Skip to Main Content

Risk Management Division of Administration & Business Affairs

Support Page Content


The California State University (CSU) has established specific minimum requirements for persons and organizations wishing to use our facilities and/or contract with or provide service and products to the University.

Insurance Requirements

Sample Insurance Documents

Additional insured language on certificate and Additional Insured Endorsement

"The State of California, the Trustees of The California State University, California State University, Sacramento and employees, officers, directors, volunteers and agents are to be covered as additional insureds."

Evidence of Insurance

When a University-affiliated organization conducts business off-campus, the hosting entity will often require the department to prove that the University is adequately insured. The document commonly requested is an ACORD Certificate of Insurance produced by an insurance broker.

If your organization needs proof of insurance, please complete the Certificate of Insurance Request Form and send forms and/or necessary contracts/agreements to

Special Event Insurance

Risk Management Services can arrange for Special Event Insurance to outside persons or organizations with general liability coverage. This coverage is available only for events held on campus and does not include automobile liability, workers’ compensation, bodily injury. Optional coverage includes liquor liability, participant coverage, and vendors/exhibitors /concessionaires are subject to additional premium/conditions. Premiums are to be paid by expenditure transfer or invoice.

Some excluded events include circus and carnivals (including rides), mechanical amusement devices, moonbounces/trampolines/inflatable amusement devices, obstacle courses, races, and mud runs. Please get in touch with our office for a complete list of exclusions.

If your organization wants a premium quote, complete the Special Event Insurance Request Form and email it to

Vehicle Damage Insurance

Liability Protection for University Faculty & Staff

Vehicles owned and leased by California State University, Sacramento, are protected for liability by the CSU’s participation in the State of California Vehicle Liability Self-Insurance Program (VELSIP). This program is administered by the State Office of Risk and Insurance Management.

University-owned vehicles are not automatically protected for “comprehensive” or “collision” risks (damaged to the vehicle). If your college /department wants to insure a vehicle for physical damage, please provide the vehicle’s year/make/model, current mileage, the amount paid, and year of purchase to

Responsibility for Coverage by Faculty/Staff

  • Privately owned vehicles, are the responsibility of the vehicle’s owner. Accordingly, the owner’s private automobile liability insurance is primary. Before “privately owned vehicles” can be used on University business, you must be registered and cleared by Risk Management.
  • Cars rented while on University business become the personal responsibility of the renter. However, by proper use of the state's contracted car rental firms, you can be protected. See Rental Car Information on University Travel website for more information.


Effective January 1, 2005, 15-passenger vans are prohibited and may not be used, leased, purchased, rented, borrowed, or driven on University business. See the University Policy PM 04-07.


For authorization to drive vehicles on University Business, please refer to, Driving on University Business for more information.

Vehicle Accidents

Vehicle Accidents must be reported by the employee/supervisor to Risk Management no later than 24 hours following an accident. Please refer to Reporting a Vehicle Accident section on the Driving on University Business webpage.

Filing a Claim Against the University

A person must file a claim filed against the CSU with the Office of Risk Management at the Chancellor’s Office. Prospective claimants are encouraged to visit the website to File a Claim.

A claim must be timely filed after the incident occurred, along with a $25 claim filing fee made out to “Trustees of CSU.” Completed claims must be delivered or mailed to:

The California State University - Office of the Chancellor
Risk Management and Public Safety
401 Golden Shore, 5th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210

The $25 filing fee is refundable if the claim is accepted. The claimant must use the official claim form or provide the required information to consider the claim within the statutory time frame.

Foreign Travel Insurance Program

The Chancellor’s Office requires all faculty, staff, and students who travel internationally on CSU business to use the foreign travel insurance program (FTIP) and report planned trips as soon as practical.

Before requesting foreign travel insurance, faculty members should submit international travel requests through Concur Travel for all state-funded travel. However, if traveling using Foundation funds, travelers should use the Travel Expense Justification – International (ITEJ) located on the Accounts Payable & Travel forms page.

Approval and Payment

  • Approval for all international travel must be approved by the campus President.
  • Academic Affairs will pay premiums for travel by faculty pending campus president approval.
  • Individual departments not within Academic Affairs (that are self-funded) must pay for their own foreign travel insurance coverage
  • Other premiums, such as immediate family coverage, are paid out of pocket.

Student Foreign Travel

Students who travel should contact International Programs and Global Engagement for guidance. Premiums for students will be added to their student account, which is due and payable within 15 days.