Support Page Content
Applying to Teaching Credentials
MAT/Credential Program Information Sessions
Click here for a full schedule of information sessions with the dates and times.
General Information about the MAT/MASET with teaching credentials
The deadline for Fall 2021 Master of Arts in Special Education Teaching plus Special Education Credential application HAS BEEN EXTENDED to April 1st! See below for new deadlines and information.
The deadline for Fall 2021 MAT plus Multiple Subject or Single Subject Credential Program applications has passed. ALL Sacramento State Teaching Credential Programs are now Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) or Master of Arts in Special Education Teaching (MASET) programs, with a Concentration in the various credential programs that we offer (except for the ACT pathway, which is a combined undergraduate degree in CHDV plus special education credential). After completing the credential program required coursework, students may then choose whether to continue and complete the MAT/MASET or opt out with the teaching credential completed.
Apply to a MAT/MASET with teaching credential program
Master of Arts in Special Education Teaching (MASET) with Early Childhood Special Education Credential, Mild/Moderate Credential, or Moderate/Severe Credential
First, download the MAT/MASET with Teaching Credential Application Instructions.
- Apply through Cal State Apply. IF you have graduated with your Bachelor's degree prior to beginning the credential program.
Cal State Apply Deadline for MAT with Multiple or Single Subject Credential HAS ALREADY PASSED
Cal State Apply Deadline for MASET with ECSE, Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe Credential = April 1, 2021
- Complete the required Supplemental Application to the Master of Arts in Special Education Teaching (MASET) with Early Childhood Special Education Credential, Mild/Moderate Credential, or Moderate/Severe Credential. Application link provided in the Application Instructions). Supplemental Application Deadline for MAT with Multiple or Single Subject Credential HAS ALREADY PASSED
Supplemental Application Deadline for MASET with ECSE, Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe Credential = April 15, 2021
If you need help with completing either of the two applications, contact Student Success Center
Apply to return to Sac State to complete your MAT
To Apply For Fall 2021 Admission to RETURN to Sac State to COMPLETE the Master of Arts in Teaching (only for former Sac State students who completed the Multiple or Single Subject credential in spring 2020):
First, Download the Return to MAT Application Instructions.
- Apply through Cal State Apply.
Cal State Apply Deadline for return to MAT = February 1, 2021
- You do NOT need to resubmit the Supplemental Application.
ACT Combined CHDV degree with Special Education Credential
First, download Application Instructions to apply to the ACT Combined CHDV degree with Special Education Credential
If you need help with completing the ACT application, contact Student Success Center and scroll down to “Schedule an Advising Appointment.”
Credential Program Fact Sheets
- Single Subject
- Multiple Subject
- Mild/Moderate Special Education
- Moderate/Severe Special Education
- Early Childhood Special Education
Sacramento State has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for our programs without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or ability. Sacramento State is a Hispanic-serving Institution, an Asian American Pacific Islander-serving institution, thoroughly abides by Title IX, and is a caring campus where students of all identities and intersectionalities are welcomed.
The College of Education welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse experiences. For more information please read our non-discrimination policy
COVID-19 Impact on Admissions Requirements
The CSU and the state of California understand that COVID-19 has made it difficult to meet the normal admissions requirements to a teaching credential program. Therefore, the following revisions have been made for applications to a credential program in Fall 2021:
- Subject Matter Competency: Subject matter competency (passing the CSET or completing a subject matter waiver program) has been waived as an admissions requirement. However, it is still required to earn the credential at the end of the program.
- Basic Skills Requirement: Satisfying the Basic Skills Requirement (whether through passing CBEST or another means) has been waived as an admissions requirement. However, it is still required to earn the credential at the end of the program.
- 45 hours of early field experience: Early field experiences with K-12 students in public schools totaling at least 45 hours has been waived as an admissions requirement.
We understand that the COVID-19 situation may present additional challenges related to securing some of the materials required for the Supplemental Application. Please email (email@example.com) with your full name and student ID along with an explanation of your situation. A staff member will respond as quickly as possible with information about what you should do.
Pre-requisites for the Credential Programs
If you are interested in completing pre-requisite courses in spring 2021 for the preliminary Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Early Childhood or Moderate Severe Special Education Credential Programs, you may enroll without having been accepted to the university or to the credential program. You may take pre-requisite courses through Open University or complete the pre-requisites at another college or university. For more information, explore the links below or see “Who to Contact for Help” in the upper right on this page.
Related Forms and Resources
- Credential Program Information Session Powerpoints
- Cal State Apply Application Instructions
- Cal State Apply - Application Helpful Tips
- Reference Form
- Course Equivalency Request For Teacher Credential Pre-Requisite Courses
- Certificate of Clearance (COC) application instructions
- Subject Matter Program Advisors and Exam Options
- Subject Matter Verification Form
- Options for Completing Pre-requisites
- Pre-requisite Course Equivalents
- Applicants With Foreign Documents
- Information Session Powerpoint, Special Education Programs
- CPR Training Options
Who to Contact for Help
- Ashley Ciraulo-Stuart, Student Success Coordinator
- Karina Figueroa-Ramirez, Educational Equity Coordinator
Sacramento State is pleased to consider all eligible applicants for admission into an educator preparation program (e.g., general education teaching, special education teaching, school counseling, school psychology, and educational administration). Accepted applicants who complete all educator preparation program requirements can be recommended for state licensure (e.g., a teaching credential, a school counselor credential). If you are a DACA recipient in an educator preparation program or applying to an educator preparation program and have questions about your ability to obtain work authorization to seek employment as a credentialed educator with the State of California, please contact the Dreamer Resource Center (firstname.lastname@example.org; 916-278-7241) to schedule a free consultation with an immigration attorney to discuss your individual case.