Support Page Content
Law Enforcement Candidate Scholars' (LECS) Program
The LECS program is a 21st century solution that partners local and state law enforcement agencies in California and their neighboring communities. The LECS program is expressly designed to eliminate challenges and barriers that face women and men seeking opportunities in law enforcement. The LECS program is fashioned to increase higher education and graduation rates, as well as and career placement while creating greater inclusion in recruitment and hiring within law enforcement. The LECS program also addresses leadership and policy issues and community relations concerns locally and throughout the state and the nation.
How to Apply
- Open to full time Sacramento State juniors/seniors.
- Course recommended: CRJ 1 (May be taken concurrently or substituted; supplemental instruction available)
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must pass the LECS application screening process and meet the minimum requirements for California Peace Officer certification
- Must pass a background check and get approval from the LECS program and sponsoring agency
- Requires at least a three semester committment (1 year of LECS training/workshops plus 1-2 semesters of part time internship and training with a law enforcement agency). See sample first year workshop schedule in the Student Resources section.
- Note: We are also accepting a LIMITED number of exceptional graduating seniors with only two semesters left who strongly desire and meet the criteria to be a law enforcement cadet.
- Note: Students who are freshmen and sophomores may participate in the LECS Student Club, and then apply as scholars in the LECS program as juniors/seniors.
The application link below includes multiple survey questions and three short answer essay questions. The application also requires candidates to upload an unofficial copy of all college transcripts with the application below.
Law enforcement agencies will conduct an extensive background investigation for all candidates. Please answer the questions honestly and to the best of your knowledge. The application will take approximately thirty minutes to one hour to complete.
Application Helpful Hints:
- please limit your essay question answers to 400 words maximum each question.
- It is highly recommended that you type a draft in a word processing program (e.g. Microsoft Word) and then copy and paste the text into the online form.
Video: Welcome to the LECS Program
The LECS program is an exciting opportunity for Sacramento State students who are interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement. The program partners with the Sacramento Police Department and California Highway Patrol to help create pathways to paid law enforcement positions within the community.
Law Enforcement Candidate Scholars' Program
California State University, Sacramento
Division of Criminal Justice
6000 J Street
Alpine Hall 112, MS 6085
Sacramento, CA 95819
(916) 278-5157 | email@example.com