Support Page Content
The Music Major at Sacramento State is a rigorous four-year (Undergrad) or two-year (Graduate) course of study with a traditional conservatory curriculum, providing classical or jazz training. We offer the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Music
- Minor in Music
- Master of Music
- Graduate Performer's Certificate
All of our degree concentrations have performance as a foundation. In addition to applying for admission to Sac State, all applicants must complete an entrance audition (except Graduate candidates in Conducting or Composition).
- Graduate candidates in Conducting should contact the Graduate Coordinator
- Graduate candidates in Composition should submit a portfolio as outlined in the Audition Info sheet
Apply to Sac State
The first step to becoming a Music Major at Sac State is to complete a admission application to California State University, Sacramento. Select the correct option below:
* Graduate student applicants should read the Graduate Admissions Supplement for important information relating to your application
Once you've applied for admission to Sac State, select your audition repertoire (see the Audition Info table below) and submit an Audition Application to the School of Music for the correct semester of entrance:Fall 2022 Audition Application
- Prior to completing the Audition Application above, we recommend that you create lists of:
- Previous private instructors
- Performance group experiences
- Repertoire studied (at the end of this section in the Application, you are welcome to submit a statement of purpose for your desire to study Music at Sac State).
Fall 2022 auditions will be held virtually by video submission. Instructions are at the end of the Audition Application linked above.
Mark Allen, Music Admissions
The faculty of the School of Music has compiled lists of suggested repertoire for your entrance audition, as well as some basic information on what your studies here at Sac State will include. Below are links for individual instruments and areas of study. (This information assumes that you have already completed a Sac State admission application. You may audition prior to acceptance to Sacramento State.)
Scholarships are awarded based on the strength of your Entrance Audition. To qualify for scholarship consideration, you must audition on or before the February audition date (for the following academic year awards).
All entering Undergraduate music majors must take the theory, musicianship, and piano placement exams prior to initial enrollment (all music minors must take the theory and musicianship exams only). The theory and musicianship placement exams may be taken only once. The results of these exams will determine whether the entering student will begin the theory, musicianship, and class piano sequence in any of the lower-division courses or in the upper division.
New Advising Worksheets are coming for Fall 2022 - through Civitas. Stay tuned for more!
Want to learn more? Consider a Shadow Day! Spend a day with us on a weekday, and join one of our students as you attend classes, lessons, and rehearsals.