Skip to Main Content

Health Science College of Health & Human Services

Support Page Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about Health Science

Why should I major in Health Science?

The Bachelor of Science program in Health Science is a multi-disciplinary undergraduate degree that provides students with a foundation to pursue careers in the Allied Health Professions. The curriculum also provides many (if not all) of the pre-requisites necessary to pursue advanced education to become a nurse, physician assistant, physical therapist, occupational therapist, cardiac rehabilitation specialist, sonographer, health educator, and more.

Earning a BS in Health Science may help students advance their current healthcare careers to the next level, develop professional skills sought by health care employers, and prepare for graduate or professional programs in the Allied Health Professions.

What types of careers do Health Science majors pursue?

Below is a list of common careers that Health Science Majors pursue:

  • Nurse
  • Physician Assistant
  • Physical Therapist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Cardiovascular technician
  • Anesthesia technician
  • Dental hygienist
  • Occupational therapy assistant
  • Physical therapy assistant
  • Respiratory therapist
  • Surgical technician
  • Registered health information technician
  • Biomedical equipment technician
  • Medical lab technician
  • Cancer registrar
  • EKG technologist
  • Pharmacy technician
  • Paramedic
  • Veterinary technician
  • Radiation therapist
  • Medical assistant

What should I do if I’m not sure what career I would like to pursue?

There are many resources on the Sac State Career Center webpage to help you find a career that is right for you. When you click on the Career Center webpage, you will find two important links. The first link is called “FOCUS 2 Career”, in which you will take a personality assessment that identifies careers that appear to match well with your unique characteristics. The second link is “What Can I Do With This Major”, which explores the professions relevant to a large variety of majors on and off campus.

If I'm a Health Science Major does that mean I will get into Nursing?

No. If you are a Health Science Major, you will need to complete all pre-requisite requirements to submit a supplemental application to the nursing program. For more information, please visit the School of Nursing webpage.

What if I want to be a Nursing major, but am currently in Health Science

At Sac State, all students who are interested in Nursing begin as Health Science majors. The Nursing program requires students to complete specific pre- and co-requisite courses as well as take the TEAS exam before they are eligible to apply for the Nursing program. More information about the Nursing program requirements and how to apply is available on the School of Nursing webpage. You may also visit the following links:

Where can I get additional questions answered about the Nursing Program?

Our School of Nursing has a live chat as well as group advising sessions. To access the live chat and gain additional advising information, please visit the School of Nursing webpage.

Do I have to be a Health Science major to apply to the Nursing program?

Being a Health Science major is not a pre-requisite to apply to the Nursing program at Sac State. However, the curriculum is designed to provide students with the pre-requisites necessary for the supplemental application.

What happens if I don’t get accepted into the Nursing program?

The Nursing program only accepts up to 80 students per semester. If you don’t get accepted, do not be discouraged. You can finish your degree in Health Science (graduate with a BS in Health Science) and explore accelerated bachelor or master’s degree programs in Nursing. While Sac State does not offer a continuous Accelerated Second Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Entry Level Master’s track for post-baccalaureate students, we do offer a Second Bachelor’s degree, even when the University is closed to Second Bachelors (there is an exception for Nursing). If interested, please explore the School of Nursing webpage. For a list of accredited nursing programs, including Accelerated Second BSN or Entry Level Master’s programs offered in California, visit the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN).

With a BS in Health Science, you may also be eligible to apply for other types of graduate or professional schools in the Allied Health Professions. Students are encouraged to seek “prospective student” advising with programs and professional schools of interest that are outside of Sacramento State University.

Where can I go if I need help with major advising or course scheduling?

The Student Success Center in the College of Health and Human Services offers drop-in advising both online and in-person. The Student Success Center is located in Solano Hall, Room 3000. For hours of operation and links to virtual advising, please visit the HHS Student Success Center webpage.

How do I schedule an appointment with a Health Science advisor?

Instructions on how to schedule an appointment with your Health Science Advisor are located on the HHS Student Success Center webpage.

How do I submit a course substitution?

It is possible that you’ve taken a course at a community college or different university that you would like to use for your Health Science Major. It is also possible that you’d like to take a course that is not currently listed as a Health Science Elective. To determine whether you are eligible to make a course substitution, please visit with one of our advisors in the HHS Student Success Center. If the course is acceptable, our advisors will help you process the online forms.

How do I declare a different major?

If you want to declare a major other than Health Science, please reach out to that specific department or the Student Success Center that services that major and ask about the procedures for declaring that major. There are 6 other Student Success Centers on the CSUS campus for majors that do not fall under the College of Health and Human Services.

  1. Health and Human Services
  2. Arts and Letters
  3. Business
  4. Education
  5. Engineering & Computer Science
  6. Natural Sciences and Mathematics
  7. Social Sciences & Interdisciplinary Studies

Does the HLSC program have a minimum grade requirement?

The Health Science program expects you get a C- or better in your required coursework. However, please note that many graduate and professional programs in the Allied Health Professions require a C or better in all pre-requisite courses.

Does the BS in Health Science have a foreign language requirement?

Students graduating with a BS in Health Science will not be subject to the University’s Foreign Language Graduation Requirement. Students who change major may be subject to the University’s Foreign Language Graduation Requirement.

How do I choose my BIO & CHEM lower-division courses?

Freshman will be given a schedule that they can edit. For both freshman and transfer students, an advisor will work with you to select your best course options.

Should I take a BIO and CHEM course during the same semester?

Biology and Chemistry courses are very challenging courses. It is highly recommended that students take one science course at a time to be as successful as possible in each course.

Can I take some of my science courses at a JC or Community College?

There are many courses that you can take at a JC that will transfer to Sac State. However, you should meet with an advisor before taking those courses to ensure that they will fulfill your major or pre-requisite requirements.

How do I know when I’m eligible to apply for graduation?

In order to apply for graduation, a student must meet the following criteria and file by the appropriate deadline:

  • You must have 85 units completed at the point of applying for graduation
  • You must have a declared Major on record
  • You must have an assigned Major advisor on record
  • You must be enrolled as an undergraduate student
  • Second bachelor's students must meet with a graduation advisor to obtain a graduation application
  • If you’re ready to apply, please complete the graduation application on the graduate advising webpage.

What are the graduation application deadlines?

Please visit the graduation advising webpage to answer any graduation related questions.