Alumni and friends of the University made 2014-15 one of the best years ever for private support of Sacramento State.
More than 6,700 individuals and organizations contributed $15 million in gifts and commitments, and for the fifth year in a row, the University exceeded its fundraising goal. The gifts included more than $1.6 million for scholarships and the establishment of 27 new endowments and funds.
“Support from donors allows us to provide life-changing learning opportunities for our students,” says Vince Sales, vice president for University Advancement. “Private gifts also help us fund the support systems – like scholarships and peer-group programs – that are so vital in making their dreams of a college degree a reality.”
Other highlights from the 2014-15 fundraising year include:
- Ongoing generosity and a significant bequest from Les Harper ’55, a member of the first Sacramento State class at the J Street location, and his wife, Anita, resulting in the naming of the Alumni Center as “The Leslie and Anita Harper Alumni Center.”
- Support from athletics booster Allie Beth Kenner to create two endowed basketball scholarships and provide $50,000 to the “Power of 1,000 Hornets” campaign to build an Events Center on campus.
- A $300,000 grant from the W.M. Keck Foundation for the Sustainable Interdisciplinary Research to Inspire Undergraduate Success (SIRIUS) Project, an initiative to adopt the American River next to campus as a living laboratory.
- The most successful Green and Gold Gala to date, raising more than $450,000, with proceeds benefiting scholarships.
- The University Foundation at Sacramento State’s 4 percent payout on the University’s endowment, resulting in nearly $1 million in support for students and programs.
Sac State’s fundraising success comes as part of a California State University system-wide uptick in alumni giving. During the CSU’s celebration of its Class of 3 Million campaign, the system reported a record $341 million in gifts, reflecting a 44 percent increase in alumni support.
For more information on private support of Sacramento State, contact Lori Bachand, associate vice president for Advancement Communications and Stewardship, at (916) 278-2140 or see Sac State’s Annual Report of Giving. For media assistance, contact the University’s Public Affairs office at (916) 278-6156.