Support Page Content
Applying to Teaching Credentials
Apply to a MAT with teaching credential program
Applications are not being accepted for Spring 2023.
The Fall 2023 application opens October 1st. New application instructions are posted below!
There is NO LONGER a Supplemental Application required for most of our programs. Instead, if you will start the program in Fall 2023 as a graduate student (having already completed your BA/BS degree), then all application materials are submitted through Cal State Apply. If you are a current CSUS student and plan to start the program as an undergraduate, please contact Ashley Ciraulo-Stuart at firstname.lastname@example.org. ONLY current CSUS students are allowed to begin the program as an undergraduate.
In order to submit your application, you will need to have completed each of the documents listed in the Application Information below. Once you are in Cal State Apply, you will be directed as to how and where to upload your documents.
- MAT with Multiple Subject Teaching Credential Application Instructions
- MAT with Single Subject Teaching Credential Application Instructions
- MAT with Education Specialist Early Childhood Special Education Teaching Credential Application Instructions
- MAT with Education Specialist Mild to Moderate Support Needs Teaching Credential (formerly Mild/Moderate Disabilities) Application Instructions
- MAT with Education Specialist Mild to Moderate Support Needs with Multiple Subject Teaching Credentials (Dual) Application Instructions
- MAT with Education Specialist Extensive Support Needs Teaching Credential (formerly Moderate/Severe Disabilities) Application Instructions
- MAT with Education Specialist Extensive Support Needs with Multiple Subjects Teaching Credentials (Dual) Application Instructions
- Early Childhood Special Education - Added Authorization Teaching Credentials Application Instructions
MAT/Credential Program Information Sessions
Virtual Information Session for Candidates interested in applying to our teacher credentialing programs for Fall 2023. (Information Session Flyer)
- Recurring Zoom link
October 4, 2022 (3 - 4:30 p.m.) - Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Special Education
November 8, 2022 (3 - 4:30 p.m.) - Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Special Education
December 5, 2022 (3 - 4:30 p.m.) - Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Special Education
January 19, 2023 (3 - 4:30 p.m.) - MAT Programs Drop-in Application Clinics (Application Q & A)
January 24, 2023 (3 - 4:30 p.m.) - MAT Programs Drop-in Application Clinics (Application Q & A)
Virtual Information Sessions for Bilingual Candidates (Hmong, Spanish) interested in applying to our teacher credentialing programs for Fall 2023.
- Recurring Zoom link
October 6, 2022 (3 - 4:30 p.m.)
November 10, 2022 (3 - 4:30 p.m.)
December 6, 2022 (3 - 4:30 p.m.)
Special Education Program Information Sessions
Special Education Programs Information Sessions for Candidates interested in learning more about a career working with children and youth with disabilities as an education specialist. RSVP here to receive the Zoom link for virtual live webinar sessions:
- November 9, 2022 (5:00 -7:00 pm), In-person, Sac State’s Eureka Hall 329
- November 16, 2022 (3:30 - 5:00 pm), Virtual
- December 12, 2022 (7:00 - 8:30 pm), Virtual
- February 1, 2023 (3:00 - 4:30 pm), Virtual
General Information about the MAT with teaching credentials
We will not be accepting applications for spring 2023 for any Master of Arts with Teaching Credential Programs.
The application period for Fall 2023 Master of Arts with Teaching Credential Programs opened on October 1, 2022 and will close on February 1, 2023 for Multiple and Single Subject programs, and will close on March 1, 2023 for all Special Education programs.
ALL Sacramento State Teaching Credential Programs are now Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) or Master of Arts in Teaching – Special Education (MAT - SpEd) programs, with a Concentration in the various credential programs that we offer (except for the ACT pathway, which is a combined undergraduate degree in CHDV plus special education credential). After completing the credential program required coursework, students may then choose whether to continue and complete the MAT/MAT-SpEd or opt out with the teaching credential completed.
Apply to return to Sac State to complete your MAT
To Apply For Fall 2023 Admission to RETURN to Sac State to COMPLETE the Master of Arts in Teaching (only for former Sac State students who completed the Multiple or Single Subject credential in spring 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021, fall 2021, or spring 2022 OR for Special Education candidates who completed the program in spring 2021, fall 2021, or spring 2022 - and did not request a leave of absence):
If you completed either a Multiple Subject or Single Subject credential, use the instructions at this link and submit your application to return in Cal State Apply by 2/1/23.
If you completed a Special Education Credential, use the instructions at this link and submit your application to return in Cal State Apply by 3/1/23.
If you have any questions about the reapplication to the MAT process, please contact Lead Advisor Ashley Ciraulo Stuart, MAT in General Education Program Coordinator Dr. Janet Hecsh (if in fall semester 2022) or Dr. Mae Chaplin (if in spring semester 2023), or MAT in Special Education Program Coordinator Dr. Jean Gonsier-Gerdin.
Credential Program Fact Sheets
- Single Subject
- Multiple Subject
- Mild to Moderate Support Needs (MMSN)
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Extensive Support Needs (ESN)
Sacramento State has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for our programs without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or ability. Sacramento State is a Hispanic-serving Institution, an Asian American Pacific Islander-serving institution, thoroughly abides by Title IX, and is a caring campus where students of all identities and intersectionalities are welcomed.
The College of Education welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse experiences. For more information please read our non-discrimination policy
Pre-requisites for the Credential Programs
If you are interested in completing pre-requisite courses for the preliminary Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Early Childhood or Moderate Severe Special Education Credential Programs, you may enroll without having been accepted to the university or to the credential program. You may take pre-requisite courses through Open University or complete the pre-requisites at another college or university. For more information, explore the links below or see “Who to Contact for Help” in the upper right on this page.
Options for Meeting Basic Skills and Subject Matter Requirements
- CTC Description of the Basic Skills Requirement
- Options for meeting the Basic Skills Requirement
- CTC Description of the Subject Matter Requirement
- Subject Matter Program Advisors and Exam Options
- Subject Matter Waiver Program Verification Form
- Degree Majors at Sac State that meet the Subject Matter Competency Requirement
- BASIC SKILLS COURSEWORK EVALUATION REQUEST FORM
- SUBJECT MATTER COMPETENCY COURSEWORK EVALUATION REQUEST FORM
Related Forms and Resources
- Credential Program Information Session Powerpoints
- Cal State Apply Application Instructions
- Cal State Apply - Application Helpful Tips
- Course Equivalency Request For Teacher Credential Pre-Requisite Courses
- Certificate of Clearance (COC) application instructions
- Options for Completing Pre-requisites
- Pre-requisite Course Equivalents
- Applicants With Foreign Documents
- CPR Training Options
- Credential Information Session
Who to Contact for Help
- Ashley Ciraulo-Stuart, Student Success Coordinator
- Karina Figueroa-Ramirez, Educational Equity Coordinator
Sacramento State is pleased to consider all eligible applicants for admission into an educator preparation program (e.g., general education teaching, special education teaching, school counseling, school psychology, and educational administration). Accepted applicants who complete all educator preparation program requirements can be recommended for state licensure (e.g., a teaching credential, a school counselor credential). If you are a DACA recipient in an educator preparation program or applying to an educator preparation program and have questions about your ability to obtain work authorization to seek employment as a credentialed educator with the State of California, please contact the Dreamer Resource Center (email@example.com; 916-278-7241) to schedule a free consultation with an immigration attorney to discuss your individual case.
We do not discriminate in in the admission process or activities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion or religious creed, disability or handicap, sex or gender (including pregnancy, sexual harassment and other sexual misconduct including acts of sexual violence such as rape, sexual assault, sexual exploitation and coercion), gender identity and/or expression (including a transgender identity), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.