Here are event highlights, with times and locations, for Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week:
Saturday, Nov. 10
- Improv, Why Not? Comedy Night: 5:30-7:50 p.m. in the University Union, Hinde Auditorium. Donations of cash, checks, and gently used clothing accepted.
Tuesday, Nov. 13
- “Cooking on a Budget” kitchen demonstration: 5-6 p.m. in the Cove at The WELL. Limited seating. Register online.
Wednesday, Nov. 14
- Basic Needs Resource Fair: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in Riverview Hall conference room. Students meet with local agency representatives for help with food, housing, insurance, childcare, and more. Free meal tickets for the Servery at the Dining Commons will be offered while supplies last.
- “Cooking on a Budget” kitchen demonstration: 11 a.m.-noon in the Cove at The WELL. Limited seating. Register online.
Thursday, Nov. 15
- CalFresh Outreach: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the University Union. Application assistance and information about the federal program that provides qualified individuals with cash benefits for groceries.
Friday, Nov. 16
- CapRadio Garden tour: 9 a.m., leaving from the ASI Hotspot at The WELL. Sac State Sustainability staff will demonstrate urban and micro gardening techniques. Students receive fresh-picked produce and compost to take home.
- “From Homeless to Entrepreneur”: Noon-1:30 p.m. in the Carlsen Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Library 1520. Panel discussion with Sac State alumni – Nhut Chiem (American Homestays) and Christina Preston (Shoes 4 Sacramento) – who started successful businesses after experiencing food and housing insecurity as students.
Monday, Nov. 19
- ASI Pop-Up Pantry: 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. in front of The WELL. Free produce, a cooking demonstration, and information about CalFresh benefits.
Tuesday, Nov. 13 through Friday, Nov. 16
- Menstruation Product Drive, hosted by the Centers for Diversity and Inclusion. Donate boxes of sanitary pads and tampons at the PRIDE Center/Women’s Resource Center in the University Union, first floor (next to Round Table Pizza.)
More information is available on the Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week page on the Sac State website.
Consult the Sac State campus map for event locations.