Name: Ronald M. Coleman (he/him/his)
Title: Professor, Biological Sciences and Interim Director of the Student Research Center
Office Location: TSC 3023, 119 Humboldt Hall and 2026 Library
Office Phone: (916) 278-3474 or (916) 278-4063 or Cell: 916-705-2606
Mailing Address: Department of Biological Sciences, 6000 J Street, California State Univeristy Sacramento, Sacramento, CA 95819-6077
Office Hours: Wed 2pm-5pm (or by appointment) in Hmb 119
Evolutionary Ecology of Fishes Laboratory : https://www.csus.edu/indiv/c/colemanr/
Updated : May 30, 2022
Courses that I teach:
- Undergraduate: Bio 1: Ecology, Evolution and Biodiversity; Bio 9:The Living World: Evolution, Ecology & Behavior (non-majors); Bio 100: Introduction to Scientific Analysis; Bio 109: Biology of Dinosaurs; Bio 162: Ichthyology; Bio 167: Quantitative Reasoning; Bio 169: Animal Behavior; Bio 173: Fisheries; Bio 186: Ecological and Environmental Issues Seminar; Bio 188: Evolution; Bio 199: Undergraduate Research
- Graduate: Bio 221B: Research Methods; Bio 260: Advanced Ecology; Bio 269: Behavioural Ecology; Bio 273: Advanced Fisheries; Bio 299: Graduate Research
Sample lecture from Bio 169 (Animal Behavior) Spring 2021
Evolutionary Ecology of Fishes Laboratory: https://www.csus.edu/indiv/c/colemanr/
Parvis, E.S. and R.M. Coleman (2020) Sexual dimorphism and size-related changes in body shape in Tule Perch (Family: Embiotocidae), a native California live-bearing fish. Copeia 2020:12-18.
Brumbaugh, S. and R.M. Coleman (2017) Evaluation of Bayesian Networks for Predicting Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawtyscha) spawning Habitat Quality in Data-Poor Watersheds. North American Journal of Fisheries Management.
McClearn D., Castro E., Coleman R., Espeleta J., Garcia-Robledo C., Gilman A., Gonzalez J., Joyce A.T., Kuprewicz E., Longino J., Michel N., Rodriguez C.M., Romero A., Soto C., Vargas A., Wendt A., Whitfield S., Timm R.M. (2016) The Caribbean Lowland Evergreen Moist and Wet Forests. Chapter 15 in Costa Rican Ecosystems (Ed., Kappelle M.) University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois.
Lasko, G.R., Titus, R.G., Ferreira, J.R. and R.M. Coleman (2014) Straying of late-fall run Chinook salmon from the Coleman National Fish Hatchery into the lower American River, California. California Fish and Game 100:665-682.
Bajjaliya, F.S., Titus, R.G., Ferreira, J.R. and R.M. Coleman (2014) Morphometric variation among four distinct population segments of California steelhead trout. California Fish and Game 100:703-726.
.... older publications at https://www.csus.edu/indiv/c/colemanr/
What I do...
Committees and Activities
AITC Academic Information Technology Committee, NSM representative (to Spring 2024)
Canada Exchange Committee (for CSUS Study Abroad program) (committee is dormant now)
CFA (California Faculty Association) representative for Biological Sciences (link to the current Contract)
C.O.A.S.T. (CSU Council on Ocean Affairs, Science and Technology)
CSUS Natural History Museums
CSUS Student Research Competition (Faculty advisor)
Department of Biological Sciences Budget, Equipment, Space and Safety Committee (2019-2022)
Dinner with a Scientist
EEC Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Group
Expanding Your Horizons 2022 (April)
e-WPAF committee (finished?)
Field Biology Group (faculty advisor)
MakerSpace Advisory Committee
McNair Scholars Program (faculty mentor)
Moss Landing Marine Laboratory (CSUS representative to MLML)
Museum of Ectothermic Vertebrates (Curator)
NSM Academic Council (through spring 2022)
NSM Secondary Committee (Chair 2021-2022, serving through 2024)
On The Rise Capital Campaign Ambassador
OneWorld Committee (2021-2022 theme is "Transformation")
OTS REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) Summer 2021, Costa Rica
Peer Review Committee (PRC) (2018-2022)
Sacramento State Online Natural History Museum (curator)
STARmentor program (faculty mentor)
Student Research Center Interim Director 2019-2022
University Experts Guide
USGS Environmental Studies, Geology and Ecology Colloquium Series
WRPI (CSU Water Resources, Policy and Initiatives)
Field Biology Group (new site)
"The buck stops here". Feel free to contact me with issues related to the above groups and committees.
- Ayelet Delascagigas finished Masters degree
- New Graduate Students for Fall 2021: Olivia Sinclair and Stephen Gergeni
- Ashton Espino accepted into OTS Summer REU in Costa Rica
- Kenzie Akers accepted into NSM Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) program
- Leigh Sanders got admitted into the Integrative Genetics and Genomics PhD program at UC Davis
- New graduate students for Fall 2020: Rachael DeVaughn, Anessa Forshey
- Colleen Moore finshed Masters degree
- Hali Rederer finished Masters degree
- Riad Morrar got accepted into UC Davis Medical School
- Emily Hadjes accepted into the Masters program at San Jose State University for Fall 2020
- Anessa Forshey accepted into the Masters program at Sacramento State
- Hailey Donaldson and Breann Benitez were awarded Summer 2020 NSM SURE awards
- Breann Benitez was accepted into OTS Summer REU in Costa Rica (unfortunately, the program had to be cancelled due to Covid 19)
- paper published: Parvis, E. and R. Coleman (2020) Sexual Dimorphism and Size-related Changes in Body Shape in Tule Perch (Family: Embiotocidae), a Native California Live-Bearing Fish. Copeia 2020:12-18.
- We are profoundly sad to announce that Brian Keegan, who started his Masters degree in the lab in Fall 2019, died on Feb 28, 2020, age 28.
- Ron was awarded the Outstanding Faculty Award for Scholarly and Creative Activities in NSM for 2019/2020 Academic Year
- Ron Coleman and Anessa Forshey were featured in an article on the Expanding Your Horizons workshop "Fun With Fishes" Nov 2, 2019
- Ron won second place in the first annual NSM Pitch Contest Oct 25, 2019
- Ron appeared in a video about the NSM Student Research Competition Oct 24
- Ron was appointed Interim Director of the Student Research Center for CSUS (Fall 2019-Spring 2020)
- New Graduate Students (Fall 2019) Crystal Rigby, Brian Keegan
- Recent graduates: Jamie LeFevre (MS) Summer 2019
- Raiyna Villasenor won first place in the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology section of the national 2019 Sigma Xi Student Research Showcase
- NSM SURE award Summer 2019 to Leigh Sanders
- Leigh Sanders won "best oral presentation" for Ecology/Evolution at the West Coast Biological Sciences Undergraduate Research Conference (San Diego, April 6, 2019)
- Kristyn Schulte won "Honorable mention" for her NSF Graduate Research Fellowship application (April 8, 2019)
- Breann Benitez accepted into OTS Summer REU at La Selva
- Macy Petrula accpted into Harvard University summer REU
- 2018 SAD/ARA grants to Breann Benitez, Andrew Stilleke, Raiyna Villasenor, Hali Rederer;
- Kimmy Swafford accepted into medical school at Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona), Erik Christiansen accepted in UC Davis vet program...
- 12 poster presentations at the NSM Research Symposium (Oct 5, 2018)
- Expanding Your Horizons ("Fun with Fishes" Fall 2018
- Summer 2018 Successes: Laura Givens now in PhD at Duke, Chris Keyes in PhD at Duke, Jerene Pfeiffer in MS at University of the Pacific, Rafi Feroz in Dentistry in Arizona, Peggy Brady in PhD at UC Riverside, Mark Volpe accepted into Master of Nursing at John Hopkins, ...
- New Graduate Students: Chad Hirano, Kristyn Schulte (Fall 2018)
- 'Recent graduates: Angela Akens (MS) Spring 2018
- Biological Sciences Living Gallery -- Fabulous Fishes display
- Cichlid Fry Project
- New Graduate Students: Ayelet Delascagigas (Spring 2018)
- Recent graduates: Jeff Changaris (MS) Fall 2017; Beth Parvis (MS) Spring 2016; Erin Strange (MS) Spring 2016; Steve Brumbaugh (MS) Spring 2015
- Video of mouthbrooding posted on BBC Earth (October 2014)
- STEM talk by Ron Coleman, Tues Feb 21, 2012 Here is a streaming video of this talk (scroll down to "Feb 21, 2012 Underwater Treasures....")
- Made at Sac State: NSM. My segment is in the NSM in the Community: MACE and STEM portion.
- I was awarded the Outstanding University Service Award for the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics in 2016, the Outstanding Teacher Award for NSM in 2014, and the Outstanding Community Service Award for NSM in 2012.