Related story: Spring Commencement designated as first City civic event
Sacramento State is excited to announce Golden 1 Center as its Spring Commencement venue, with ceremonies scheduled for Friday, May 19, and Saturday, May 20. Three prominent community members also will receive honors from the University during the two-day celebration.
“We are excited that this partnership will allow our Hornet Family to experience and celebrate graduation in a setting that showcases the best of Sacramento and has a profound connection to the region,” says President Robert S. Nelsen.
More than 5,300 students are eligible to participate in the ceremonies – the greatest number of eligible graduates that Sacramento State has had for its Spring Commencement exercises. At Commencement, Nelsen will award honorary doctorates to:
- Pastor Ephraim Williams, the Sacramento region’s most senior pastor, who leads St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church, one of the area’s largest congregations. Pastor Williams will be recognized at the 6:30 p.m. ceremony May 19.
- Cheryl Dell ’82 (Communication Studies), president and publisher of The Sacramento Bee. In 2014, she was named to the Sacramento Business Journal’s list of “Women Who Mean Business.” Dell will be recognized at the 1:30 p.m. ceremony May 20.
Nelsen also will award a President’s Medal for Distinguished Service to alumnus and president and CEO of Western Health Advantage Garry Maisel ’80 (Business Administration-Finance) during the 6:30 p.m. ceremony May 20.
Spring Commencement will mark the first time Sacramento State hosts its graduation ceremonies at the new downtown arena. The team at Golden 1 Center worked diligently with Sacramento State’s Commencement team to serve more graduates and guests than ever before.
The University will continue to feature a live-stream feed of the ceremonies with remote and replay viewing (available through the streaming link on the Commencement website, csus.edu/commencement). Additionally, the University will host a viewing party at the University Union on campus, with complimentary parking available for those who are not able to attend the ceremonies and want to view the live-stream feed.
Graduates participating in Spring Commencement can claim up to nine complimentary tickets for their guests on the Commencement website. When tickets are made available beginning Monday, April 10, the Sacramento State Alumni Facebook page will have a forum for graduates to exchange complimentary tickets with classmates who will not use their full allotment.
Commencement schedule (graduates and guests should arrive an hour before):
Friday, May 19
- 9:30 a.m. – College of Engineering and Computer Science (501 graduates)
- 2 p.m. – College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (348 graduates)
- 6:30 p.m. – College of Social Sciences and Interdisciplinary Studies (1,104 graduates)
Saturday, May 20
- 8 a.m. – College of Health and Human Services (1,333 graduates)
- 1:30 p.m. – College of Arts and Letters (876 graduates)
- 6:30 p.m. – College of Business Administration (615 graduates) and College of Education (527 graduates, plus 279 eligible credential students)
* Graduate totals as of March 6.
For more information regarding tickets, the live-stream feed, and general inquiries, visit Sacramento State’s Commencement website. – Elisa Smith