Skip to Main Content

Inside ECS My Sac State

Support Page Content

ECS Faculty Travel Information

For assistance with travel, please contact your Department Administrative Support Coordinator (ASC) first. They can assist you with the Request process which starts with the Essential Travel Expense Justification (TEJ) form. This form is to be completed and submitted to the ECS Dean’s Office for all travel.

BEFORE making travel arrangements, here are items you need to be aware of:

  • Travelers must submit a travel request and receive approval prior to booking any travel.
    • Domestic Travel requests must be submitted 30 days prior to travel.
    • International Travel requests must be submitted 60 days prior to travel.
  • Itemized receipts for ALL travel expenses including MEALS are required and must be submitted with the Expense Report regardless of funding source.
    • Alcohol is prohibited and not reimbursable. Please purchase separately.
  • The funding source will determine how you will submit your Travel Request and Travel Expense Claim. Below are the different funding sources and how travel is requested.
  • Concur will be used for ALL funded and non-funded Domestic and International travel. If you have not received Concur training, this must be completed prior to using Concur.
    • ALL General/Department funded travel is entered in Concur– no exceptions.
    • Foundation (UFSS) Accounts - Travel to non-banned States will be entered in Concur. If traveling to a banned State, the electronic (paper) Essential Travel Expense Justification form and expense claim form will be used.
    • UEI funded Travel. Enter in Concur with a “$0.00” dollar amount. When approved in Concur download the travel request. It is submitted with paper forms to UEI.
    • Unfunded Travel. Enter all travel details in Concur with $0.00.
  • Travel Expense Claims MUST be received within 60 days of travel. Claims submitted after the 60-day window are left to the discretion of the campus, considering the facts and circumstances, whether the reimbursement will be made and if any reporting as taxable income will be required.
  • Tipping: Tips cannot exceed 20% of total. If you would like to leave a larger tip, it will be an out of pocket expense.
  • Upgrades: Any upgrades in airfare, pre-boarding, rental cars, or lodging over the maximum per day, etc. require pre-approval before booking. You will need to justify the expense using the Travel Policy Exception Justification form, and receive approval. If not approved, they will be out of pocket expenses.
  • When traveling with family, please purchase their airfare and All meals separately. This will make the reimbursement process easier and cleaner.
  • Personal Travel will be an out of pocket expense and not reimbursable. You may claim the day before an event/meeting and the day after for reimbursable travel. Any other days are considered personal travel days and not reimbursable. Also, if more than 25% of the time is spent on personal travel, that portion of the trip is considered taxable income and will be reported to the IRS.
  • When renting a car, please use Enterprise. The University has a negotiated contract with Enterprise. Renting vehicles from a non-contracted vendor is prohibited, unless vehicles are unavailable from a contracted vendor. The approved vehicle classes for rental are Compact or Intermediate. And other classes require pre-approval. Please complete the Travel Policy Exception Justification form, and include it with your travel request.
  • Most Economical Form of Travel. The University will only reimburse you for the Most Economical Form of Travel. If you would like to drive rather than fly, advanced approval is required. Please provide a cost estimate for Airfare, typically using Southwest Airlines. Enter your travel dates to see what airfare would cost and save it as a PDF. It will need to be included with your travel request. If flying is less expensive than driving, you will only be reimbursed for what your airfare and round-trip mileage to and from the airport would cost.
  • Complete the Travel Policy Exception Justification form, and attach the cost estimate screen shot(s) of regular coach fare in effect at the time of travel. This must be included with:
    • Concur travel request and expense claim.
    • TEJ travel request and expense claim forms.

Impact of Failure to Comply with Travel Policies and deadlines

Each Traveler is individually responsible for compliance with the travel procedures including, but not limited to, timely submission of his or her Travel Request and Travel Expense Claim (Concur or paper forms) and obtaining the required approvals.
Travelers may not delegate the responsibility for compliance with these procedures to any other individual.
Failure to comply with the procedures and/or timelines set forth herein may result in non-approval of travel and/or reimbursement.

Student Travel - Funded or Unfunded Travel

This applies to every Domestic funded or unfunded University-related trip taken by students during the academic year, and summer.

To request Student travel, each Student will need to complete the steps below and submit all forms 30 Days Prior to Travel.

Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in unauthorized travel and our inability to reimburse students for expenses.

Travel Forms

Essential Travel Expense Justification Form

Travel Policy Exception Justification Form: Please use for any exceptions to Travel Policies.

Domestic Travel Checklists

Domestic Travel Request Checklist

Domestic Travel Expense Claim Checklist

International Travel Check Lists

International Travel Request Checklist

International Travel Expense Claim Checklist

Driving on University Business

There is a checklist and 3 forms that must be completed – VOA, DAP, and STD 261.

More info on Risk Management's driving on university business webpage.

UEI Travel Request, Checklists, and Expense Claim Forms

Essential Travel Expense Justification Form

UEI Travel Request Checklist

UEI Travel Expense Claim Checklist

Below are links to International Travel you will need to check before making travel arrangements. The links below can also be found on the University Travel website.

Foreign Travel Insurance Request form: All employees who travel internationally on CSU business are required to purchase insurance.

Foreign Per Diem Rates by Location: This website shows you the maximum per diem rates allowed for lodging and meals based on international destination.

International Currency Converter: All receipts will need to be converted to USD before they are submitted for reimbursement.

Travel Advisories – High Hazard warning list.

Below are links to University Travel Websites.

University Travel

Concur Travel

Academic Affairs Travel

Risk Management