About Counseling Services
We offer confidential individual and group counseling. If you would like to explore whether counseling is right for you, the first step is to call us during business hours at 916-278-6461.
If you are experiencing an urgent matter, you can drop in during our business hours.
If you are in immediate crisis, please call 911 or the Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Peer Counselors (PCs) are part of the Student Health and Counseling Services team and serve as an additional on-campus resource to promote safety and well-being. PCs are current students who are trained to be supportive, helpful listeners and problem solvers. PCs offer a non-judgment and confidential space to discuss any concerns.
Interested in joining the Peer Counseling team? The yearlong program includes:
- Training in basic counseling skills by licensed professionals.
- Education in a variety of diversity, inclusion, mental health and general wellness topics.
- The opportunity build leadership, interpersonal communication and group facilitation skills.
- A space to practice working with diverse populations in a sensitive and empowering manner.
- Opportunity to learn and grow with a small group of peers.
Interested in being a Peer Counselor? Applications for the 2022-2023 cohort will open in February 2022. For more information contact Katelyn Sandoval.
Group Counseling is a confidential service provided to all eligible students. Therapy groups are often limited to a maximum of 12 people.
Once therapy has begun the group is closed. Closed groups with a small number of participants allow for trust building and group cohesion, thus allowing groups to be therapeutic.
Connect with Counseling Services
Student Health & Counseling Services
at The WELL
Mon-Thu: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Fri: 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Phone: (916) 278-6461
Fax: (916) 278-7359