Skip to Main Content

Student Service Center Division of Student Affairs

Support Page Content

Student Services: Frequently Asked Questions & Resources Guides


View your Documents on Student Aid

A guide for student and parents to access their Student Aid account and their financial aid records such as the Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement, Entrance Counseling, Master Promissory Note, and more.

View Your Documents on Student Aid Guide

How to Complete the Student Loan Requirements

A guide for students to complete their federal student loan requirements such as Entrance Counseling, Master Promissory Note, and Exit Counseling.

How to Complete the Student Loan Requirements Guide

How to Complete the Parent Loan Requirement

A guide for parents to complete their federal PLUS loan requirements such as Applying for the PLUS Loan, Master Promissory Note, and more.

How to Complete the Parent Loan Requirement Guide

Commonly Asked Questions

The Student Service Center provides a wide array of student services which include but are not limited to enrollment, financial aid, scholarships, and student records. Review our commonly asked questions below.

Q: How can I contact the Financial Aid Office?

Financial aid services are redirected to the Student Service Center in Lassen Hall, Room 1000. In person services are based on first-come-first serve basis. There are no appointments offered. You can also email the Student Service Center if you have any financial aid questions.

Q: Where can I submit my final transcripts?

Official sealed transcripts can be dropped off at the Student Service Center in Lassen Hall, Room 1000. There is a document drop-off box on the left-hand side of our entrance.

Q: How do I change or update my Name and/or SSN?

Students can submit their request online using the Change of Name/Gender/DOB/SSN/ITIN number and attaching supporting documentation.

Q: How do I apply for financial aid?

File your Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) or Dream Act Application. The application opens on October 1 each year and encouraged to file by the priority deadline to qualify for state funding. The current application period is 2024-2025 for Fall 2024 and Spring/Summer 2025.

Sac State’s federal school code: 001150.
The school code applies to both the FAFSA and CA Dream Act Application.

Q: How much does it cost to attend Sac State?

A standard academic year includes two semesters, fall and spring. Registration fees are broken down by semester which consists of tuition fees and mandatory campus fees. View Sac State's current prices per semester based on enrollment.

Q: How much does it cost to live on-campus?

Housing prices vary based on your room selection and meal plan. View the current Housing Application & Costs Webpage.

Q: How does financial aid pay my registration and/or housing fees?

If you have accepted your financial aid offers, funds automatically pay toward outstanding charges on your student account a week before the start of the semester based on enrolled units. Waitlisted units are not counted. Be sure to clear any Financial Aid Holds or To-Do List items to ensure a timely disbursement.

Q: How do I submit financial aid documents?

There are three options to submitting financial aid documents! It’s important to include your name and student ID number on all physical forms. Use a coversheet when provided and sign all areas that require a pen-to-paper signature. Never email your documents due to sensitive data.

  1. ONLINE UPLOAD (Preferred!): Upload documents securely from your Student Center > Financial Aid links section. Compatible with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge web browsers. This is the best and fastest option for the office to receive your documents.
  2. IN-PERSON: Submit documents to the Student Service Center’s document drop-box located in Lassen Hall on the left-hand side of Room 1000.
    Attention: Financial Aid and Scholarships
    6000 J Street
    Sacramento, CA 95819-6044

Receipt of your financial aid documents

Allow up to five business days for any submitted documents to change from “Initiated” to “Received” status on your Student Center > To Do List. Documents will remain on your To Do List in “Received” status as it is pending review by the office. Note: Incomplete documents (I.e., illegibility, missing information or signatures) will remain in “Initiated” status and will require a resubmission. You should be notified by the Financial Aid office when incomplete.

Provisional Financial Aid

Q: What is Provisional Aid?

Provisional aid is an “estimate” of a student’s financial aid offers for the school year. This feature is only offered to incoming NEW Fall students. It’s intended to help new students get an idea of the type of financial aid they may be eligible at Sac State.

Q: Where can I see my Provisional Aid?

Starting in April each year, new students can view their Provisional Aid by simply logging onto their Student Center. From there, locate the Finances Section, select “View Financial Aid,” and select the applicable aid year. Additional details can also be viewed by clicking the hamburger menu and selecting account details.

Q: My Provisional Aid is zero, what should I do?

In order to view your Provisional Aid, please make sure you have completed and submitted a current FAFSA application on www.studentaid.gove and listing Sac State's federal school code 001150.

If You recently submitted your FAFSA, allow up to a week to see your provisional awards.

Q: What is considered Provisional Aid?

Federal grants and student loans will be a part of your provisional award letter. It may include but not limited Pell Grant, State University Grant, and Federal Student Loans.

Disbursements & Refunds

Financial Aid disbursements (i.e., payment of financial Aid) usually begin a week before the start of the semester in one lump-sum. Some students may experience multiple disbursements if there are changes to their class schedule or if awarded late. After the semester has begun, disbursements occur twice a week (Wednesday/Friday) up to the census date (i.e., enrollment lock date) each semester. Thereafter, disbursements will continue once a week throughout the semester until all accepted aid is paid out.

Q: What is the difference between a financial aid disbursement and refund?

A financial Aid disbursement occurs when accepted aid is approved for payment on a student’s account which can be applied toward any outstanding university charges (i.e., registration, course fees, and on-campus housing fees).

A financial Aid refund occurs when the Bursar’s office processes a refund transaction which can be issued as a paper-check or a direct deposit (eRefund) to a student’s bank account. This process typically occurs if there are excess financial aid funds after all university charges are paid on the student's account.

Q: How do I know if my financial aid disbursement occurred?

Log onto your Account Activity page located on the Student Center > Finances section to identify if a disbursement occurred and/or if a refund is issued.

It is your responsibility to submit all requested financial aid documents and clear any disbursement holds in order to ensure timely disbursement of aid.

  1. To confirm if a disbursement occurred, identify the financial Aid programs (i.e., Federal Pell Grant, Cal Grant, etc.) transaction item(s) and amounts the listed line-by-line.
  2. To confirm if a refund is issued, identify the transaction item that states “Financial Aid Refunds” with the listed amount for the applicable semester. From the “Posted Date,” you can determine when you will receive financial Aid based on your refund method.

Q: How will I receive my financial aid refund?

Any excess aid after all school fees are paid will be issued to the student. There are two refund methods offered:

  • Paper-check (default method) occurs within five to seven days of the posted disbursement date to the current address on file. Take into consideration for additional mailing time.
    • Parent PLUS loan refunds are issued a paper check to the parent borrower, direct deposit is not offered.

Direct deposit occurs within two to three business days from the posted transaction date. The student must signed up for eRefund to receive a direct deposit.

Q: What can I use my financial aid refund for?

Financial aid is a resource to assist with educational expenses which include but are not limited to: books, supplies, food, housing, transportation, etc. The school does not require receipts for proof of purchases.

Q: My financial aid did not cover all the charges on my student account?

If your financial aid do not cover the total charges on your account, you will be responsible for the remaining balance. You are encouraged to work with our Bursar’s office for payment options at To discuss your financial aid options, connect with the Student Service Center in Lassen Hall 1000.

Q: I’m still adding classes, why did my financial aid adjust?

If the semester has begun and you are currently making schedule changes, your financial aid awards will automatically adjust based on your enrolled units (wait-listed units are not counted) when disbursement occurs. Once you are enrolled in your final units, your awards will automatically adjust and disburse accordingly – no need to inform the office.

Resource: View the full disbursement and refund policy.

Financial Aid Fee Deferment

A fee deferment is an option that lets financial aid students put off paying their registration fees for a bit. Basically, if you qualify, the Financial Aid office can give you extra time to pay. They usually set this up around when you're registering for fall and spring classes. It's like hitting a pause button on your fees!

Q: How do I qualify for a fee deferment?

First off, you must have filed a current financial aid application. Then, submit any required documents by the set deadlines. Monitor your account and CSUS email for updates. If offered, it should automatically be found in the Holds section of your Student Center.

Q: How do I keep my fee deferment?

By submitting any requested financial aid documents on your account and/or accepting your aid offers.

For continuing students, you must additionally meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Your SAP status will be reviewed after the Spring grades post, mid-June. If SAP standards are not met, your fee deferment will be removed, and you will be required to pay all registration fees by the due date listed on your account. You are encouraged to work with our Bursar’s office for payment options at to secure your enrollment.

Q: When does my fee deferment expire?

Locate the expiration date on the details section of the deferment on your account.

Q: My fee deferment expired but my financial aid has not disbursed?

It’s possible that your file may have a hold or outstanding To Do List items from the Financial Aid Office. It’s important that you are checking your account regularly to clear holds and To Do List items. Once the fee deferment expires and you have outstanding charges, you must pay your registration fees to avoid being dropped from your classes. If you are dropped from courses after the semester begins, you will be required to pay pro-rated fees. You are encouraged to connect with the Bursar’s office for payment options at ahead of timer!

Financial Aid Verification

The U.S. Department of Education picks some students at random, and if you're chosen, your school will ask you to prove the info on your application is correct. They might ask for extra documents, but don't worry - it's normal and doesn't mean you did anything wrong. It's just to make sure everything's accurate. Sometimes, you may get selected by the school or students can self-initiate this verification process. The end goal is to make sure you get the correct and maximum amount of aid.

Q: I already verified my information on my financial aid application, do I have to submit the listed documents?

Yes! Students who are selected for Financial Aid Verification are required to submit documentation to confirm the accuracy of their aid application by the school. Required items will be listed on your Student Center > To Do List. Check your student account to determine what may be needed.

Avoid submitting documents that are not requested, it will only delay your file.

To Do List Statuses:

  • Initiated: Item(s) requires action by the student.
  • Received: Item(s) received by the office and pending review.

Note: Documents that are processed will be removed from your To Do List.

Q: How can I get help completing the forms?

Check out the Video Resources & Tutorials first! It provides visuals and steps on how to complete your documents. If you need further assistance, contact the Student Service Center.

Q: How long does it take to process my documents?

Allow four to six weeks of processing time upon receipt of ALL submitted documents to the Financial Aid office. The processing timeline may increase during peak periods and near the start of the semester. Note: Processed documents will be removed from your To Do List.

Q: I have submitted my forms and it’s still on my To Do List?

Check the document status on your To Do List by selecting the “more” link.

To Do List Statuses:

  • Initiated: Item(s) requires action by the student.
  • Received: Item(s) received by the office and pending review.

Financial Aid Awards 

Financial aid awards consist of federal/state funds and scholarships. Awards are initially offered based on full-time enrollment (12+ units undergrad/ 8+ units post-bacc). Eligibility will vary based on a student’s individual file and available funding.

Q: What types of financial aid awards are available?

There are Grants, Loans, and Scholarships available.

  • Grants are funds that do not require repayment and are from federal and state funds.
  • Loans are borrowed monies that require repayment.
  • Scholarships are similar to grants but awarded by a third party.

Q: What is a provisional financial aid award letter?

A provisional award letter displays “estimated” financial aid awards. It’s intended to help newly admitted fall admits to determine their award status. These awards cannot be accepted. Refer to the Provisional Financial Aid section for commonly asked questions.

Provisional awards are not offered to newly admitted spring students and continuing students as they will receive their final award offers instead.

Q: How do I accept/decline my financial aid offers?

Once you are notified of your financial aid offers, you should have access to accept/decline the offers on your Student Center > Finances Section > Accept/Decline Award link. If awarded grants and/or scholarships, they will already reflect “accepted” on your award letter.

Remember, loans are borrowed funds and will require you to take action. They will not be automatically accepted on your behalf.

Q: Why are there are no financial aid offers on my Student Center?

Most likely, you have outstanding tasks to complete. Check your Student Center > To Do List and Holds sections. Details and instructions will be listed in those areas.
Note: Continuing students are typically awarded by July after spring grades are reviewed.

Q: Am I required to be in full-time to qualify for aid?

No, the minimum eligibility is part-time (6 units undergrad/ 4 units post-bacc). Please note that your award amounts will adjust to match the part-time enrollment.

Q: I dropped a class/classes, do I have to repay back aid?

Before dropping a class, we encourage you to contact Student Service Center for an advising session. You may or may not have award adjustments based on your individual file.

Q: How do I reinstate or increase my loan offer?

Use the current Change in Aid e-form located on the Student Service Center Form’s page. Select the e-form that is applicable to the current aid year. Allow up to three weeks for processing upon submission.

Q: How does my Parent apply for the PLUS loan?

The Parent loan borrower of the student can apply for a Parent PLUS Loan on

Q: Incoming Fall student: How do I access my financial aid offers?

The Financial Aid office typically post the provisional award letters starting April on your My Sac State account, Student Center > Accept/Decline Award link for those who filed a financial aid application.

Final awards will be posted based upon completion of the student’s file. Refer to the Financial Aid Admitted Checklist for your next steps.

Q: Incoming Spring student: How do I access my financial aid offers?

The Financial Aid office begins posting awards once you are admitted for the Spring semester. There are no provisional award letters offered for spring admits. Refer to your My Sac State account, Student Center > Accept/Decline Award link for your award details.

If no awards are posted, refer to the Financial Aid Admitted Checklist for your next steps.

Q: Why am I unable to accept my Federal Work-Study award?

You MUST be officially hired through an on-campus or off-campus Federal Work-Study employer before the award can be accepted. Once hired, your employer must complete the necessary paperwork to report your employment status. Your award will then be accepted on your behalf by the Financial Aid office when all hiring steps are completed, no need to contact the office.

Q: How can I get proof of my Federal Work-Study award?

If awarded, students can simply print or save the Award Package page found on the Finances section > Accept/Decline Award Link. If a formal letter needs to be provided by the office, then the student can use the Third-Party Financial Aid Verification form to submit their request.

Q: My parents and/or I have experienced a loss of income, can I file an appeal?

The initial review of the 2024-2025 financial aid application is based on the 2022 tax year (the required tax year to be reported). If there is a change in the income year 2023 or 2024, the student may submit the Loss of Income appeal starting in July. The form will be available on the Student Service Center Form’s page under the Appeals section.

Important! The outcome of the appeal may or may not change your financial aid eligibility. You MUST determine how to cover your expenses (i.e., tuition, housing, books, etc.) regardless of your intent to submit an appeal or wait for the results. Processing time is about six weeks and students will be notified of the results of their appeal to their CSUS email.

Golden State Teacher Grant (GSTG)

Q: I applied for the Golden State Teacher Grant (GSTG). When will Sac State determine my eligibility?

The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office will begin certifying 2023-24 GSTG eligibility for applicants in July 2023. If you applied before July 2023, and you are eligible for GSTG, you should be notified by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) by early August. If you applied after July 2023, please allow 2-4 weeks for the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office to certify your eligibility. Once your eligibility is certified by our office, you will be sent a notification to the email address you used to file your GSTG application.

Q: How do I know if I’m approved for the GSTG?

If approved, you will be prompted to complete a GSTG Service Agreement (SA) by email from the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Be sure to check the email address you used to file your GSTG application.

Q: How do I complete the GSTG Service Agreement?

Log into your Golden State Teacher Grant portal to complete the Service Agreement (SA) online.

Q: How much will I receive in GSTG?

Award amounts are determined by the student’s financial aid application which includes their Cost of Attendance (COA), Student Aid Index (SAI), and other financial aid received. GSTG can be used to replace Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans if there is limited room in your COA, even if your loans have already been disbursed. The Financial Aid Office will request the maximum GSTG award amount based on your eligibility.

Q: Where do I find my award amount?

Log into your Golden State Teacher Grant portal and review your Service Agreement (SA).

Q: How do I reduce my GSTG award amount?

If you wish to receive less than your approved GSTG award amount, please submit the current Change in Aid eform found on the Financial Aid Section of SSC Forms Page. Use the “Additional Comment” section at the bottom of the form to indicate the reduce amount of the GSTG award to the Financial Aid office. Allow 2-4 weeks for updates to occur.

Q: After I sign my Service Agreement (SA), when will I receive payment?

After you signed your SA online, Sac State will request a paper check from the California Student Aid Commission. Checks typically arrive within 8-10 weeks. You will be notified via your CSUS outlook email when the award is disbursed. If you are eligible for a refund after the grant has disbursed, it will be processed based on your current refund method with Sac State.

  • Fall semester payments are anticipated to arrive in late September/early October. If you applied after the fall semester began, a check should arrive 8-10 weeks after you sign your SA
  • Spring semester payments are anticipated to arrive in late February/early March. If you applied after the spring semester began, a check should arrive 8-10 weeks after you sign your SA

Q: There is a Golden State Teacher Grant (GSTG) hold on my MySacState account. How do I clear the hold?

The hold will automatically clear on its own when the GSTG funds received by the Financial Aid office which can take 8-10 weeks from the date you signed your Service Agreement (SA). The hold is specific to a fall or spring semester as funds are requested by the office.

Q: Why did I receive only half of my total GSTG award amount?

If you are attending Sac State for both fall and spring semesters, your total GSTG award will be split into two payments. You’ll receive the first half of the payment in the fall, and second half in the spring. If you are graduating in the fall, you may be eligible for one payment only (up to your maximum cost of attendance).

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) are academic standards that must be met and maintained by all students who apply for financial aid. Refer to the complete list of SAP FAQ’s for details. Watch the Satisfactory Academic Progress | What is SAP? How to Appeal to learn more!

Q: What are the SAP standards?

There are three SAP standards students must meet to maintain aid eligibility:

  1. Overall Degree Progress Standard
  2. Minimum Cumulative GPA Standard
  3. Satisfactory Pace Standard

Q: What if I do not meet SAP?

If you do not meet SAP, you are ineligible to received financial aid (i.e., federal/state funds, including student loans). If you are eligible to file an appeal, it will be listed on your To Do List.

Q: What is a SAP appeal?

A SAP appeal is composed of two parts: (1) online appeal, and (2) documents to support your reason(s). In some cases, students may have to submit an academic plan (if instructed). The appeal gives students the opportunity for aid reconsideration. If eligible to file, it will be listed on your Student Center > To Do List in “initiated” status.

Note: The SAP appeal is not mandatory and there is no impact to registration or enrollment status if a student chooses not to file.

Q: How do I file a SAP appeal?

If eligible, a link to the SAP Appeal will appear on your Student Center > To Do List late-June (after your SAP status is determined). The appeal will be an electronic form with specific questions for you to address. Documents to support your answers should be uploaded through your Student Center for a complete appeal.

Review the SAP Appeal Checklist PDF to learn how to submit a complete appeal.

Q: What should I include in my SAP appeal?

SAP Over Unit Disqualification: You did not pass SAP based due to attempting coursework that is more than 150% of the minimum units required for degree program.

  • A complete Over Unit SAP Appeal must include: The SAP Appeal, SAP Appeal documentation and an Official Academic Plan. Your appeal should explain all coursework attempted that does not apply to your current degree program.

SAP GPA (Grade Point Average): You did not pass SAP based on cumulative GPA (Undergrad, 2.0 GPA/ Post-bacc, 3.0 GPA).

  • A complete GPA SAP Appeal must include: The SAP Appeal and SAP Appeal documentation. Your appeal should explain coursework where earned grades affected the GPA per the university catalog.
  • Consider the following grades that affect GPA: “A” – “D,” “F,” “WU.” Grades with no effect to the GPA: “CR,” “NC,” “I,” “RP,” “W,” “RD.”

SAP Unit (Current Percentage Earned) = You did not pass SAP based on not successfully completing 67% of units attempted, in the previous academic year attended

  • A complete Unit SAP Appeal must include the SAP Appeal and SAP Appeal documentation. Your appeal should explain coursework where non-passing grades affected the 67% of completion.
  • Consider the following grades that are considered non-passing: “F,” “I,” “NC,” “W,” “WU.”

Q: Do I need to provide supporting documentation for my SAP appeal?

Most extenuating circumstances should be documented. If you are unable to provide documentation, submit an additional signed statement to thoroughly address your situation and clarify why there are no supporting documents.

Q: What type of supporting documentation can I submit?

Supporting documentation should address the timeline of the incident and your involvement that caused you not to meet the SAP standards. Suggested documents can include but not limited to: third-party letters from other person(s) or professionals who can attest to your extenuating circumstance should be submitted. Example: documentation supporting an auto accident.

Q: Why are the semesters that I did not receive aid count against me?

Federal regulations require the review all students the same for attempted and earned coursework during their degree progress even during the periods where aid was not used so determining aid eligibility will be equitable for all.

Q: My SAP appeal was approved for Fall but what about Spring?

If your appeal was approved in the fall semester, you will be placed on SAP Probation for that semester. To receive your spring financial aid, you must pass SAP Probation standards from coursework attempted in the fall.

Q: What happens if I had a SAP Appeal approved in the fall but I did not meet fall SAP grade check?

If you failed fall grade check, your spring aid will be cancelled and a hold will be placed on your account. If you are eligible for a secondary appeal, you will be notified through your My Sac State.

Q: What do I do if I had a recent grade change that may affect my SAP status?

Depending when your grade changed and for what term/academic year, the Financial Aid Office may or may not be able re-evaluate your SAP Standing. Please contact our Student Service Center for advising.

Q: Who can I contact about my SAP status or appeal?

For more information on your SAP status, contact the Student Service Center in Lassen Hall, Room 1000. Visit the Student Service Center Form’s page for details.

Q: My SAP appeal was approved for fall but I plan to attend the spring semester instead, will I still get aid?

If your appeal was approved in the fall semester but you plan to attend in the spring instead (of the same academic year), inform the Financial Aid Office in writing using the current Change in Aid eform to have your awards adjusted.

Summer Aid

Summer financial aid is offered to continuing students that have a FAFSA filed for the current aid year. Award amounts and eligibility will vary based on your specific Full details found on aid summer aid eligibility are found on the Summer Session Page.

Q: Is there Financial Aid offered for the Summer session?

Yes, continuing students who have aid eligibility can utilize their funds for the summer session. Review the Summer Session Page for details.

Q: What types of Financial Aid are offered?

Summer Pell Grant and/or Federal Direct Student Loans. Amounts and eligibility will vary based on a student’s individual file.

Q: When does summer aid disburse?

Since summer has different start dates and two sessions, summer disbursement occurs when at least 6 units have begun. For instance, if both of your classes begin in the first 6-week, then it should disburse during the first week of instruction. If your classes are split between first 6-week and second 6-week, then it should disburse at the start of the second 6-week. It will be the same process for student loans.

Q: How much does it cost to attend the summer session?

Summer registration fees are completely different from a standard fall/spring semester. Courses are charged per unit. Review the current summer registration fees on the College of Continuing Education’s Website.

Q: How do I know if my summer aid covers my classes?

Every student’s file is different, we recommend using the Budget Your Summer Costs form to help map out your costs and summer aid.

Q: Who can I contact about my summer registration?

The summer session is mandated by the College of Continuing and not through the main campus. You can email CCE at or visit them online through the CCE website.

Registration & Enrollment

Q: When can I enroll for the semester?

Continuing students can find their assigned registration appointment date and time on their Student Center. Refer to the Academic Calendar for details. Note: Fall registration appointments are typically assigned in April and Spring registration is assigned in November.

If you are a newly admitted student, registration typically occurs during New Student Orientation.

For Winter and Summer registration dates, refer to the College of Continuing Education Website.

Q: I have a registration appointment but unable to enroll?

Check your appointment date and timeslot for the exact moment you can enroll on your Student Center page. It is possible that you may also have registration holds. Check your Student Center > Holds and clear any outstanding Registration Hold(s) listed. Details on how to clear the hold(s) will be listed in the description.

Holds can include and not limited to pre-requisites, department consent, mandatory advising, online safety-training, etc. Note: You will receive an error message when attempting to enroll into the class.

Q: The class is listed as “open” but I am unable to enroll?

There may be prerequisites (requirements set by the academic department) that must be fulfilled before you can enroll or restrictions set by the academic department. Review the error message you received when attempting to enroll in the class. Contact the academic department if have questions.

Q: What is a waitlisted class?

A waitlisted class is a class that is full and the instructor has opened a “wait list” for students to join and potentially get added in the class, if seats become available. If an enrolled student(s) drops the class, you may move up on the waitlist. Note: Students on the waitlist are not officially enrolled or guaranteed to be enrolled into the class. Not all classes will offer a waitlist.

Q: The waitlisted class is no longer on my schedule?

The University deletes all class waitlists the Friday before the start of each semester to prepare for late registration. It is up to the instructor to download the waitlist prior to then. You will need to use the Petition to Add/Drop/Withdraw from Courses (Student) to get permission from the instructor to add the class. Note: Check your class schedule to determine if you have been added into the class.

Q: When is the open registration period?

Students who are eligible to enroll can adjust their class schedule for the fall/spring semester(s) during the open registration period which occurs before the start of each semester. Refer to the Academic Calendar for current open registration dates.

Late registration occurs during the first two weeks of the semester.

Q: What does Department Consent Required mean?

You must obtain permission to take this class (instructor consent). Locate the instructor contact information on Sac State’s directory and contact the instructor via email. The instructor should provide instructions or permission to enroll into the class.

Q: How do I add or drop a class once the semester started?

Students normally have two weeks (late registration) from the start of the semester to add/drop classes through their Student Center. For example: If the fall semester begins on August 26. You’ll be able to adjust your class schedule during the first two weeks of the semester directly on your account.

If the class is full or closed, students may submit the Petition to Add/Drop/Withdraw from Courses (Student) online to let the instructor know they are interested in adding the class. Note: If approved, the Academic Department will process the add/drops form(s).

Q: What is the Census date?

The census date is when enrollment locks and your class schedule is finalized for the semester. The Census date falls on the fourth week of the semester. It is the last day to make changes to your enrollment. Refer to the Academic Calendar for the current semester’s Census date.

It is the deadline to add classes to your schedule and drop a class without receiving a “W” grade on your academic record.

Q: When is the last day to add a class?

Students must add a class by the Census date to be counted for the semester. Refer to the Academic Calendar for the current semester’s Census date.

If you are a financial aid student, your aid will be adjusted to match your enrolled units by the Census date.

Q: When is the last day to drop a class without receiving a “W” grade?

Classes must be dropped from your class schedule by the Census date (to not receive a “W” grade on your academic record. This condition also applies to a semester withdrawal (i.e., dropping all classes). Learn more about “W” grades on the Academic Policies Website. Refer to the Academic Calendar for the current semester’s Census date.

Q: How can I drop all of my classes for the semester?

A Semester withdrawal is when a student drops all of their classes. Students must complete the Semester Withdrawal Form online to formally notify the University. Note: If you are dropping classes after the semester has begun, you may incur prorated tuition and fees, for the time period you were enrolled prior to the withdrawal date. If charges are owed, it will be posted on your Student Center.