, and ethical understandings necessary to engage, lead, and prosper in a variety of settings requiring knowledge and problem-solving skills in a diverse global arena.
OWI seeks to support and expand existing University resources that embody this commitment through an annual international and interdisciplinary theme that frames campus-wide exploration of a significant concept across the academic year. OWI supports responses to the annual theme in three ways:
- Promotion of events connected to the theme through the OWI website
- Small grants of up to $400 to events and programs that develop the theme
- A year-end celebration highlighting perspectives on the theme in a student symposium, faculty/staff panel, and keynote address.
Previous annual themes Global Perspectives on: Time, Community, Inheritance, Power, Migration, Happiness, Water.
The One World Initiative’s Global Perspectives on Transformation
The One World Initiative invites the campus and local community to “Go Global” with curricular and co-curricular activities focused on a significant interdisciplinary theme. The theme for the 2021- 2022 academic year is Global Perspectives on Transformation. The Sacramento State community is encouraged to incorporate this theme into courses, public events, and student activities. Small grants are available to support this work.
The concept of transformation implies change, mutation, alteration among others. Add to these the multiple challenges, including climate crisis, raging pandemics, increasing inequities, urgent need to address violence and racial reckoning, that individuals experience on an everyday basis. These provide a perfect backdrop for bold and stimulating conversations about transformations.
The One World Initiative challenges the CSUS community to investigate transformation on the personal, organizational, and systemic levels locally and globally. Limited funds (up to a maximum of $400) are available to support events organized by faculty, students and/or staff in Spring 2022 related to 'Global Perspectives on Transformation'. To apply for funding visit our website https://www.csus.edu/undergraduate-studies/one-world-initiative/funding-opportunities.html.
If you have any questions about funding or suggestions for events please email Raghu Trichur, Coordinator, OWI Steering Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org). The deadline for application for funding is Friday, January 21st, 2022.
Past events have included addresses by:
- Joyce Mikal-Flynn, School of Nursing, CSUS, Growth and Grit After Trauma. April 14, 2021
- Cherríe Moraga, Writer and Activist. The Body Other/ the Other(ed) Body: A Cultural Legacy of Dissent for those who came before and for those who follow... Watch Her April 18, 2017 Lecture
- Jean Kwok, Author of Girl in Translation, Secrets, Identity, and Connection, April 16, 2018
- Eric Adjetey Anang, Ghanaian Sculptor, Fantasy Coffin Carpenter. Presentation, discussion, and procession of coffin carved as artist-in-residence at Sacramento State, April 18, 2019
Connect with One World Initiative Program
Department of Undergraduate Studies
Sacramento Hall, Room 234
Mon. – Fri., 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phone: (916) 278-5344