Support Page Content
Applying to Teaching Credentials
MAT/Credential Program Information Sessions
Information about Fall and Winter Information Sessions and Application Workshops is available at this link
Information about Fall and Winter Information Sessions and Application Workshops specific to Bilingual applicants is available at this link
Information about Fall and Winter Special Education Programs Information Sessions is available at this link
General Information about the MAT with teaching credentials
We will not be accepting applications for spring 2022 for any Master of Arts with Teaching Credential Programs.
The application period for Fall 2022 Master of Arts with Teaching Credential Programs opened on October 1, 2021 and will close on February 1, 2022 for Multiple and Single Subject programs, and will close on March 1, 2022 for all Special Education programs.
ALL Sacramento State Teaching Credential Programs are now Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) or Master of Arts in Teaching – Special Education (MAT - SpEd) programs, with a Concentration in the various credential programs that we offer (except for the ACT pathway, which is a combined undergraduate degree in CHDV plus special education credential). After completing the credential program required coursework, students may then choose whether to continue and complete the MAT/MAT-SpEd or opt out with the teaching credential completed.
Apply to a MAT with teaching credential program
There is NO LONGER a Supplemental Application required for most of our programs. Instead, if you will start the program in Fall 2022 as a graduate student (having already completed your BA/BS degree), then all application materials are submitted through Cal State Apply. If you will start the program as an undergraduate, please contact Ashley Ciraulo-Stuart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to submit your application, you will need to have completed each of the documents listed in the Application Information below. Once you are in Cal State Apply, you will be directed as to how and where to upload your documents.
- MAT with Multiple Subject Teaching Credential Application Information
- MAT with Single Subject Teaching Credential Application Information
- MAT with Education Specialist Early Childhood Special Education Teaching Credential Application Information
- MAT with Education Specialist Mild to Moderate Support Needs Teaching Credential (formerly Mild/Moderate Disabilities) Application Information
- MAT with Education Specialist Mild to Moderate Support Needs with Multiple Subject Teaching Credentials Application Information
- MAT with Education Specialist Extensive Support Needs Teaching Credential (formerly Moderate/Severe Disabilities) Application Information
- MAT with Education Specialist Extensive Support Needs with Multiple Subjects Teaching Credentials Application Information
Apply to return to Sac State to complete your MAT
To Apply For Fall 2022 Admission to RETURN to Sac State to COMPLETE the Master of Arts in Teaching (only for former Sac State students who completed the Multiple or Single Subject credential in spring 2020, fall 2020, or spring 2021, OR for Special Education candidates who completed the program in spring 2021 and did not request a leave of absence):
If you have any questions about the reapplication to the MAT process, please contact Lead Advisor Ashley Ciraulo Stuart or MAT in General Education Program Coordinator Dr. Mae Chaplin or MAT in Special Education Program Coordinator Dr. Jean Gonsier-Gerdin.
ACT Combined CHDV degree with Special Education Credential
If you have questions about the ACT program, contact Dr. Kristen Alexander (Child Development)
Credential Program Fact Sheets
- Single Subject
- Multiple Subject
- Mild/Moderate Special Education
- Moderate/Severe Special Education
- Early Childhood Special Education
Sacramento State has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for our programs without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or ability. Sacramento State is a Hispanic-serving Institution, an Asian American Pacific Islander-serving institution, thoroughly abides by Title IX, and is a caring campus where students of all identities and intersectionalities are welcomed.
The College of Education welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse experiences. For more information please read our non-discrimination policy
COVID-19 Impact on Admissions Requirements
The CSU and the state of California understand that COVID-19 has made it difficult to meet the normal admissions requirements to a teaching credential program. Therefore, the following revisions have been made for applications to a credential program in Fall 2022:
- 45 hours of early field experience: Early field experiences with K-12 students in public schools totaling at least 45 hours has been waived as an admissions requirement.
We understand that the COVID-19 situation may present additional challenges related to securing some of the materials required for the Supplemental Application. Please email (email@example.com) with your full name and student ID along with an explanation of your situation. A staff member will respond as quickly as possible with information about what you should do.
Pre-requisites for the Credential Programs
If you are interested in completing pre-requisite courses for the preliminary Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Early Childhood or Moderate Severe Special Education Credential Programs, you may enroll without having been accepted to the university or to the credential program. You may take pre-requisite courses through Open University or complete the pre-requisites at another college or university. For more information, explore the links below or see “Who to Contact for Help” in the upper right on this page.
Related Forms and Resources
- Credential Program Information Session Powerpoints
- Cal State Apply Application Instructions
- Cal State Apply - Application Helpful Tips
- Reference Form
- Course Equivalency Request For Teacher Credential Pre-Requisite Courses
- Certificate of Clearance (COC) application instructions
- Subject Matter Program Advisors and Exam Options
- Subject Matter Verification Form
- Options for Completing Pre-requisites
- Pre-requisite Course Equivalents
- Applicants With Foreign Documents
- CPR Training Options
- Credential Information Session
Who to Contact for Help
- Ashley Ciraulo-Stuart, Student Success Coordinator
- Karina Figueroa-Ramirez, Educational Equity Coordinator
Sacramento State is pleased to consider all eligible applicants for admission into an educator preparation program (e.g., general education teaching, special education teaching, school counseling, school psychology, and educational administration). Accepted applicants who complete all educator preparation program requirements can be recommended for state licensure (e.g., a teaching credential, a school counselor credential). If you are a DACA recipient in an educator preparation program or applying to an educator preparation program and have questions about your ability to obtain work authorization to seek employment as a credentialed educator with the State of California, please contact the Dreamer Resource Center (firstname.lastname@example.org; 916-278-7241) to schedule a free consultation with an immigration attorney to discuss your individual case.