Support Page Content
The undergraduate music major at Sacramento State is a rigorous four-year course of study with a traditional conservatory curriculum, providing classical or jazz training. We offer the Bachelor of Arts degree as well as the Bachelor of Music (jazz, music education, performance, or theory/ composition concentrations). All of our undergraduate degree concentrations have performance as a foundation. In addition to applying for admission to Sac State, all undergraduate applicants must complete an entrance audition.
Become a Music Major
Here are the steps to becoming an undergraduate or graduate music major at Sac State:
- Complete a Sac State admission application.
- Select your audition repertoire (see below) and Submit an Audition Application for acceptance to the School of Music
- For undergraduates: if you are accepted to the School of Music:
- Take the Piano Placement and Music Theory / Placement Tests
- Attend the University’s Orientation program
- Enroll in courses (If you have not completed the steps as outlined above and/or did not pass your audition, you will not be allowed to enroll in many courses required for the Music Major.
Mark Allen, Music Admissions, (916) 278-6543
Currrent music students: schedule your advising appointment with Mark Allen. Use the link below, and select "Advising" for the type of appointment, “School of Music Advising” for the Office, and “School of Music” for the Location.
All entering undergraduate music majors must take the theory, musicianship, and piano placement exams prior to initial enrollment (all music minors must take the theory and musicianship exams only). The theory and musicianship placement exams may be taken only once. The results of these exams will determine whether the entering student will begin the theory, musicianship, and class piano sequence in any of the lower-division courses or in the upper division.
The faculty of the School of Music has compiled lists of suggested repertoire for your entrance audition, as well as some basic information on what your studies here at Sac State will include. Below are links for individual instruments and areas of study. (This information assumes that you have already completed a Sac State admission application. You may audition prior to acceptance to Sacramento State.)
The worksheets below provide sample outlines of the classes you should take in order to graduate in 4 years from Sacramento State. Select your major concentration. Review the recommended GE course list from the College of Arts & Letters for help in selecting GE courses.