California State University, Sacramento

Based on real user feedback and statistics, no longer supports Microsoft’s Internet Explorer browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Skip to Main Content

Coronavirus Information for Students Division of Student Affairs

Support Page Content

Health & Counseling Updates

Last Updated 8/27/2020

How can I decrease the risk of becoming infected with COVID-19?

  • Clean your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
  • Use hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available after touching surfaces.
  • Wear masks or face coverings when you are not alone*.
  • Practice physical distancing

*Masks or face coverings are required in public spaces while on campus, in classrooms and in California. Face coverings protect you and those around you from droplets from your nose or mouth.

What if I feel sick?
Student Health and Counseling Services will remain open for students. We ask that you call before you come so that we can provide you with an appropriate appointment and prepare for your visit. We are able to offer phone, zoom, and limited in-person appointments. Please call 916-278-6461. During non-business hours you will be immediately connected to our Nurse Advice Line.

What if I have been exposed to someone with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19?

  • Notify campus as soon as possible using the COVID-19 reporting form.
  • Self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days
    • Check for fever (temperature 100.4 degrees or higher)
    • Dry cough
    • Sore throat
    • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
    • Muscle or body aches
    • Headache
    • Congestion or runny nose
    • Diarrhea
    • Nausea or vomiting
    • New loss of taste or smell
  • If you become sick, isolate at home and contact your medical provider. Many illnesses, including the coronavirus, do not need doctor’s care, but it is important that you quarantine for at least 10 days from symptom onset.

If the illness is severe, call your healthcare provider or Student Health & Counseling Services at 916-278-6461. Do not go directly to the health center, urgent care or an emergency department without calling first. That will allow them to prepare for you. Look for emergency warning signs for COVID-19. If you are showing any of these signs, seek emergency medical care immediately:

  • Trouble breathing
  • Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
  • New confusion
  • Inability to wake or stay awake
  • Bluish lips or face

Do not call 911 or go to an emergency department unless you are having severe symptoms.

  • Testing for COVID-19 is only recommended for symptomatic persons.

What should I do for my older or sick relatives and neighbors?
It is important to self-isolate from anyone aged 65 and older or with a chronic health condition (heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, cancer) or have weakened immune systems. These individuals are particularly vulnerable and at high-risk for complications due to the COVID-19 virus. Maintain contact by phone, email, social media, etc. Set up a system of family and friends to provide support, including delivering essentials to homebound and sick people.

Health and Wellness Promotion

Are health and wellness events being offered?
Yes, all wellness events, presentations, and workshops will be held virtually. For wellness tips and updates about services and future events, follow us on Instagram or Facebook - @shcssacstate.

Are nutrition appointments available with the Registered Dietitian?
Yes, virtual appointments are available. Please contact (916) 278-6461 to schedule, change, or cancel an appointment.

Am I still required to attend a substance abuse sanctioning appointment?
Yes. All appointments will be provided virtually. Please contact Rachel Alvarez at for further questions or scheduling appointments.

What services can I access at the Health & Wellness Promotion office (WELL 1st floor)?
The Health & Wellness Promotion office is closed until further notice. Tobacco Quit Kits are still available in the Student Health & Counseling Services Pharmacy (WELL 1st floor).

Medical Services

Is Student Health & Counseling Services (SHCS) open for business for the remainder of the semester?
Yes. SHCS will remain open for all services Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4:00 pm.

What if I am worried about having been exposed to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Students who have concerns about their exposure risk or symptoms should call SHCS at 916-278-6461 or their healthcare provider. It's important to call before coming in. Exposure risk is thought to be low and in most cases, symptoms are mild. Patients at greatest risk are individuals 65 years or older with chronic medical conditions. An after-hours advice nurse is available. To talk with a nurse 24/7, please call 1-207-228-9040.

Is SHCS able to provide a note if my employer or professor requires a note to go back to work or clear absence in class?
SHCS does not provide visit verification or absence excuses for students who have missed work or school.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that “employers allow flexible sick-leave policies during this outbreak and encourage employees to stay home if they are ill with acute respiratory illness until they have no signs of a fever and any other symptom for at least 24 hours.” Additionally, “employers should not require a note from a medical provider to return to work.” (Coronavirus, 2020)


Can I still come to campus for a face-to-face therapy appointment?
Yes, under certain circumstances students are still able to attend therapy appointments in person on campus. However, all students are strongly encouraged to try therapy over Zoom in order to best protect all of us. We will talk to you to figure out what will best meet your needs.

Can I do therapy online?
Yes. Call the front desk at 916-278-6416 and they will connect you with a counselor who can get you started.

Can I schedule an appointment online?
Not right now. Please call the front desk at 916-278-6416 so we can make sure you are scheduled for the appointment that will best meet your needs.


Is the Pharmacy open?
Yes. The pharmacy is open Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm, close 12:00-12:30 for lunch. We are open for prescriptions and OTC medication sales. The pharmacy direct line is 916-278-6040.

Can I get my prescriptions mailed to me if I don’t come to campus?
The pharmacy is offering limited mail order services for prescriptions for a nominal fee. Please call the pharmacy for details.

How do I transfer my prescription out to another pharmacy?
Have your pharmacy call the Sac State Pharmacy at 916-278-6040 so that we may transfer your prescription out to them.

Do I need an annual flu shot? How much does it cost?
Yes! This year, it is especially important to get an annual flu shot. The flu shot will be free to the Sac State campus community.

Does the annual flu shot protect against the COVID-19?
No! The annual flu shot does not provide protection against COVID-19. It is highly recommended to get the flu shot, in order to mitigate the effects of one of these two respiratory infections. The COVID-19 vaccine is currently in development and may not be available until next year.

Connect with Us

Student Health & Counseling Services at The WELL
Mon-Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Phone: (916) 278-6461
Fax: (916) 278-7359

Meet Our Staff

Our Facebook
Our Twitter
Our Instagram