Support Page Content
All recreation majors, and many of our graduate students, complete professional internships, consistent with the accreditation standards for our undergraduate programs. Students should work with Faculty advisor to find an internship placement.
Internships are complicated and need to meet various standards for programmatic reasons and to satisfy campus and CSU rules that help establish liability coverage for both students and agencies. For this reason there are many forms and agreements to read and prepare, as well as routine mandatory meetings where these elements are explained.
In addition to individual program requirements outlined below, all interns:
- Must work under an agency employee who is at the supervisor/management level.
- May be paid or unpaid, depending upon agency resources.
- Are required to complete a project approved by the agency supervisor in consultation with the faculty advisor.
Recreation Administration(RA) & Hospitality and Tourism Management(HTM)
Due to Council on Accreditation, Parks, Recreation and Tourism requirements all students must complete 1,000 hours of work or volunteer experience in the field. At Sac State, students are required to complete 600 pre-internship hours and 400 internship hours. Approved internship sites for Recreation Administration (RA) and Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM) can be found at community engagement center: Community Partner List
All pre-internship hours must be completed before a student can enroll in the internship course (RPTA 195). Students should consult with their faculty advisor if they have questions regarding pre-internship hours, including what may or may not count and how far in the past an experience might have been and still be counted.
The RA Internship can be completed in full (10-15 units) (Note: 1 unit of credit equates to approximately 40 hours of placement) or in partial segments (4-6 units)
- 195R-RA full internship (10-15 units)
- 195Q-RA partial internship (4-6 units)
- 195G-HTM full internship (10-15 units)
- 195H-HTM partial internship (4-6 units)
For more information on on these options, attend the mandatory meetings and speak with your advisor.
Forms and information related to RA & HTM Pre-Internships and Internships
- Coming soon...Internship Manual (RA & HTM)
- Form A (Pre-Internship Hours) PDF: turn into RPTA Academic Advisor. All pre-internship hours must be completed prior to starting your internship.
- Form B (Contract Agency Form): This form must be submitted by students who choose to conduct their internship at a site not listed on the Community Partner list. Form must be submitted via CEC Connect by the following dates: Feb.15th if interning in the Summer or Fall semesters; Oct.13th if interning in the Spring semester. The Internship coordinator is Dr. Elizabeth Erickson and can be contacted via email: email@example.com Access form B on CEC Connect and download Instructions for RPTA Internship Forms here for further details.
- Form C (RA & HTM Internship Agreement): Must be submitted via CEC Connect and completed along with a statement of Goals and Objectives, signed by the student, the major advisor and the agency supervisor, before the department registers the student for RPTA 195Q, R, G & H. Students must make sure that all parties emails are correct when filling out the form to make sure all signatures are collected. Incomplete forms will not be processed. Form must be submitted via CEC Connect by the following dates: Nov 15th if interning in Spring 2024; Apr 15th if interning in Summer 2024; Jul 29th if interning in Fall 2024. Students can access form C on CEC Connect and download Instructions for RPTA Internship Forms here for further details.
- Form E (RA & HTM Internship Summary Reports): Submit to faculty internship supervisor*.
- Form F (Final Project Proposal): Submit to faculty internship supervisor*.
- Form G (RA & HTM Intern Evaluation): Submit to faculty internship supervisor*.
- Form I (Student Work Log Sheet): Submit to faculty internship supervisor*.
* The faculty internship supervisor is the faculty member assigned to supervise you during your internship. These assignments are often determined based on faculty workload considerations and the faculty member assigned may not be your own major advisor. During the internship, you should communicate and respond to your faculty internship supervisor as you would to any course instructor, and it is the faculty internship supervisor who will determine and assign your internship grade.
- Concurrent Enrollment: Enrollment in RPTA 195R, 195Q, 195G or 195H is required to receive course credit and gain university liability insurance coverage.
- Hours for National Accreditation: 400 hours (equivalent to 10 weeks of full-time work).
- This can be completed as a full internship (195R-RA full internship / 195G-HTM full internship) or by combining two partial internships (195Q- RA partial internship / 195H-HTM partial internship). Partial internships can be done at different agencies
Recreation Therapy (RT) Internships
- Supervision: Interns must work directly under the agency's Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) (agencies that do not have a CTRS cannot have a Recreation Therapy intern).
- Concurrent Enrollment: in RPTA 195D is required to receive course credit and gain university liability insurance coverage.
- Hours for National Certification: 560 minimum hours (equivalent to 14 weeks of full-time work).
- Hours for California Certification: 600 minimum hours (equivalent to 15 weeks of full-time work).
- Internship Project: All interns are required to complete a project approved by the agency supervisor.
Special Requirements for Recreation Therapy Internships
RT students must carefully choose their internship sites with their advisor's advice in order to meet certification requirements. RPTA maintains a spreadsheet of RT agencies with exisiting contracts with the University for RT internship placement
Be advised: that for national certification through NCTRC (see above), you must ensure that your supervisor is a CTRS. Check Supervisor CTRS Status
Proposing An Internship Site/Agency
If you find an agency that meets the requirements for an RT internship that is not in the spreadsheet, please send the following information to Dr. Christina Davis, CTRS firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name and title of person legally authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the facility
- Phone number and email address of the above
- Full name and address of the facility
- Full Name and contact information for the facilities Recreational Therapist.
After this information is received, it is sent to the University's contract officer, who will get in contact with the agency to negotiate details of a contract.
Please note that submitting this information does not guarantee the university and/or the agency will agree to a contract. Allow up to six months for a contract to be processed.
RT Pre-/Internships Forms
- Internship Manual (RT)
- Form A (Pre-Internship Hours) PDF: submit to RPTA Academic Advisor. All pre-internship hours must be completed prior to starting internship.
- Form B (Intent to Intern): This form must be submitted by students who choose to conduct their internship at a site not listed on the Community Partner list. Form must be submitted via CEC Connect by the following dates: Feb.15th if interning in the Summer or Fall semesters; Oct.13th if interning in the Spring semester. The Internship coordinator is Dr. Christina Davis and can be contacted via email: email@example.com Access form B on CEC Connect and download Instructions for RPTA Internship Forms here for further details.
- Form C (Petition to Waive Requirements): This form is not required and only to be completed by students who would like consideration for an alteration in the standard internship process. Consult your advisor if you are unsure whether you need to complete this.
- Form D (RT Internship Agreement): Must be completed, along with a statement of Goals and Objectives, signed by the student, the major advisor, and the agency supervisor, and submitted via CECConnect the department registers the student for RPTA 195D. Incomplete forms will not be be processed. Form must be submitted via CEC Connect by the following dates: Nov 15th if interning in Spring 2024; Apr 15th if interning in Summer 2024; Jul 29th if interning in Fall 2024. The Internship coordinator is Dr. Christina Davis and can be contacted via email: firstname.lastname@example.org Access form D on CEC Connect and download Instructions for RPTA Internship Forms here
- Form E (RT Internship Summary Reports): Submit to faculty internship supervisor*.
- Form F (Final Project Proposal): Submit to faculty internship supervisor*.
- Form H (RT Intern Evaluation): Submit to faculty internship supervisor*.
- Form I (Student Work Log Sheet): Submit to faculty internship supervisor*.
- RT Sample Goals and Objectives: For reference only, this is an example set of goals and objectives for a hypothetical RT internship. Use this to help you write the goals and objectives which accompany your Form D.
*The faculty internship supervisor is the faculty member assigned to supervise you during your internship. These assignments are often determined based on faculty workload considerations and the faculty member assigned may not be your own major advisor. During the internship, you should communicate and respond to your faculty internship supervisor as you would to any course instructor and it is the faculty internship supervisor who will determine and assign your internship grade.
List of RT Contracted Agencies
|Ability 360 Sports and Fitness Center||5031 E. Washington St. Phoenix AZ 85034||6/12/17-6/11/22||Kelsey Bocken||CTRSemail@example.com|
|Adaptive Sports Center||P.O. Box 1639 Crested Butte CO 81224||1/30/18-1/29/23||Benjamin Banker||CTRSfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ann & Robert Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago||225 East Chicago Ave. Chicago IL 60611-2605||3/15/19-3/14/24||Molly Sliwa||CTRSemail@example.com|
|Baywood Court||21966 Dolores Street Castro Valley CA 94546||8/20/18-8/19/23||Vy Nguyen, CTRS||Internship Coodinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Capital Transitional Care -Covenant Care||6821 24th St. Sacramento CA 95822||7/10/19-7/09/24||Miley Chang||CTRSemail@example.com|
|Cedar Hills Hospital||10300 SW Eastridge St Portland OR 97225-5044||8/12/19-8/11/22||Elizabeth Crooks||Contract/Credential Cooridinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Challenge Alaska||3350 Commercial Dr. Suite 208 Anchorage AK 99501||6/01/20-5/31/25||Jeff Dick||CTRS, ParaSport Alaska Coordinator||(907) 344-7270 email@example.com|
|Child & Family Guidance Center - Northpoint School||9650 Zelzah Avenue Northridge CA 91325||10/29/19-10/28/24||James Overall||CTRS||(818) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|City of Boulder, Parks & Recreation||3198 Broadway St. Boulder CO 80304||9/1/19-9/1/24||Lori Goldman, CTRS||Therapeutic Program Coordinator||(303) email@example.com|
|City of Eugene Adaptive Recreation Services||2580 Hilyard St. Eugene OR 97405||7/23/19-7/22/24||Andy Fernandez||CTRS, CPRP, Sec. Mgr. Senior Adult & Adaptive Rec Services||541-682-6305||Afernandez@eugene-or.gov|
|City of Fort Collins: Adaptive Recreation Opportunities||215 N. Mason St. 3rd Fl. Fort Collins CO 80524||1/18/19-1/7/23||Renee Lee, CTRS||Adaptive Recreation Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|City of Las Vegas||495 S. Main St. Fifth floor, Las Vegas NV 89101||4/25/18-4/24/23||Jennifer Winder||CTRSemail@example.com|
|City of San Ramon / Parks & Community Services||9300 Alcosta Blvd. San Ramon CA 94583||1/7/18-1/16/23||Jessica Reaber||CTRS, RTC / Recreation Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Community Gatepath||350 Twin Dolphin Dr #123, Redwood City CA 94065||5/19/20-5/18/25||Chelsea Farrington, CTRS||Rec Therapy Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|Cosumnes CSD Park & Rec District||9355 E. Stockton Blvd., Elk Grove CA 95624||5/20/19-5/19/24||Brittany Simon||Rec Coordinstor, Adaptive & Inclusive Programming, CTRSfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dept. of State Hospitals - Atascadero||10333 El Camino Real PO Box 7001, Atascadero CA 93423||Paid Internship 8/26/19-6/30/22||Dan Morley||Recreational Therapy Internship Directoremail@example.com|
|Dept. of State Hospitals - Coalinga||24511 W. Jayne Ave., Coalinga CA 93210||Paid Internship 8/26/19-6/30/22||Carly Lesar||CTRS||(559) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Eagle Mount Billings||1140 16th St W #12 Billings MT 59102||12/9/20-12/08/25||Rachel Heveron, CTRS||Adaptive Program Director||(406) 969-2949||RachelH@eaglemountbillings.org|
|Ferraro Behavior Services, LLC||9512 Lima Road, Ste. 103/104 Fort Wayne IN 46818||12/5/18-12/4/23||Emma Flaugh||CTRS||260-385 email@example.com|
|Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington||325 9th Avenue B359819 Seattle WA 98104||8/8/18-8/7/23||Constance Armstrong-Beyerlin (aka Missy)||Manager, IP Rehabilitation and Psychiatry||(206) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|HCR ManorCare Rehabilitation Center - Marietta||4360 Johnson Ferry Place Marietta GA 30068||1/30/18-1/29/23||Laura E. Kelly, CTRS||Senior Rec Therapy Director||770-971-5870 ext. email@example.com|
|Heritage Oaks Hospital||4250 Auburn Blvd. Sacramento CA 95841||9/18/18-9/17/23||Maribel Gutierrez||CTRS||916-489-3336 ext. firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jack C. Montgomery VA||1011 Honor Heights Dr. Muskogee OK 74401||12/21/18-11/1/28||Deborah Moreno||CTRS||(918) email@example.com|
|National Ability Center||1000 Ability Way Park City UT 84060||5/28/20-5/27/25||Andrea Stack||CTRS, Intern Supervisor||435.649.3991 x607||AndreaS@discovernac.org|
|NHC Place at The Trace||8353 Highway 100 Nashville TN 37221||5/10/19-5/9/24||Rachel Anderson||CTRSfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Paramount House Senior Living||2061 Peabody Rd. Vacaville CA 95687||8/14/19-8/13/24||Kathy Pawlak||CTRS/Activity Directoremail@example.com|
|Peak View Behavioral Health Hospital||7353 Sisters Grove Colorado Springs CO 80923||6/7/18-6/6/23||Victoria Platt, CTRS, MHA||Director, Rec Therapyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital||2415 De La Vina St. Santa Barbara CA 93102||5/1/20-5/1/23||Kathy Schmitt||CTRS/Intern supervisor||(805) email@example.com|
|Sutter Valley Hospital-Rehab Institute||2700 Gateway Oaks Dr, Ste 1100, Sacramento CA 95833||7/1/18-6/30/23||Alyssa Rose||CTRSfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sutter Valley Hospital-Center for Psychiatry||2700 Gateway Oaks Dr., Ste 1100||7/1/18-6/30/23||Cierra Dulgar||CTRSemail@example.com|
|Sutter Valley Hospital-Senior Care PACE||2700 Gateway Oaks Dr., Ste 1100, Sacramento CA 95833||7/1/18-6/30/23||Kathleen Harrison||CTRSfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|The HEART Center||21152 N. 22nd St. Pheonix AZ 85024||10/15/20-10/14/25||Chelsea Harden, CTRS||Executive Director||(818) email@example.com|
|The Heritage Community||5600 N Heritage School Dr. Provo UT 84604||3/16/18-3/15/23||Laura Bennion, CTRS||Peers Rec Therapy Supervisor||(801) 226-4643 ext. firstname.lastname@example.org|
|The Milieu Center||3951 Performance Dr, STE A, Sacramento CA 95838||Austin Balnis||CTRS||(916) 779-2009||Austin@milieucenter.com|
|The WELL at Sac State||6000 J Street, Sacramento CA 95819||9/2/20-9/1/25||Alivia Gok, CTRS||Adaptive Recreation Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|U.S. Adaptive Recreation Center||43101 Goldmine Dr., Big Bear Lake CA 92315||5/6/19-5/5/24||Sara Rosell||RTC, CTRS||(909) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|VA Long Beach Healthcare System||Long Beach CA||7/12/19-6/20/25||Crystal Bracy-Wilson||CTRS, SCI/D Rec Therapist||562-826-8000 ext. 2121||Crystal.Bracy-Wilson@va.gov|
|VA Northern CA Health Care System Recreation Therapy Section (117/MTZ)||150 Muir Rd., Martinez CA 94553||3/1/17-6/30/27||Gary Agcaoili, CTRS||Rec Therapy Supervisoremail@example.com|
|VA Palo Alto, Sierra Pacific Network||3801 Miranda Avenue, Palo Alto CA 94304||8/12/18-7/31/23||Bria Heymach||CTRS/intern coordinator||office: 858-3163
|VA San Francisco Medical Center||4150 Clement Street (116M) San Francisco CA 94121||Nov 2019 until terminated||Christian Dillon||CTRS, MS, CPT Strength & Wellness Fitness Coordinator||415-221-4810 ext 24093||Christian.Dillon @va.gov|
|Willow Springs Center, LLC||690 Edison Way, Reno NV 89502||1/13/20-1/12/23||Elizabeth Seegraber||CTRS||(775) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Windsor Healthcare Center of Oakland||5/6/2020-5/5/2025||Maria Thompson||CTRS|
|Youth Villages Inner Harbour Campus||4685 Dorsett Shoals Rd., Couglasville GA 30135||12/20/2019-12/19/2024||Richard Shaw||CTRSemail@example.com|
Note: These documents are subject to change and information may be added or removed as the Department receive updates from agencies. It is provided as a resource for students searching for internships in this difficult time and we apologize if any agency information changes more frequently than we can amend the document
- The Gain Fund
The GAIN Fund Increasing Student Equity and Access to Career Opportunities. Too often, Sacramento State students— who are 46% Pell Grant-eligible and 30% first-generation—are confronted with a difficult choice: keep a steady frontline job needed for essential living expenses or take a temporary, unpaid, career-building internship.