Support Page Content
The School of Music is housed inside Capistrano Hall, right next to the six-story Parking Structure 1. For general information on the School of Music, you can call our main line at (916) 278-5155.
At the School of Music, we offer a variety of community programs and workshops, and we co-sponsor programs run by area non-profit organizations. Some of these programs can be viewed below.
Many ensembles in the School of Music welcome community participants. If you are interested in joining one of our ensembles, please consult with the faculty member in question. The University refers to these non-student performers as "Volunteer Employees", or simply "Volunteers", and University procedures must be followed before a Volunteer may participate in our ensembles.
All ensemble participants who are NOT Sac State faculty, staff, or students, must fill out the HR Volunteer Form, and also read and sign the Attachment C form. (The Attachment C form has been mandated by Executive Order 1083 from the Chancellor’s Office as part of the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA)).
Once you have filled out the HR Volunteer form, you will need your supervisor's (instructor's) signature on page 2. You may then turn in both forms to Capistrano 121. We will get the Chair/Dean signature and turn in the forms to Human Resources for processing. If you wish to obtain a courtesy parking permit for the semester, use the online UTAPS form (below) once the above forms have been submitted.
- Summer Music Camp - our own band and choir summer camp for high school students
- CalCap Chamber Music Workshop - for musicians of all ages, presented each summer in two, week-long sessions
- Golden Empire Festivals - Each spring, the Capitol Section of the California Music Educators' Association runs a series of band, orchestra, and choir festivals, as well as the solo and ensemble festival, at Sac State on select Saturdays
- Mandarins Academies - we host the Mandarins Academies on four Sundays in the fall between September and December. Youth ages 14-21 will gain experience and further their skills in brass, drums, colorguard, drum major, and woodwinds
- String Project - providing structured group lessons in violin and cello for children in the fourth grade and up. The lessons are taught by School of Music undergraduate and graduate teachers and supervised by Sac State faculty. Rehearsals run on Monday and Wednesday afternoons during the regular school year
- SYS Chamber Music Workshop - a chamber music workshop for youth ages 11-19 with at least two years of experience on their primary musical instrument
- Teagarden Jazz Festival - a day-long festival held on a Saturday in early February, dedicated to the performance and teaching of traditional jazz
- Winter Jazz Festival - our own non-competitive jazz festival, open to elementary through collegiate level jazz ensembles, combos, and vocal jazz ensembles. Held on the first Saturday in December
Facilities in Capistrano Hall are sometimes made available for rental to outside organizations on weekends during the school year (February-May and September-December). Note that our facilities are unavailable during Thanksgiving weekend (Thursday-Sunday of that week) or during Christmas break (December 24-31).
Reservations will be accepted according to the following schedule: for Spring Events (February-May): requests are only accepted from November 1-January 31. For Fall Events (September-December), requests are only accepted from May 1-August 15. Due to the busy nature of our program, space availability is limited, and School of Music events will always have priority in scheduling over community events.
The University requires a minimum of 60-days notice to process requests, so requests from outside groups must be sent to us at least 75 days prior to the event.
Room Request Form
NOTE: Organizations using this form must be educational organizations that are non-for-profit and whose primary activities fall in the field of music. All other persons/groups should inquire about facilities through Space Management directly. Organizations must also carry their own liability insurance.
If you wish to inquire in advance whether space is available (before filling out the Space Request Form), please email us.