Welcome to Sac State Magazine’s 75th Anniversary special edition
June 15, 2023
We are proud to welcome you to the Sacramento State 75th Anniversary special edition of Sac State Magazine.
The latest edition of the magazine commemorates, highlights, and celebrates the University’s journey from its beginnings as Sacramento State College in 1947 to its status today as the sixth largest of the CSU’s 23 campuses. Approximately 31,000 students attend Sacramento State, and this year’s Commencement saw a record 9,574 eligible graduates.
Among the features in this edition are stories about student, faculty, and alumni success; updates on important programs, centers, and initiatives; a piece about the historic recent run of the Hornet football team; and profiles on President Robert S. Nelsen, who will retire in July after eight years leading the University, and a 96-year-old alumnus who graduated in 1957.
We hope that you enjoy the following stories, photographs, and videos from the magazine:
- 75 Years, and So Much to Consider
- Robert S. Nelsen leaves a legacy as a skilled president and a caring presence
- Sacramento State achievements under President Robert S. Nelsen's leadership
- There during some of Sac State's formative years, Anthony Francis is here now to help show why it matters
- On walls and elsewhere, campus comes alive with public art
- Campus and community rally behind historic Hornet football team
- Popular as ever, Planetarium shares beauty of deep space
- Hornet Family returns to campus after challenging pandemic years
- Professor's documentary takes a deep dive into scientific research
- University moves closer toward its antiracism and diversity goals
- Cultural centers take center stage as places of support and celebration
- Placer satellite campus takes important steps toward becoming a reality
- Outreach effort helps keep University's enrollment strong
Student Voices: Sac State, and here’s why
- Rachel Wolff
- Spencer Scruggs
- Aissatou Fall
- Anthony Perez
- Kenya Burton
- Zaid Darwish
- Talisa Vigil
- Yee Thao
- Vira Sypyuk
- President’s Message: Sac State has done so much — and is just getting started
- Class Notes: Notable Sac State grads and their accomplishments
- Until Next Time: The art of Sac State's refinement
As Sacramento State’s celebration of its 75th Anniversary comes to a close, learn more about the history and accomplishments of the University so far by visiting the 75th Anniversary timeline.