Support Page Content
Graduate Program in Political Science
Master of Arts in Political Science
The primary aim of our program is to foster an understanding of government and politics in general and also to promote the development of analytic and other scholarly skills.
Our view of the discipline is broad and, in some respects traditional. We encourage students first to acquire a good foundation in basic course work and the tradition of political discourse along with some exposure to the many subfields of political science before pursuing more specialized interests.
The 30-unit program, which students customize to meet their interests and career goals, is designed to fit the needs of working professionals with classes held in the evenings.
Brian DiSarro, Professor and Graduate Coordinator
The Graduate Coordinator advises all prospective and incoming students.
Once a student is established in the program, his/her advisor is his/her major professor (that is, the professor he/she works most closely with and who supervises his/her thesis or comprehensive exams).
The Department of Political Science is unable to provide financial assistance to its graduate students. Graduate students are eligible, however, to apply for the Douglas McDaniel Memorial Scholarship, the Livingston Fellowship, and the Donald R. Gerth Scholarship in Political Science which are available to be awarded each year. Students seeking assistance should contact the CSUS Financial Aid Office.
Admission Requirements & Procedures
Admission as a classified graduate student in Political Science requires:
- A baccalaureate degree and
- A minimum 3.0 grade point average in the last 60 units attempted and 3.0 in the major.
All prospective graduate students, including CSUS graduates, must complete the following:
Submit Online Application, Fees & Transcripts/Documents
- Complete Online Application by March 1, 2019 at Cal State Apply
- Submit transcripts and other documents to the Office of Graduate Studies by March 1, 2019 (if you have foreign documents they are due one month prior to the posted deadline).
All Official Transcripts should be sent to:
California State University, Sacramento
Office of Graduate Studies
6000 J Street, River Front Center 215
Sacramento, CA 95819
Department Supplemental Materials
- Statement of Purpose
- Writing Sample
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from individuals who can evaluate the applicant’s potential for successful graduate study. We prefer letters from faculty familiar with the applicant’s academic work, but we understand some people applying have been out of school for several years. We also ask the Letter of Recommendation Form be included with the letter.
Note: Statement of Purpose and Writing Samples should be uploaded using your MySacState account. Letters of Recommendation should be emailed directly from the recomender to the Graduate Coordinatorand should include the Letter of Recommendation Form mentioned above.