Skip to Main Content

Inside NSM My Sac State

Support Page Content

NSM Faculty Travel Instructions

Process & Guidelines for Travel

  1. Review the COVID Travel Checklist related to your planed destination. *Important links and information are provided within these documents and should be reviewed
    • For Demostic Travel, the Travel Expense Justification (TEJ) is no longer required as long as you can provide this information in Concur:

      Dept ID #

      Funding source ( or Unfunded)

      General Purpose of Travel

      Class coverage information

    • COVID Travel Checklist – International
  2. Review the Travel Safety Guidelines for COVID-19 Travel
  3. How to cancel Trip in Concur


  • UEI Travel Claim Form
  • For assistance with travel, please start with your Department Administrative Support Coordinator (ASC) first.
    • Meals:
      • Meals may only be claimed if NOT provided by the Conference or Event you are attending. A detailed conference program or agenda must be submitted with your Travel Justification. Fully itemized original receipts are required for reimbursement. Alcohol is NOT reimbursable, please purchase separately.
    • Driving Your Own Vehicle:
      • If you are using your personal vehicle while traveling, please see Risk Management's page at Driving on University Business and follow all instructions. A completed Drivers Authorization Packet must be completed BEFORE you travel.

        For assistance with travel, please start with your Department Administrative Support Coordinator (ASC) first.

  • Impact of Failure to Comply with Travel Policies and deadlines: Each Traveler is individually responsible for compliance with these procedures including, but not limited to, timely submission of his or her Travel Justification forms and Travel Expense Claim forms and obtaining the required approvals
  • Foreign Travel Insurance Request

    ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED IF YOU ARE LEAVING THE COUNTRY DURING THE ACADEMIC YEAR, REGARDLESS OF FUNDING (EVEN IF IT IS UNFUNDED); also required during the summer if your trip is for professional development or other University-related business and you are receiving any kind of University or auxiliary funding (auxiliaries are the Foundation and UEI). Premiums for travel by faculty will be made by Academic Affairs pending campus president and CSU Chancellor's Office approval, as needed.

    Fill out the Foreign Travel Insurance Request at least one month before your departure. Since this travel will be authorized by the presidents office.

Prohibited State-sponsored Travel

CSU is prohibited from approving state-funded or state-sponsored travel
Effective October 4, 2019, the bill added Iowa to the prohibited state list. Iowa will be the 11th state where state-funded or state-sponsored travel is prohibited.

Other states under the travel restrictions (as of 07/06/2021)

  • Alabama
  • Idaho
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Mississippi
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Florida (Starting from July 1, 2021)
  • Montana (Starting from July 1, 2021)
  • West Virginia (Starting from July 8, 2021)
  • Arkansas (Starting from July 29, 2021)
  • North Dakota (Starting from August 1, 2021)