About One World Initiative
Welcome to One World Initiative!
AY19-20 theme: Global Perspectives on Justice
The One World Initiative (OWI) launched in 2012 and is designed to directly respond to the University’s call for Curricular Global Engagement:
Sacramento State is committed to developing, sustaining, and promoting global studies, international educational exchanges and research initiatives, in support of the University's commitment to the preparation of informed world citizens. The University strives to provide students and faculty with the multidisciplinary, intercultural, and ethical understandings necessary to engage, lead, and prosper in a variety of settings requiring knowledge and problem-solving skills in a diverse global arena.
OWI seeks to support and expand existing University resources that embody this commitment through an annual international and interdisciplinary theme that frames campus-wide exploration of a significant concept across the academic year. OWI supports responses to the annual theme in three ways:
- Promotion of events connected to the theme through the OWI website
- Small grants of up to $500 to events and programs that develop the theme
- A year-end celebration highlighting perspectives on the theme in a student symposium, faculty/staff panel, and keynote address.
Previous annual themes Global Perspectives on: Time, Community, Inheritance, Power, Migration, Happiness, Water.
- Faculty: Please consider writing the opportunity to present at the symposium into your course work.
- Staff: Please invite students to highlight projects, inquiries, and accomplishments from the programs you lead and support.
- Students: Posters and other formats, including visual and performing arts, TED Talk-style presentations, papers and other modes of expression and exploration of the theme are encouraged. Individuals and groups engaging with the theme from within a particular disciplinary mode or with an interdisciplinary approach are welcome.
An interested group of faculty, staff, and students meets regularly to plan events and award funding. Anyone interested in joining the steering committee and becoming involved with the OWI can contact Dr. Mimi Coughlin, Steering Committee Chair, at (916) 278-4080 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This event highlights the research and projects of exceptional faculty/staff relating to the annual theme. The international and interdisciplinary nature of this panel provides a thought-provoking window into diverse interpretations and methodologies. Faculty are encouraged to have their students attend this powerful learning experience that illuminates varied understandings of the theme. Students benefit from explicit course-related reasons to engage with the life of the University through the scholarly and creative activities of Sacramento State’s instructors and student affairs leaders.
Past events have included addresses by:
- Cherríe Moraga, Writer and Activist. The Body Other/ the Other(ed) Body: A Cultural Legacy of Dissent for those who came before and for those who follow... Watch Her April 18, 2017 Lecture
- Jean Kwok, Author of Girl in Translation, Secrets, Identity, and Connection, April 16, 2018
- Eric Adjetey Anang, Ghanaian Sculptor, Fantasy Coffin Carpenter. Presentation, discussion, and procession of coffin carved as artist-in-residence at Sacramento State, April 18, 2019
Stay tuned for announcement of this year’s keynote!
Connect with One World Initiative Program
Department of Undergraduate Studies
Sacramento Hall , Room 234
Mon. – Fri., 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phone: (916) 278-5344