California State University, Sacramento

Based on real user feedback and statistics, no longer supports Microsoft’s Internet Explorer browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Skip to Main Content

Accounts Payable Division of Administration & Business Affairs

Support Page Content

University Travel

The Accounts Payable & Travel Office processes travel expenses approved for official university business, in accordance with the University policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements and prudent accounting practices.

Individuals traveling on university business must familiarize themselves with, and adhere to, the policies, and obtain documented authorization prior to any travel.

The following information is provided to help users comply, plan, and receive reimbursement for their allowable expenses. We are continually reviewing our processes to improve them for campus business partners.

Travel Updates

  • Domestic travel will now require all itemized meal receipts to be included with travel claim/concur report. Please refer to the BMSS on Aug 17, 2020 for specific guidelines
  • Process for Requesting Essential Travel during COVID-19 travel suspension through June 30, 2021. Please refer to the BMSS on Aug 13, 2020 for specific guidelines.
  • Idaho is now a banned state under Assembly Bill 1887. Please refer to the BMSS on June 30, 2020 for guidelines.
  • Meal Service/Delivery Fees are now reimbursable. Please refer to the BMSS on December 12, 2019

Understand Your Responsibilities 

  • Will you be traveling to conduct business on behalf of Sacramento State: attending conferences, participating in meetings, performing research, etc.?
  • Will you be authorizing travel for someone else and approving reimbursement for travel expenses? Or, preparing claims and processing payments?

For any of these conditions, it is your responsibility to become familiar with what is expected of you regarding official University travel. For comprehensive information, please review the CSU Travel and Business Expense Reimbursements Policy. In addition to Sac State's Travel Policy and Procedures for Travel Polciy. To better understand your role in complying with the University's travel regulations, please review the outline of Traveler's Responsibilities for travelers, approving officials and the University Accounts Payable & Travel Office.

Financial Services maintains and updates the travel policy and the travel procedures and regulations based on CSU policy and procedures.

Create a Travel Requisition in CFS

The travel requisition process is similar to the CFS purchase requisition process. Users and approvers must be authorized appropriate access to use CFS for designated accounts. Using the following links, you can find information on how to request access, take web-based training on various aspects of the process, or review the step-by-step user's guide for detailed information.

Rental Car Information

The University has a negotiated contract with Enterprise. Renting vehicles from a non-contracted vendor is prohibited, unless vehicles are unavailable from a contracted vendor.

Foreign Travel

Prior to reporting travel and requesting insurance, faculty members should first complete the Travel Expense Justification - International form.

It is important that Sac State faculty and students traveling internationally on University business do so in a safe manner. One such safe practice is to report to the University when a faculty member plans to travel abroad, but it is also important that insurance is in place before making such a trip.

All employees who travel internationally on CSU business are required to purchase insurance through the Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) via the California State University Risk Management Authority (CSURMA) and report planned trips as soon as practical.


Approval for all international travel must be approved by the campus President.

As per Chancellor's Office memorandom RM 2014-01, the campus President and their designee may now approve travel to designated "High Hazard Countries" or countries on the US State Department Travel Warning List for all faculty, staff, or students who travel on CSU business.

Travel to designated "War Risk" countries must still be submitted to the Chancellor's Office.

Reimbursement Rates

Calculate international currency conversions (calculator).


  • Q. What is the first thing I should do if I am planning on traveling on University business?
    A. Before you leave the Campus you should contact the person responsible for travel within your department, college, or program center.
  • Q: How can I get an advance check for travel expenses?
    A: Before you leave the Campus you should contact the person responsible for travel within your department, college, or program center; and, review the information on the Get a Travel Advance.
  • Q: What is the correct way to set-up a travel requisition with an advance?
    A: Instructions can be found in Section 3 of the Travel Requisitions Users Guide.
  • Q: How long can I expect to wait for my check?
    A: Advance checks are requested on a Travel Requisition in CFS. Notify your department Travel Coordinator if you need an advance. Generally, advance checks are ready within two weeks before your trip. If the registration is due months before your trip, you can request a travel advance and it will be paid on the day you request it to be paid. Once the advance is processed it is the traveler’s responsibility to pick the check up from the Cashier’s Office in Lassen Hall, Rm.1001.
    • For more efficient reimbursements, employees have the option to be reimbursed by electronic funds transfer (EFT) via a direct deposit to your personal bank account. Please see the following information for EFT sign-up EFT Instructions and form. The form is located within the Accounts Payable & Travel section of the ABA Forms webpage.
  • Q: Which rental car companies and airlines offer discounts to state of California employees? What methods of payment are required in order to obtain discount rates?
    A: Enterprise Rent-A-Car is the official car rental company for state employees traveling on official business. They should be utilized whenever possible. For more information, see the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Booking instructions. The State of California also contracts with airlines for reduced rates on official travel between certain city pairs. These rates are available only when payment is made using the Am Ex Government card, or with a State issued check. A complete listing of contract terms, rates and fees can be found at the State of California website.
  • Q: Is there a limit on how much I can be reimbursed for lodging?
    A: The current domestic maximum lodging rate is $275 (excluding taxes); VP (or Pres.) must pre-approve higher rates via an email or memo. Please see the domestic travel justification form.
  • Q: If I’m on personal time while traveling on business, how do I separate the hotel and car rental charges from my personal time?
    A: Generally, you will deduct the expenses incurred on your personal days of travel from the total amount on the travel expense claim. Utilizing a different method of transportation and extending travel for person reasons are two reasons for altering business related travel.
  • Q: What is the procedure for reimbursement of approved expenses? What are the typical expenses I can be reimbursed for? What receipts must I provide?
    A: An individual must have departmental approval to travel on University business and follow appropriate University procedures for requesting authorization to travel. Itemized receipts are required for the following expenses: airline, lodging, rental car, parking; and any reimbursable item costing $25 or more.
  • Q: What is an itemized receipt?
    A: A receipt that shows what was purchased and provides proof of payment by showing how it was paid.
  • Q: What are typical errors in travel reimbursement claims, and how can I avoid them?
    A: Please do the following:
    • Make sure the travel purchase order number, not the requisition number, is on the claim
    • Make sure all necessary ITEMIZED receipts are attached to the claim
    • Include expenses that were advanced and their receipts in the claim total
    • Be sure to include the departure and return dates and times
    • Make sure you have the signature of the claimant and the approving authority
    • Make sure that the traveler’s vehicle license plate number is listed on claim if traveler is claiming mileage
    • No lodging, meals, or incidental allowance may be claimed if travel is within 25 miles for the employees normal work location
    • Locating lodging where discounted state rates are given is encouraged and also getting the occupancy tax exemption when allowed by hotel
  • Q: How soon do I have to turn in my travel expense claim?
    A: To clear all travel advances and to get reimbursed, you must file an approved Travel Expense Claim, STD. 262 within 60 days of returning from a trip, send approved form to Accounts Payable, ZIP 6004.